RD Rasmus Ristolainen (2013, 8th overall, Buffalo)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
All praise aside, Ristolainen's definitely having an off night tonight with these minuses:

[NHL]2014020437-262-h[/NHL]

[NHL]2014020437-268-h[/NHL]

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
Yeah, nothing suggests that Jacob Trouba will be a better defenceman than Matthew Dumba. Nothing suggests that Zemgus Girgensons is going to be a better center than Radek Faksa. Nothing suggests that Brandon Saad will be better winger than Sven Bärtschi. Nothing suggests that Olli Määttä will be better defenceman than Slater Koekkoek.

Maybe wait and see until they are all NHL regulars.
Haha I can play this game too; Jeff Skinner and Ryan Johansen, OEL and Hedman, Pietrangelo and Myers. What's the common denominator? O yeah, the higher drafter player took more time to develop and became the better NHLer, despite the other guys having greater and earlier starts to their careers.

And yeah Risto is sure lighting it up in the NHL like Saad and Trouba are with his 8 points in 63 games, great examples you used there. Obviously points don't tell the whole story, but people are acting like this guy is playing like Ekblad when he's not. Of course he's ahead of Nurse in his development, he's been playing against men since he's been 16 and most defensemen don't usually start playing in the NHL until they're 21 or older.

I know Risto will be a great player and yeah, he might be better than Nurse and vice-versa, but to say something like the oilers should have drafted him instead of Nurse is pretty ridiculous right now. You also have to look at the team's they're on. Although the oilers are sucking hard, they brought it a few guys this summer so their blueline was mostly filled. It could be the other way around and Nurse could be getting lots of time on Buffalo's blueline. It's way to early to say one's better than the other.

rsg87

Apr 1, 2011
Haha I can play this game too; Jeff Skinner and Ryan Johansen, OEL and Hedman, Pietrangelo and Myers. What's the common denominator? O yeah, the higher drafter player took more time to develop and became the better NHLer, despite the other guys having greater and earlier starts to their careers.

And yeah Risto is sure lighting it up in the NHL like Saad and Trouba are with his 8 points in 63 games, great examples you used there. Obviously points don't tell the whole story, but people are acting like this guy is playing like Ekblad when he's not. Of course he's ahead of Nurse in his development, he's been playing against men since he's been 16 and most defensemen don't usually start playing in the NHL until they're 21 or older.

I know Risto will be a great player and yeah, he might be better than Nurse and vice-versa, but to say something like the oilers should have drafted him instead of Nurse is pretty ridiculous right now. You also have to look at the team's they're on. Although the oilers are sucking hard, they brought it a few guys this summer so their blueline was mostly filled. It could be the other way around and Nurse could be getting lots of time on Buffalo's blueline. It's way to early to say one's better than the other.

Look at Ristos advanced stats vs. Ekblads. Risto is facing tougher competition. Also Ristos most common line mate is a 19 year old rookie while Ekblad's is Brian Campbell. Then look at there offensive zone starts Ekblad's is 55% Risto is 41%. Ekblad is being sheltered in ways Risto isn't

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
Look at Ristos advanced stats vs. Ekblads. Risto is facing tougher competition. Also Ristos most common line mate is a 19 year old rookie while Ekblad's is Brian Campbell. Then look at there offensive zone starts Ekblad's is 55% Risto is 41%. Ekblad is being sheltered in ways Risto isn't
Sheltered? Ekblad averages more TOI than Risto and Campell has been awful this year. Ekblad has more than double the points Campell has too, so interpret that however you want. And of course Risto will have less offensive zone starts, he plays for the ****ing sabres.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Sheltered? Ekblad averages more TOI than Risto and Campell has been awful this year. Ekblad has more than double the points Campell has too, so interpret that however you want. And of course Risto will have less offensive zone starts, he plays for the ****ing sabres.

You realize it's % zone starts right...?

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
You realize it's % zone starts right...?
:laugh:
Fair enough, that does have merit to it then. Nevertheless, I think buffalo fans can agree Ekblad is having a greater season than Risto. But playing on the Sabres will definitely increase your defensive zone start % regardless of the type of player you are. 27% of Buffalo's faceoffs are taken in the O-zone compared to 39% in their own end. I doubt there are many players with O-zone starts over 50% on that team.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Fair enough, that does have merit to it then. Nevertheless, I think buffalo fans can agree Ekblad is having a greater season than Risto. But playing on the Sabres will definitely increase your defensive zone start % regardless of the type of player you are. 27% of Buffalo's faceoffs are taken in the O-zone compared to 39% in their own end. I doubt there are many players with O-zone starts over 50% on that team.

I'd say they are playing close to each other's level. It's kind of a strange debate to be having considering they're both doing very well. And you're right about the ozone starts for Risto. Buffalo does that to you, but it doesn't make it any less of a burden on someone on the receiving end. Florida is doing what they should with Ekblad. He's getting easier minutes on a better offensive team, which shows up on the stat sheet. I don't why it even has to be an argument, they're both playing well.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

So now the debate is whether Risto is as good as 1st overall Ekblad a guy who went right to the show like Risto rather than Nurse who can't crack the Oilers garbage d lineup. Good the madness ended.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
So now the debate is whether Risto is as good as 1st overall Ekblad a guy who went right to the show like Risto rather than Nurse who can't crack the Oilers garbage d lineup. Good the madness ended.

Darnell Nurse has taken a big step forward in his development, and has shown well in the NHL preseason games. Just because he isn't in the NHL at 19 doesn't mean a damn thing.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Darnell Nurse has taken a big step forward in his development, and has shown well in the NHL preseason games. Just because he isn't in the NHL at 19 doesn't mean a damn thing.

Lovely and I'm sure he will do just fine when he does make the Oilers. So I guess I'll ignore Ristos accomplishments until Nurse catches up....

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

It's better for his development to be in Juniors.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Not sure what 1972 was passionately defending.

Not defending anything, it's just extremely pre mature when these players were drafted in 2013 and one was considered raw at the time of the draft while the other has been playing pro. Rasmus was considered NHL ready at the draft, everyone though Nurse needed time.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Not defending anything, it's just extremely pre mature when these players were drafted in 2013 and one was considered raw at the time of the draft while the other has been playing pro. Rasmus was considered NHL ready at the draft, everyone though Nurse needed time.

That's fine and I'm not saying Nurse is a bum. But I see no way to argue that Nurse has done anything to show he will be as good as Risto. They have similar size and Risto has made the jump earlier and is getting the jump on experience. At this point Nurse needs to make the Oil next year or the year after and still show that he can play at Ristos level. Let's agree he has a lot of catching up to do at this point.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Ristolainen reminds me so much of Marco Scandella. The only difference is that Ristolainen probably has a higher upside and is a righty. Otherwise, they're like carbon copies. Both are quite big, mobile D-men who aren't afraid to get physical at times and will join the rush.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
wohhh...never nerver never compare scandella to Risto

not agains't Scandella, but he's a stay at home D...and ristoleinen look more and more like a futur top pairing D...

just Imagine Ristoleinen with a good team like the wild...

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Ristolainen reminds me so much of Marco Scandella. The only difference is that Ristolainen probably has a higher upside and is a righty. Otherwise, they're like carbon copies. Both are quite big, mobile D-men who aren't afraid to get physical at times and will join the rush.

Risto has much better hands, skating and hockey IQ. Scandella is very solid top4 defenseman though.

Bps21*

So much of Ristolainen's game is squandered by the lack of forward play in front of him that it isn't funny. You can't join rushes that don't exist...and you can't drive with the puck when you're constantly covering turnovers. He can occasionally get his great shot from the point off and show off his breakout pass...but largely he's only able to show off his defensive abilities right now.

There was a game before Buffalo started winning some game...it was against Minnesota I believe...where they were getting routed and in the third period Nolan let Ristolainen and Zadorov get their first big minutes together...and Risto went into full "F it" mode and started skating through and around people and creating his own chances. It was pretty wild since he's always so locked into his own end. He (and Zadorov) exuded so much confidence (and BTW...weren't on the ice for any of the 6 goals allowed that night) and it carried over into the Sabres little run they went on.

He's got a lot more than he's able to use right now.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
After deadline:

25:35, 24:51, 28:36, 28:11, 28:23, 24:06, 24:23, 26:44, 23:59, 24:02, 22:29

Those are absolutely giant minutes for a 20-years old playing against top competition with Weber/Meszaros

During those 11 games he has produced 4+2, +2.

And he has also played extremely well, like a veteran at least 300 games under his belt.

Let next season be the ultimate breakout! :handclap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad