RD Rasmus Ristolainen (2013, 8th overall, Buffalo)

Bonlarvis

Feb 4, 2015
Hamburg NY
Risto might end up as the best D-Man taken in that draft. Crazy that he is only 20. If non-Sabre fans had a reason to watch him play, I think he would be getting a ton more hype.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
All the Sabres games I've watched this season, Risto stands out. He makes smart quick breakout passes. No panic in his game. That 2013 draft is sick. Monahan is beast too (and I'm an Oilers fan).

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Gonna be fun to watch Risto next year. Looks like he is starting to come into his own, as a 20 year old. That's hella impressive. Now if just my boy Zads could do the same...

Bps21*

Zadorov will benefit from the presence of an actual coach in the near future. Ristolainen just figured it out quicker. Which jibes with everything we've heard and seen about Ristolainen since the draft. It's rare to see a player learn and adapt as fast as he does. He makes mistakes and then he just doesn't anymore. If the sabres ever have offense his numbers are going to be wild.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Risto might end up as the best D-Man taken in that draft. Crazy that he is only 20. If non-Sabre fans had a reason to watch him play, I think he would be getting a ton more hype.

Ristolainen being American wouldn't hurt the cause either. :sarcasm:

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
Risto is incredible, very hard to accomplish what he is doing while on the worst team in the league.

ZeroPT*

He almost beat Chicago by himself, guy is going to be fun to watch going forward

seriously. He was so good yesterday. We're witnessing the formation of an absolute star in front of our own very eyes. I don't doubt for even a second that he could produce just as much if not more than Ekblad if they switched situations.

Bonlarvis

Feb 4, 2015
Hamburg NY
seriously. He was so good yesterday. We're witnessing the formation of an absolute star in front of our own very eyes. I don't doubt for even a second that he could produce just as much if not more than Ekblad if they switched situations.

Watching him last night, he seemed like a 30yr old All-Star vet. I can't even imagine how good he can be in a few years.

If we didnt have Risto, I think more folks would be higher on Zads. Zads would be a promising player who shows flashes of real potential, and we would be very excited about his play at a young age.

However, because Risto has been so good, we compare the two and wonder why Zads still makes boneheaded mistakes. Really wish Zadorov was able to play in Rochester this year.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench

Ristolainen is the real deal. Having watched the Sabres pretty closely the last few games, he's been a real bright spot and exciting to watch. He looked like he's Norris material. The only guy with that much talent on D that I get to watch is OEL, and Risto has looked just as impressive. In fact, he's even more agile and crafty then OEL, which is pretty impressive.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Ristolainen being American wouldn't hurt the cause either. :sarcasm:

Yes, that or canadian, then the hype would be more crazy.

But also those 2 things goes little hand in hand, perhaops a big reason why it is easier for NA players to get more hype is because fans of other teams do not watch much of other teams players but when they do, who do they focus on? Canadians and americans of course, and so do non local media for all teams. European can be very appreciated among the local team fans, but outside they have often much harder to get recognition, and in the end that will also effect the local fans view of the player compare to others because they also read national media, so the circle become complete. That is not an excuse for the extreme biased towards NA players, but maybe a explanation.

Last edited:

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I don't think there's a real bias.

All Sabres fans seem to be very excited about Ristolainen, and I know I have him in my top 5 for the 2013 draft as well.

Fans of other teams don't think he's that good because he has poor stats playing on an awful team. It has nothing to do with him being a finnish player.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
I don't think this was about Sabres fans' bias, but generally in the hockey media. There's an Eastern bias and then there is a Canadian bias, because of the places where most of the hockey media and also fans are located. Buffalo would normally benefit from the Eastern bias, but probably not right now because the attention is at how badly they're playing...

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Ristolainen played good offensively but was largely responsible for both late Toews' goals. He's playing good but I think he'll be a lot better after he puts on a little more weight, he still looks like a stick out there.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
Ristolainen played good offensively but was largely responsible for both late Toews' goals. He's playing good but I think he'll be a lot better after he puts on a little more weight, he still looks like a stick out there.

He dropped about 15 pounds over the summer. He's better for it.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007

All Sabres fans seem to be very excited about Ristolainen, and I know I have him in my top 5 for the 2013 draft as well.

Fans of other teams don't think he's that good because he has poor stats playing on an awful team. It has nothing to do with him being a finnish player.

Bingo.

See :

Tyler Myers on Sabres this season : 47 games, 13 points, -15
Tyler Myers on the Jets this season: 21 games, 14 points, +8

It's insanely hard to have good stats on the Sabres right now.

ZeroPT*

His partner was Meszaros. Who sucks at everything. Mess IIRC was the one with the stupid play which Risto had to cover for.

One thing Ristolainen is so insanely good at is moving the puck. I remember a play in a game vs Minny, I was literally awestruck. He had the puck in his feet, and was basically in the blue paint, there was a forward on his back and he turned, got away and sprung Gionta for a 2-1 with a perfect 2 zone, tape to tape pass. He's so calm.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Yes, that or canadian, then the hype would be more crazy.

But also those 2 things goes little hand in hand, perhaops a big reason why it is easier for NA players to get more hype is because fans of other teams do not watch much of other teams players but when they do, who do they focus on? Canadians and americans of course, and so do non local media for all teams. European can be very appreciated among the local team fans, but outside they have often much harder to get recognition, and in the end that will also effect the local fans view of the player compare to others because they also read national media, so the circle become complete. That is not an excuse for the extreme biased towards NA players, but maybe a explanation.

Well, the comparable is football - where this Brasilian kid called Neymar was hyped and chased by every major club for 2-3 years before crossing the ocean to the big leagues to prove he is the star everyone raved about. (prospect-> star)
Top players of football clubs are raved about regardless of nationality, both stars and those who are very good, not only now vut in the past too. Ask any European to name not stars but a bunch of very good foreigners from now, the recent past even further past and they'll talk for hours

So it is imo bias. But the thing that is radically different in hockey and in football - is at 60% + of NHL players are North America. While 60%+ of football players in european top league of choice are foreigners. So that, imo affects (national bias) it the most.

But back on topic, Risto will be good. He was the star of our WJC team and will be a star in the NHL, all we (Finland) need now is stay-at-home dmen and we'll be set..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad