RD PK Subban (2007, 43rd, MTL)

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Talented, Talented Kid

... and I can't remember seeing another offensively talented OHL defenseman who was so indifferent to defensive play.

As a coach, I would be pissed off if one of my centermen were as casual and brain-fart prone in his own end, let alone a defenseman.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
... and I can't remember seeing another offensively talented OHL defenseman who was so indifferent to defensive play.

As a coach, I would be pissed off if one of my centermen were as casual and brain-fart prone in his own end, let alone a defenseman.
Have you even seen the kid play he is a great player and will likely be a 1st round selection in the draft. Let's see what other defenceman on the (Montreal Canadiens) has had a good career so far while playing horrific defence. He didnt say he would be a Chris Pronger or Scott Niedermayer.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Have you even seen the kid play he is a great player and will likely be a 1st round selection in the draft. Let's see what other defenceman on the (Montreal Canadiens) has had a good career so far while playing horrific defence. He didnt say he would be a Chris Pronger or Scott Niedermayer.

Son, I would be surprised if literally anyone on this entire forum has seen PK play more than I have. I have been watching him play in the GTHL since minor bantam, and have seen him play with Belleville roughly a dozen times in the past two seasons.

He is a good skater with a powerful stride and lives to jump into the rush. He has better than average hands for a defenseman. Ever since he was 13, and still today, he will try to go coast to coast every time he gets the puck in his own end with some room and a head of steam. When he tries that, he will cough it up in his own end or in the neutral zone around 50% of the time.

I'm not old enough to remember how the "rover" played before the NHL went from six to five skaters, but I imagine he looked like PK Subban. Just all over the friggin' place, with the first priority being trying to generate offense.

Let me put it another way: I can name no defenseman in the entire NHL who plays similarly to the wild way that PK plays.

studley49

Oct 8, 2003
Flinton/Toronto, ON
Visit site
I've seen him play a few games at home, and personally - I think he was one of the best players on the ice in every game. This includes the game I saw last year: Belleville vs. Erie when Blunden and O'Marra came back from the WJC.

While I like the guy, I must agree he's crazy at times - but I also agree that he's a very good skater and loves the rush.

Could surprise some people, but I expect a team to take a chance on him somewhere in the 3rd-5th round range.

hockeyprincess

Sep 5, 2006
Kingston, ON
I have said it once and I will say it again... when Belleville is down a man, he should be on the ice... P.K. has to, and will one day, stand for "penalty killer."

Bulls guy

Nov 5, 2006
BelleVegas
Being a season ticket holder in Belleville I have watched him for the past season and a half. He is definately all offence with little defence. As stated earlier 50-60% of the time he does try the end -end and like said coughs up the puck or makes a simple play turn out to be a hard one.

In regards to being a penalty killer he has not killed one penalty that I am aware of at home at least in his time spent in Belleville.

He will probably get drafted but a first rounder IMO no chance.

Luke87

Sep 10, 2006
Oshawa
I would also say at most belleville games ive seen this year he is one of if not the best player on the ice

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site

He's not going in the first round. he's not even close at this point. I'll put all my vdollars on it ;)

heusy_57

Apr 9, 2004
Subban Flying Under Radar

P.K. Subban of the OHL's Belleville Bulls seems to be going unnoticed amongst discussions of this years draft class, and I can't really see why. This kid has the one thing that can't be taught; pure talent. As a 17 year old defenceman he finished 7th among OHL defenceman in scoring with 15 goals and 41 assists for 56 points in 68 games, while recording 89 pims. He was also voted as having the hardest shot in the Eastern Conference in the annual coaches poll, quite a feat for a second year player. Subban has decent size and amazing offensive instincts, although he is quite green and occasionally turnover prone in his own end, like almost any young defenceman. He also started to add more of a physical game as the year went on and has no fear of mixing it up. He is not very tall, but built very solidly on his skates at about 6'0 and 200lbs+. Subban is one of those players who you can't take your eyes off of when he's on the ice, because he loves to rush the puck and make exciting offensive plays. One can argue that he was even the most exciting player to watch on the team, which included O.A. player of the year Tyler Donati, highly touted prospect Shawn Matthias (part of Bertuzzi trade) and former Calgary first rounder Matt Pelech. Yet as i read the mock drafts and rankings for this years draft, i rarely see P.K. ranked in the top 100, what gives?

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
P.K. Subban of the OHL's Belleville Bulls seems to be going unnoticed amongst discussions of this years draft class, and I can't really see why. This kid has the one thing that can't be taught; pure talent. As a 17 year old defenceman he finished 7th among OHL defenceman in scoring with 15 goals and 41 assists for 56 points in 68 games, while recording 89 pims. He was also voted as having the hardest shot in the Eastern Conference in the annual coaches poll, quite a feat for a second year player. Subban has decent size and amazing offensive instincts, although he is quite green and occasionally turnover prone in his own end, like almost any young defenceman. He also started to add more of a physical game as the year went on and has no fear of mixing it up. He is not very tall, but built very solidly on his skates at about 6'0 and 200lbs+. Subban is one of those players who you can't take your eyes off of when he's on the ice, because he loves to rush the puck and make exciting offensive plays. One can argue that he was even the most exciting player to watch on the team, which included O.A. player of the year Tyler Donati, highly touted prospect Shawn Matthias (part of Bertuzzi trade) and former Calgary first rounder Matt Pelech. Yet as i read the mock drafts and rankings for this years draft, i rarely see P.K. ranked in the top 100, what gives?

I agree he is very talented and athletic, and I agree on your evaluation of his shortcomings. However, there is no way he can play his "rover" style at the next level. So what I suspect is that a lot of scouts are wondering whether he will be coachable to "tone down" the wild rushes and, in your words, the "exciting plays" (which most NHL coaches DON'T want to see), and simply be more conservative.

Having watched PK play exactly the same way since he was in minor bantam, I would say that it might be very difficult for him to change. He is very risky to be one of those guys who is dynamite in the AHL or in Europe, but just can't make the necessary defensive adjustments to play in the NHL.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003
IMO he needs to learn to tone his game down a bit at times. He always seems to be going 100 MPH and it leads to turnovers and to being caught badly out of position. The good thing is that these intangibles can be taught, and as noted he does have the pure skill to succeed.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I like Subban because he shows so much skill and offence, he's a fun and excting player. Quite consistent too, it seems to me. But he is certainly an adventure. I would draft him in the second half of the draft if he's still around. I have him in my top 70.

heusy_57

Apr 9, 2004
He seems to have first round talent, but his allround game bumps him down lower. Top 70 seems about right to me, I think there are teams who would be happy to have him in the 2nd round. Do you have a link to your list timlap?

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
He seems to have first round talent, but his allround game bumps him down lower. Top 70 seems about right to me, I think there are teams who would be happy to have him in the 2nd round. Do you have a link to your list timlap?

I will post it eventually. I'm working on writing little profiles for each guy and also compiling a list of late round possibilities. Hopefully within a week or so I'll put the whole thing up.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site

Kind of reminds me of Andy Delmore. Hopefully, unlike Delmore, he develops a defensive game so he can actually make it as an NHL regular.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
Hear that? That's the sound of the Montreal media ripping him apart 5 years from now.
Yeah they are total moron, they are presently crying because we just took one Quebecer. They don't even know hockey and they will try to run our good scout staff down.

They are using argument like: It's Quebec Day tomorrow, they are stupid to don't take a lot of quebecers. We don't know Pacioretty so they should have took David Perron. Who the hell is PK Subban? They should have took Keven Veilleux.

I'm sure they don't even know a thing about scouting. They can't even understand that the American program is one of the best in the world presently.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
I saw him play and he wasn't bad, he can hit which was what I liked but never the less he is more offence minded than defense and that may be a problem.
It's easier to teach defense than offense, and we have good defensive coach so I think they could turn Subban into a good defenseman. But I understand that it could not work, good gamble in my opinion.

Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Aug 12, 2006
PK definitely doesnt stand for penalty killer........He's got tons of tools, if he even remotely knew what was going on in his own end he'd of been a first round pick....unfortunetly he needs to develop some defensive awareness......that being said i've seen players worse in their own end at his age, he's got two more years of junior to improve it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad