RD Ryan Merkley - Kunlun, KHL (2018, 21st, SJS; traded to COL, released) Part II

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Only good attention allowed, all the substantial red flags need to be ignored for him.

I’m in the camp that the lad can be redeemed and turn it around, but he needs to figure it out right ****ing now.
He clearly has the talent, its all between the ears now.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
It's only okay when it's not your team's player?

The kid just got asked to stay away from his OHL team's training camp. I think that's worthy of talking about.
I don’t engage in these negative discussions about players. I don’t see the point in ragging on a 19 year old over in over. I only look at these because sometimes theirs notable info on an important sharks prospect

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
His OHL team has banned him from training camp as they don't want him near their young players. They just had what many would call a very successful draft and don't want Merkley's habits around.

Good lord thats embarrassing

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
His OHL team has banned him from training camp as they don't want him near their young players. They just had what many would call a very successful draft and don't want Merkley's habits around.

I know he was left of the training camp roster but do you have proof he was banned from it?

Reactions: themelkman

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I know he was left of the training camp roster but do you have proof he was banned from it?
It's been noted on the Peterborough Petes page of HFboards.

Players on the team received texts from Merkley advising them that the organization told him to stay away from the camp.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
It's been noted on the Peterborough Petes page of HFboards.

Players on the team received texts from Merkley advising them that the organization told him to stay away from the camp.

That's right. I forgot about that tweet.

The #SJSharks 1st Rounder texted his teammates wishing them luck and that he was told not to bother coming back to Peterborough while they try and find him a new home.

Semantics but that sounds more like advisement than banning. Also, it should be noted that they would have to give up a number of picks if he does return.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014

Semantics but that sounds more like advisement than banning. Also, it should be noted that they would have to give up a number of picks if he does return.

The spin job continues. That is absolutely being banned from camp. They don’t want him anywhere near the team.

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
Jesus, guys. You think the picks matter for a player of Merkley's talent? Even if they did, if he wasn't toxic around the O then they could flip him and recoup + maybe more. The land of alternative facts here.

Reactions: Torgo

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Yes, semantics indeed. Teams would gladly give up those picks for a player as talented as Merkley, especially a team like Peterborough, who should be higher end team this year. Given the cost they payed for him last year and the fact they don't want anything to do with him, to me, speaks volumes.

IMO, he ends up waived.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

Question: if your boss tells you "don't bother coming in to work." Would you respond with "Hey, thanks for the advice. See you at 8 tomorrow"?

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
This dude is so selfish he has the audacity to need a second thread about himself. Sickening. Better get his head out of his ass or else.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Question for you: if Merkley were to show up for camp, do you think they would not allow him inside the facilities?

I have a hard time believing that if he were to show up that they would remove him from the area. They probably wouldn't like that he showed up but ultimately he is under contract with the team.

You’re either invited to camp or you aren’t. You can’t just show up.

Reactions: Bag Headed Hab Fan

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
You’re either invited to camp or you aren’t. You can’t just show up.

I deleted my post because it was an unlikely premise to begin with but he is under contract with the team and that gives him access.

http://cdn.leaguestat.com/ohl/2012

CONTRIBUTION TO PLAYER DEVELOPMENT: DUTIES OF THE CLUB
2.1 The Club agrees to provide the Player with:
a) training facilities and hockey equipment suitable for the use in playing hockey for the Club;
b) professional training, including supervised training periods and coaching in the fundamentals of hockey;

c) subject to the Club's evaluation and determination of its needs and the extent to which the talent of the Player suits those needs, the opportunity to demonstrate the player's talent and playing abilities to the public, the media, professional coaches or scouts;
d) an opportunity to initiate a hockey career (at the end of his junior career) by making all relevant data, information and/or statistics about the Player available to professional hockey organizations or others who may indicate an interest in the Player's career;
e) appropriate medical supervision for games in which the Player participates on behalf of the Club; and f) during the term of this agreement, the Club agrees to provide counselling where necessary with regard to the Player's schooling and school activities, to provide a tutor as necessary, and to provide monthly progress reports to the Player's parents regarding the Player's school activities and performance.

11. TERMINATION BY PLAYER 11.1 If the Club is in default of any payments or other benefits rightfully due to the Player as provided in this agreement or in performing any other of the Club’s obligations under this agreement, the Player may by notice in writing to the Club and to the OHL specify the nature of the alleged default. If the default has not been remedied within fifteen (15) days from the receipt of such notice by the Club and the OHL, this agreement may be terminated by the Player by notice in writing to the Club and the OHL on the sixteenth (16th) day following the Club’s receipt of such notice and all of the obligations of the parties shall cease, except for the obligation of the Club to pay the Player’s allowance to the date of termination.

So according to this, the player agreement they cannot "ban" him from camp unless they want to be in breech of the agreement and essentially allow him to terminate the contract. I don't think they would want to do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad