RD Rasmus Ristolainen (2013, 8th overall, Buffalo)

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
While this is true, I do think Ristolainen will be a top 5 dman in the league in a few years.

So which one of Doughty, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Hedman, Subban, Ekblad, OEL, Hamilton, Faulk, Letang, Josi is Risto going to be better than in a few years? Not to mention highly rated dman going to be drafted that become excellent dmen in a few years.

If Risto even becomes a top 15 dman in the league then everyone should be happy.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
So which one of Doughty, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Hedman, Subban, Ekblad, OEL, Hamilton, Faulk, Letang, Josi is Risto going to be better than in a few years? Not to mention highly rated dman going to be drafted that become excellent dmen in a few years.

If Risto even becomes a top 15 dman in the league then everyone should be happy.

It doesn't work like that. You could have asked the same question about Faulk and Josi and more recently Ekblad. Players rise and players fall off.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
I don't think there's a real bias.

All Sabres fans seem to be very excited about Ristolainen, and I know I have him in my top 5 for the 2013 draft as well.

Fans of other teams don't think he's that good because he has poor stats playing on an awful team. It has nothing to do with him being a finnish player.

Exactly. There are plenty of praise given to Europeans playing on teams that are being watched on a league wide basis, whereas very few outsiders watch the Sabres, which is why Ristolainen's success has gone unnoticed by many.

Case in point, I only recently found out that OEL is having hell of a season and broke a record of the most goals by a Swedish defenceman in a single season, and he's having twice as good a season as Ristolainen statistically.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
It doesn't work like that. You could have asked the same question about Faulk and Josi and more recently Ekblad. Players rise and players fall off.

But the fact is is that unless a miracle happens he won't be better than half those players. Never mind the younger players that will surpass him. Those dmen I listed are still relatively young and not a lot of young top dmen just fall off especially when half them are just starting to come into their own on a much higher level than Risto.

Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of his but he won't be a top 5 dman in the league. Too many people think their team's young dmen are going to be the best and win Norris Trophys.

Gar Glow

Mar 23, 2015
It may be premature to say he'll be q top 5 dman, but he has the complete package as a 20 y/o dman, and currently is plaplaying at a high level in the nhl. I've always had a tough time projecting his offensive upside since he has played against men since he was like 16. I'd suggest somewhere along the lines of 15 goals and 50 points. However it wouldnt surprise me if he focus more on the defensive side of the game while, and becomes a Seabrook like shutdown d man. I also could see him playing blasting 20 goals a year. Anyways I wonder how far he has risin in other peoples eyes, relative to other young dmen like trouba, murray, jones, hamilton and such. For my money...

Ekblad
Jones
Risto
Trouba
Hamilton
Lindholm
Reilly
Murray
Nurse
Pouliot
Brodin
Larson
Dumba
Reinhart
Koek
Fleury

Just top 10's.. thats a lit of young d talent..

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
It may be premature to say he'll be q top 5 dman, but he has the complete package as a 20 y/o dman, and currently is plaplaying at a high level in the nhl. I've always had a tough time projecting his offensive upside since he has played against men since he was like 16. I'd suggest somewhere along the lines of 15 goals and 50 points. However it wouldnt surprise me if he focus more on the defensive side of the game while, and becomes a Seabrook like shutdown d man. I also could see him playing blasting 20 goals a year. Anyways I wonder how far he has risin in other peoples eyes, relative to other young dmen like trouba, murray, jones, hamilton and such. For my money...

Ekblad
Jones
Risto
Trouba
Hamilton
Lindholm
Reilly
Murray
Nurse
Pouliot
Brodin
Larson
Dumba
Reinhart
Koek
Fleury

Just top 10's.. thats a lit of young d talent..

Don't forget Määttä. Calling any young defender who's still far away from reaching his full potential a Norris winner is risky business.

RickyR

Dec 8, 2013
I thought that Risto would be more the shutdown mold at the start of the season, and that's sort of where he was spending his time.

But, as the season has worn on, he has shown that he has some incredible offensive instincts. I wouldn't be surprised if be breaks out as one of the premier offensive Ds once Buffalo starts improving.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
But the fact is is that unless a miracle happens he won't be better than half those players. Never mind the younger players that will surpass him. Those dmen I listed are still relatively young and not a lot of young top dmen just fall off especially when half them are just starting to come into their own on a much higher level than Risto.

Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan of his but he won't be a top 5 dman in the league. Too many people think their team's young dmen are going to be the best and win Norris Trophys.
My point was it doesn't take a miracle. That's pretty much the opposite of what I said. :laugh:

Gar Glow

Mar 23, 2015
Don't forget Määttä. Calling any young defender who's still far away from reaching his full potential a Norris winner is risky business.

Oh ya without a doubt I'd have Maatta somewhere in the middle of that list. I was just doing the top 10 picks from recent years.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013

A miracle? More than a few of those players listed weren't nearly as good as Ristolainen a year after they were drafted. Josi was playing in Switzerland, Weber in WHL etc.

Saying that it will take a miracle to be at the same group is even more stupid that to say that player x will be a Norris-winner.

I also don't think you really are aware of the pace that Ristolainen is developing right now. The funny part here is that he didn't really lived like a pro until he came to NHL. This is not to say that he is a lazy guy. He has just been that talented, that he has been able to dominate without really working his ass off. Now he is starting to understand the importance of right nutrition and the amount of work you need to do to get to the top, and we are seeing the results. I expect him to make big strides next off-season as he made last off-season as well.

I'm not saying he will be surefire Norris-winner, but the possibility of him being among the elite defenders in this league within 2-4 years is far from miracle.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
The funny part here is that he didn't really lived like a pro until he came to NHL. This is not to say that he is a lazy guy. He has just been that talented, that he has been able to dominate without really working his ass off. Now he is starting to understand the importance of right nutrition and the amount of work you need to do to get to the top, and we are seeing the results. I expect him to make big strides next off-season as he made last off-season as well.

True that, most Finnish kids try to gain weight in North America, Risto worked to lose 15 pounds (and did lose them) between last and this season. :)

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014

It's really hard to think you're a really a fan of his.. While you think he cant be better than several young dman, that who havent even shown anything yet at NHL..

And you cant also think he got tools to become top-5 dman or even top10 in the league, even that most of us think so..

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg

Too many people think they can predict the future...

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
All the top defensemans peak seasons kind of ebb and flow where they absolutely dominate for a year followed up with some top-10 caliber play. Some just seem to always hover in the top-3-5 a la Weber.

There's no reason not to suggest that Risto could potentially win a Norris, not that it's a guarantee at all. If Buffalo becomes the powerhouse they plan to with Risto as their #1D, I don't know why it'd be hard to fathom him winning a Norris.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I don't think there's a real bias.

I'd say there is. He has similar stats to what Rielly has had in the past two years. Now compare the hype they get in the NA mainstream hockey media. I'm not saying that Rielly doesn't merit the hype, but it's a bit unfortunate that no-one seems to be buzzing about Ristolainen.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I'd say there is. He has similar stats to what Rielly has had in the past two years. Now compare the hype they get in the NA mainstream hockey media. I'm not saying that Rielly doesn't merit the hype, but it's a bit unfortunate that no-one seems to be buzzing about Ristolainen.

If you guys get McDavid im guessing the sabers would get more exposure in Canada, its sad/awesome that Sabers fans are my eyes and ears about this guy.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal

I don't know, the difference is that Rielly plays in Toronto to me. I feel like people on these boards would probably take Ristolainen ahead of Rielly too.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki

The amount of hype and media coverage each player is exposed to is determined by the team the player in question plays for and, more importantly, the size of its fanbase (among many other things of course), but not the nationality of the player. Rielly would be as much hyped if he was Finnish, Swedish or Russian, as evident with many European players having played in Toronto over the years.

Sure there will always be Don Cherrys in the mix but in the grand scheme of things the hockey world is impartial to players with different nationalities.

jayck

Aug 5, 2013
Montreal
The amount of hype and media coverage each player is exposed to is determined by the team the player in question plays for and, more importantly, the size of its fanbase (among many other things of course), but not the nationality of the player. Rielly would be as much hyped if he was Finnish, Swedish or Russian, as evident with many European players having played in Toronto over the years.

Sure there will always be Don Cherrys in the mix but in the grand scheme of things the hockey world is impartial to players with different nationalities.
Exactly!
Just look the hype William Nylander is getting with the Maple Leaf!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad