RD PK Subban (2007, 43rd, MTL)

Manny*

The Habs are a lucky bunch. I would kill for the Sens to grab this dude. Has number one defenceman written all over him.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Some (not me) say that this kid won't make it as an NHL d-man because they don't think he can handle the defensive aspect. Well if I'm Montreal and I decide he can't make it on the blueline, my next move would be to throw him on the wing. He has an amazing array of offensive moves based off the half-wall or coming out of the corner, and he can really hold guys off down low.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Doesn't he have like a "C" on hockey's future? I'm surprised because this kid seems really talented.

Shabutie

Jul 26, 2004
Ottawa
Doesn't he have like a "C" on hockey's future? I'm surprised because this kid seems really talented.
''C'' = how close a prospect is to being ready to play in the NHL. For example a prospect with an ''A'' rating is seen as ready for the pros. The ratings of potential is the number (8.0-9.0).

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Some (not me) say that this kid won't make it as an NHL d-man because they don't think he can handle the defensive aspect. Well if I'm Montreal and I decide he can't make it on the blueline, my next move would be to throw him on the wing. He has an amazing array of offensive moves based off the half-wall or coming out of the corner, and he can really hold guys off down low.
These critics are from his draft day that have followed him today even though hes not the same player anymore. His game is comparable to Dan Boyle or Mike Green but he's stronger physically than both. Im not saying that he will reach that level but its the same style.

In this new era of the game, you will need thse types of D like Keith, Boyle, Green, Campbell, Rafalski, Streit in your team. They will help your transition greatly, take good decisions with the puck, carry the puck out of the zone and boost your offense. Its a new brand of D, get used to it. For the record, PK is very good in his zone.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
These critics are from his draft day that have followed him today even though hes not the same player anymore. His game is comparable to Dan Boyle or Mike Green but he's stronger physically than both. Im not saying that he will reach that level but its the same style.

In this new era of the game, you will need thse types of D like Keith, Boyle, Green, Campbell, Rafalski, Streit in your team. They will help your transition greatly, take good decisions with the puck, carry the puck out of the zone and boost your offense. Its a new brand of D, get used to it. For the record, PK is very good in his zone.

Keith does not belong in that list. He is EXCELLENT defensively. Subban is nothing like him.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I wasnt putting them in the "BAD defensively" category, its more about their style. BTW Subban will surprise a few with his defensive play in the future.
I didn't say that list was a 'bad on D', just pointing out that Keith doesn't fit the category. He's far more defensively capable than anyone in that list. He's among the best in the league. Subban is good defensively, but his issue is positional play...which can be taught.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
I think the Dan Boyle comparison is a good one. Just because his style doesnt fit the mold of d-men. Mark Streit is proving his critics wrong. I just dont get the disdain for these types of d-men.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
''C'' = how close a prospect is to being ready to play in the NHL. For example a prospect with an ''A'' rating is seen as ready for the pros. The ratings of potential is the number (8.0-9.0).

No... The C rating is the likely hood of them hitting that number potential.

With a C rating, the player can possibly fall down two spots number wise.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
It won't happen..but let's just say PK Subban went back into the draft

....where would he likely go?

Is it safe to assume he'd be a top 10 pick?

It's very unlikely it'd happen..and I'm hoping it won't. But what if?

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Vicarious

Oct 11, 2007
Toronto
Mid-late first round. Hes talented, but his defensive game needs refining. I see him as a little better than Ryan Ellis.

Sharp Skates

Aug 13, 2008
Helsinki
Mid-late first round. Hes talented, but his defensive game needs refining. I see him as a little better than Ryan Ellis.

I take it you haven't seen him a play much lately. His defensive game is excellent due to his good positioning and great skating. He just doesn't get beat 1-on-1.

A 6'0" 200 pounds D-Man that is second in the OHL in PPG amongst D would probably be a top-10 pick yes.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
In the history of the draft, re-entries, even the incredibly talented ones (like Subban) tend to not go incredibly high.

If you want a perfect example to compare by, take a look at Jarret Stoll. Was a comparable prospect to Subban, was a 2nd round pick originally, played in 2 WJC's for Canada (captaining one of them), won a Memorial Cup championship as captain, put up outstanding stats in the WHL.

Yet...as a re-entry was only an early 2nd round selection.

The early 2nd round is probably where I'd peg him.

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
I agree with Brock, he was drafted in the 2nd round and he'll likely stay there. GM's have an unwritten rule that they never re-draft a player higher than he was originally taken. For the discouragement of the others...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Granted, it only takes one GM to think of him highly enough to take him.

That said, one of the other issues that tends to drive redraftees stock down a bit is that the 18-year olds are still viewed through the prism of development while a 20-year old has less potential, more factual evidence of their play. Not that it means a hill of beans if the 18-year old does not tear the lid off his development, but it is a factor in the drafting gamble.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad