RD Ryan Merkley - Kunlun, KHL (2018, 21st, SJS; traded to COL, released) Part II

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Because you have no factual evidence to support your stance. Don't forget to include that.
I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here. Same question. What purpose would 'advising him' do? He's still not welcome.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Cool the exact same thing that was already shown as nothing to read into since it happened last year with Guelph as well.
Yup, all is good. Kid is not an issue at all and is a super team 1st kind of prospect with a level head and a willingness to change, learn and grow.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Hold on - are you going to argue that they aren't trying to trade him?

Did they not leave him off of their pre-season roster or did I make that up too?
Of course they are trying to trade him. They owe guelph 3 additional draft picks if he plays in the ohl this season and don't want to pay it.

Basically the sharks are doing everything in their power to groom a 1st round pick who had top potential by bringing him In weeks early before the Pete's even have camp. Same thing they did last year. He will learn more from Burns and Karlsson at the summer precamp scrimmages In those weeks than he would at his 3rd year of junior camps.

People like you are taking 2+2 and getting 8.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Of course they are trying to trade him. They owe guelph 3 additional draft picks if he plays in the ohl this season and don't want to pay it.

Basically the sharks are doing everything in their power to groom a 1st round pick who had top potential by bringing him In weeks early before the Pete's even have camp. Same thing they did last year. He will learn more from Burns and Karlsson at the summer precamp scrimmages In those weeks than he would at his 3rd year of junior camps.

People like you are taking 2+2 and getting 8.
The draft picks owed are nothing for a guy of Merkley's ability. If they were trying to trade him to avoid paying those then that actually hurts your argument as it would indicate the off-ice stuff has dropped his value that low to them.

Reactions: Torgo

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here. Same question. What purpose would 'advising him' do? He's still not welcome.

I am just saying he isn't banned. If they were to then they would be in breech of the player agreement. He isn't named onto the roster but a simple read of the article will inform those not wanting to rely on speculation.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California

Going off of this quote:

Ryan Merkley and Semyon Der-Arguchintsev were not among nearly 60 players put through fitness testing at Thomas A. Stewart Secondary School. Don't read too much into that says Petes GM Mike Oke.
Der-Arguchintsev had a mixup in travel arrangements coming from Russia and won't arrive until Tuesday, Oke said. He expects Der-Arguchintsev on the ice Tuesday for scrimmages.
"Ryan Merkley is already in San Jose preparing for training camp with the San Jose Sharks," Oke said. "This is the process they went through last year in Guelph. He didn't go to the first part of Guelph's camp, he went directly to San Jose. He's been down there now for a couple of weeks."

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I am just saying he isn't banned. If they were to then they would be in breech of the player agreement. He isn't named onto the roster but a simple read of the article will inform those not wanting to rely on speculation.

That's not really true. Reading the Standard Player Agreement there is way more grey area than your interpretation.

1) Looking at Schedule A 2.1(a) (the part about training facilities)- It doesn't say when that is. Clearly we don't think that the club is obligated to provide training facilities 365 days or 12 months. Yet the contract doesn't specify. Is training camp part of it? Doesn't say.

2) You've completely neglected the player's obligation under 4.1 and 4.2. In 4.1(a) it specifically says the player is obligated to report to the club's training camp "at the time and place designated by the club". Unsaid, and arguably implicit, is that the club can choose not to designate that. In other words- the player HAS to report when designated. That is explicitly stated in the player's obligations. However, it is not explicitly stated that the club HAS to allow a player to report. This doesn't seem like an omission, rather like a conscious decision in the agreement.

3) Player's obligation under 4.2(e)- about behavior and expectations (I won't quote it all, you can read it). The club can say that the player has violated that clause with his behavior is detrimental to the well-being of the club.

I'm not saying you are completely wrong, rather, that just by quoting 1 clause from a document without looking at all of it can lead to poor interpretations.

Reactions: Pia8988

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
That's not really true. Reading the Standard Player Agreement there is way more grey area than your interpretation.

That is true. I am not a lawyer and a lot of that under the agreement can be open various interpretation from those without fancy lawyering degrees.

1) Looking at Schedule A 2.1(a) (the part about training facilities)- It doesn't say when that is. Clearly we don't think that the club is obligated to provide training facilities 365 days or 12 months. Yet the contract doesn't specify. Is training camp part of it? Doesn't say.

2) You've completely neglected the player's obligation under 4.1 and 4.2. In 4.1(a) it specifically says the player is obligated to report to the club's training camp "at the time and place designated by the club". Unsaid, and arguably implicit, is that the club can choose not to designate that. In other words- the player HAS to report when designated. That is explicitly stated in the player's obligations. However, it is not explicitly stated that the club HAS to allow a player to report. This doesn't seem like an omission, rather like a conscious decision in the agreement.

I think this could explain the whole "left off the roster" talk. The GM has stated he is currently with the Sharks so the Petes have not requested his presence in camp. Maybe in the hopes that his time with older players may mature his attitude and professional? I can only speculate but that could be a reason.

3) Player's obligation under 4.2(e)- about behavior and expectations (I won't quote it all, you can read it). The club can say that the player has violated that clause with his behavior is detrimental to the well-being of the club.

I took that as just cause for the team to terminate his contract on their end. I just don't think they want to go that route. I could be wrong with that interpretation though.

I'm not saying you are completely wrong, rather, that just by quoting 1 clause from a document without looking at all of it can lead to poor interpretations.

I did look at the entire agreement. I left out the part concerning the player's responsibility not under dubious reasoning but rather I took it (as I just stated right now) for means to terminate the contract with Merkley.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Just to clarify my position on this entire matter, I tend to trust 93Leaf (my apologies if I don't have the correct username) with his posts about Merkley's transgressions. He has followed his career for a few year now. While I may not be entirely sure of validity of his sources, he does come across as genuine with his reports. Merkley DOES need a lot of maturing both physically and mentally if he is to succeed and survive in the NHL. I think I hold the same position with those commenting in this thread with regards to that. I am just on the more optimistic end of the spectrum, naturally as a Sharks fan. Not sure why there would be issue with that.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Just to clarify my position on this entire matter, I tend to trust 93Leaf (my apologies if I don't have the correct username) with his posts about Merkley's transgressions. He has followed his career for a few year now. While I may not be entirely sure of validity of his sources, he does come across as genuine with his reports. Merkley DOES need a lot of maturing both physically and mentally if he is to succeed and survive in the NHL. I think I hold the same position with those commenting in this thread with regards to that. I am just on the more optimistic end of the spectrum, naturally as a Sharks fan. Not sure why there would be issue with that.

Good post.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I still strongly believe in the talent. Despite all this turmoil I think he still makes the nhl. Tough love definately needed in some form. I think playing in the ahl w men could wise him up pretty quick w vets making him accountable. Maybe he flourishes. Maybe he crashes. I think he needs the challenge tho.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Peterborough confirms they are moving on from Ryan Merkley.

Peterborough Petes look to trade Merkley

If I had to guess his next OHL destination, Owen Sound comes to mind.

Here’s why:

The top 3 2000 birth year players selected from the minor midget Toronto Junior Canadiens in the 2016 OHL priority selection were Ryan Merkley (#1), Kirill Nizhnikov (#7), and Sergey Popov (#38).

Nizhnikov was drafted by Mississauga but wouldn’t report and was declared a defective pick. He was traded to Barrie for a small fortune, then traded by the Colts to Sudbury, left the Wolves on his own after 20 games, played for 2 Russian teams, and was traded to Owen Sound.

Attack GM Dale DeGray called Nizhnikov “misunderstood.”

Popov was drafted by Kingston, traded to London, and now traded to Owen Sound.

Those 2 players have been the property of 7 OHL teams in 3 seasons.

Clearly, Owen Sound is willing to acquire players who are well-travelled. As an organization, they must believe in their ability to effectively guide such players moving forward.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Peterborough confirms they are moving on from Ryan Merkley.

Peterborough Petes look to trade Merkley

If I had to guess his next OHL destination, Owen Sound comes to mind.

Here’s why:

The top 3 2000 birth year players selected from the minor midget Toronto Junior Canadiens in the 2016 OHL priority selection were Ryan Merkley (#1), Kirill Nizhnikov (#7), and Sergey Popov (#38).

Nizhnikov was drafted by Mississauga but wouldn’t report and was declared a defective pick. He was traded to Barrie for a small fortune, then traded by the Colts to Sudbury, left the Wolves on his own after 20 games, played for 2 Russian teams, and was traded to Owen Sound.

Attack GM Dale DeGray called Nizhnikov “misunderstood.”

Popov was drafted by Kingston, traded to London, and now traded to Owen Sound.

Those 2 players have been the property of 7 OHL teams in 3 seasons.

Clearly, Owen Sound is willing to acquire players who are well-travelled. As an organization, they must believe in their ability to effectively guide such players moving forward.

So it wasn’t an “advisement” not to come to camp?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Liked this part:
"While it's true Merkley went to San Jose early to prepare for the Sharks' NHL training camp, the Petes weren't telling the whole story when they told local media that was the reason he wasn't at fitness testing Aug. 26.
In late June the Petes informed Merkley's agent J.P. Barry they were considering moving on from the player and would explore trade options."

Not picking on the poster who posted the previous article, but please... whenever a GM (of any team) speaks to reporters can we ALWAYS assume that he isn't telling the whole truth and everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt and understanding that some spin is going on?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad