RD Rasmus Ristolainen (2013, 8th overall, Buffalo)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Haven't seen anything on here about him. Has anyone seen him play and what can they tell me about him? Apparently one of Finland's better D at the WJC this year.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Haven't seen anything on here about him. Has anyone seen him play and what can they tell me about him? Apparently one of Finland's better D at the WJC this year.

Watch Canada-Finland game and you see that he is best and most talented finnish D-man in that team. He's on the 1st PP unit. Rough and likes to play physical game. Very aggressive infront of own net. Very smooth skater, smart with the puck and big part of his passes reaches his own teammate. His weakest asset is definetly not being consistent at own-zone. Positioning is weakish sometimes. He's very calm with the puck but without the puck he needs to be smarter. He's physically in good shape and confidence with the puck is great but if he want to be top 10 pick he needs to mature up his game without the puck. He will most likely go in the 5-15 range of 2013 draft depends on team needs.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Sounds like the Finnish Adam Larsson?

Ristolainen is better skater and as good puck mover if not better. Better offensively and his imagination at the offensive-zone is better but Larsson is rock solid at own end nearly all the time and Ristolainen is not. The difference of his bad and good game is quite big and Larsson is ok at his worst game. I would take Larsson over Ristolainen mostly because of his safe and consistent play at the own-zone ,wouldn't be so hard decision but if Ristolainen matures his game mentally into more safe game he has potential to pass Larsson. They both have similar path (2 full seasons against men before the draft) but they aren't similar players.

cenas*

Sounds like the Finnish Adam Larsson?

He comes short of Larsson a bit in just about everything except maybe actual height (its close)..

Even then he is pretty much a lock to the finnish national team for years to come. We got 6/7th defense man guys playing for Suomi all the time :(

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
He and Pulock will be nice consolation prizes for those who miss out on the big forward group and Jones. Really like RR's upside.

mikko1995

May 30, 2010
Really? Imo Ristolainen can easily score about 40 points and more if he hits his upside.

Sure, he can hit 40 points, but points don't tell everything about offensive skills. I find Brent far better than Rasmus with the puck in his stick (not that Rasmus is bad either, he makes a very solid first pass).

I think Rasmus can become a #1 D in the NHL, but IMO he's a lot more likely to be a great physical #2 who chips in 30-35 points; and there's no shame in that.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
Saw this on Twitter just now.

@MaStrozyk
Rasmus Ristolainen just checked Jokerit F Tomi Mäki into the bench. Just an FYI. #NHLDraft

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Damn kids huge!!

Those Jokerit jerseys rock :silly:

And the best thing about his size is, he actually uses it. Makes the best and strongest hits from the whole TPS team IMO. It's rare to see a Finnish D who's strong with the puck AND also has the frame and the will to use it. You see this guy in every scrum after whistle, if there is one. Not taking **** from anyone, loved how he gave Ruutu some facewashes at games against Jokerit (didn't see this one so don't know if he did here).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad