RD PK Subban (2007, 43rd, MTL)

LAX attack*

Typical HFboards "what have you done for me lately" mentality...

there is no discussion for real fans here

i love staal

Oct 19, 2008
Watching Subban during this tournament I think he will not be very good in the NHL. Yes, he is extremely fast and has great quickness, but I think he isn't a smart player. In the USA game, he tried to use his 6 foot, average size d man frame, to hit anything that moved but was, in my opinion ineffective. If he pulls those spin o ramas in the NHL or AHL, which by hte way don't even work in juniors, he is going to get his head chopped off by not only the players, but also the caoches.
That being said I think he will be given the chance to play in the NHL and looks to be more of a MArk Streit, but Subban doesn't move the puck as well as Streit and is better defensively. Someone made the smart remark about how he stands in front of hte crease on the PP, he won't be able to do that in the pros. However, I think he has the tools and if all goes to **** he can become a forward. I have heard he works hard and he does speak well, but I found that overexbuerant personality extremely extremely annoying. I think he is an ok prospect at this point, not a player. There is a big difference.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
IMHO Subban professional future will come to how coachable he is. He has a lot of very intriguing tools, a great attitude, and the heart of a Lion. But can he accept to "re-learn" the way he plays in the pro, without relying on the same kind of high-risk plays he's known for? I fully agree that he's a boom or bust prospect.

He he ends up with a good coach who manage to make him understand the importance of steadiness and constance in the NHL, then he's a future top-2 blueliner. But If he ends up in the AHL, high on his junior numbers, and refuse to reconsider the way he plays, he won't be as succesful.

The good news is that he does seem to have a pretty good head of his shoulders. He's already much better defensively than last year, and he didn't look bad at all during the habs training camp this fall.

One thing for sure, his personality is refreshing. His supreme confidence and demeanors reminds me a bit of Ali.

I don't want him to "re-learn" anything. He should keep his highrisk style, people will buy tickets for this guy of it works out.

Actualy for a risky style I was surprised how few mistakes in his own zone he was making during the tournament.

alexthekidd

Nov 18, 2008
London
I don't want him to "re-learn" anything. He should keep his highrisk style, people will buy tickets for this guy of it works out.

Actualy for a risky style I was surprised how few mistakes in his own zone he was making during the tournament.

+1

Subban IMO would thrive under the right system and with the right defensive partner. I see a lot of similarities to Mike Green in him, with a stunning offensive upside though at times a liability in his own end.

As Caps fans would know, Mike Green with Tom Poti is gold when they pair up, Mike Green is able to effectively start the offense, run the breakout and if something goes wrong, a defensively responsible defenseman is there to clean up. I think Subban would be the same, especially under a run and gun type system like the Caps play.

Used properly and he could be a steal, used incorrectly and he becomes a bust hence the high-risk/reward tag that is associated with him.

shao01

Aug 25, 2008
Montreal
So Subban was drafted 43th overall in '07. Where would ppl have picked Subban if the draft was to take place today after the WJC? Just curious.

Etienne

Oct 25, 2008
Montréal
So Subban was drafted 43th overall in '07. Where would ppl have picked Subban if the draft was to take place today after the WJC? Just curious.

With the hype and demands for offensive defensemen in the post-lockout NHL, he'd be a top 10 easily after his performance at the WJC and the season he's having in Belleville. Prior to the tournament, he was 2nd in points in the CHL for a blueliner, behind Ellis.

It's interesting to see a lot of people pointing at Subban's weaknesses as if he is never gonna improve. Even #2 overall pick Hedman has weaknesses and things to improve (like growing a pair)

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Subban's spinoramas were executed at points where it could work in the NHL given his lateral mobility. Good skater, Not too sure about his PP QB ability.

Some d-men comparisons (such as Green or Campbell) can be made purely on reducing errors. I cant honestly say these other guys have improved at all. However, their # errors have reduced. Refer to Hickey, he made unforced errors, turnovers, etc that have little to do with the talent he was playing against.

Papa_Bear_21

Aug 2, 2005
Love his wheels and really like his personality. He's a much better overall d-man than I'd have given him credit for before the tournament.

That said, it is a short tournament and he'll still have to prove himself in the AHL and the NHL in years to come. I think there's a better than good chance he'll have a really good but not elite NHL career. My best guess would be a solid 3/4 type guy that gets a lot of PP time.

Hmmm... I know it´s just your opinion but I was just wondering why you thought he could not have an elite career. I mean, did most people think Mike Green would become an elite offensive defenseman when he was in junior? Some maybe, but most? Probably not.
Subban obviously has to continue improving (what junior player doesn´t?) but the skills he has (shot, speed, agility, lateral speed, leadership, etc.) are much harder to learn.

Papa_Bear_21

Aug 2, 2005
Watching Subban during this tournament I think he will not be very good in the NHL. Yes, he is extremely fast and has great quickness, but I think he isn't a smart player. In the USA game, he tried to use his 6 foot, average size d man frame, to hit anything that moved but was, in my opinion ineffective.

You think the fact that he was trying to be physical despite his height makes him not a smart player? You do realize he is 200 pounds right? He can´t play the same type of game as a hickey or a karlsson.

If he pulls those spin o ramas in the NHL or AHL, which by hte way don't even work in juniors, he is going to get his head chopped off by not only the players, but also the caoches.

Really? Ever heard of Brian Campbell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNGFfSawkXc
That´s Mike Komisarek he made that move against.

That being said I think he will be given the chance to play in the NHL and looks to be more of a MArk Streit, but Subban doesn't move the puck as well as Streit and is better defensively. Someone made the smart remark about how he stands in front of hte crease on the PP, he won't be able to do that in the pros. However, I think he has the tools and if all goes to **** he can become a forward. I have heard he works hard and he does speak well, but I found that overexbuerant personality extremely extremely annoying. I think he is an ok prospect at this point, not a player. There is a big difference.

How Subban reminds anyone of Mark Streit is beyond me. Not trying to flame you or anything but have you seen Mark Streit play? Their games are no where close to being similar. Streit doesn´t have the speed or grit that Subban has, but Streit has better offensive awareness. Their shots are probably similar although Streit (when he doesn´t have his blocked) tends to hit the net with greater regularity.
Subban plays a game much more similar to Campbell than Streit. :shakehead

boozeash

Apr 19, 2007
Ottawa
At a glance, it would appear that Subban is a high risk player. And maybe people are quick to pick holes in his game because he's getting so much possitive attention. There is no doubt in my mind that this guy will have an great NHL carear. If he improves half as much as he has anually he will be scary good in a couple years. The only negative I've heard about his game is that he's high risk and too flashy.....Well when you lead your OHL Team and the world Jrs in +/- then I think you can afford to do a spin move every now and then. Notice how in important situations Subban was on the ice? he didn't miss a shift. I'm not saying he's flawless, but I've heard way too many people chirping about how he could be a bust.....I don't understand how anyone could htink the's a boom or bust prospect.....mark my words his stock will rise more and more as time passes by.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Based on what I saw of Subban, and read elsewhere - he's likely to be a Joe Corvo type player at best.

Though probably a bit more of a fan favourite because of his personality, that'll help cover up his flaws some in his public image.

W Jets fan

Jun 14, 2004
Love this kid, tons of heart but whoever said he makes too many rushes and doesn't pass is correct. Tries to do too much by himself.

i love staal

Oct 19, 2008
You think the fact that he was trying to be physical despite his height makes him not a smart player? You do realize he is 200 pounds right? He can´t play the same type of game as a hickey or a karlsson.

Really? Ever heard of Brian Campbell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNGFfSawkXc
That´s Mike Komisarek he made that move against.

How Subban reminds anyone of Mark Streit is beyond me. Not trying to flame you or anything but have you seen Mark Streit play? Their games are no where close to being similar. Streit doesn´t have the speed or grit that Subban has, but Streit has better offensive awareness. Their shots are probably similar although Streit (when he doesn´t have his blocked) tends to hit the net with greater regularity.
Subban plays a game much more similar to Campbell than Streit. :shakehead

Everything you said is valid, but he is no Brian Campbell. Campbell is far better defensively in my opinion. However, you are right may be my Mark Streit comparison was a bit low, but he doesn't have the shot and he doesn't have teh vision to succeed as an offensive d man. He won't be able to skate around guys and he won't be able to hit with regularity at the next level. We shall see and I think taht he is a solid prospect, but a 2nd rounder becoming an every day d man who can skate like him is a pretty nice pick. He is no savior and he will not be a superstar and he may very well have a hard time, but I think taht his potential level is not all that high. You realize also that he is a 89 who played last year on teh national team too rihgt? At that age and with taht experience I expect him to do well, as he did, at a tournament like this. I think that a move at forward would be really nice to see.
Brian Campbell is far smarter than Subban btw in his style of play. He picks his spots and I love CAmpbell so this may skew my vision, but PK Subban is not an All Star type player.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Everything you said is valid, but he is no Brian Campbell. Campbell is far better defensively in my opinion. However, you are right may be my Mark Streit comparison was a bit low, but he doesn't have the shot and he doesn't have teh vision to succeed as an offensive d man. He won't be able to skate around guys and he won't be able to hit with regularity at the next level. We shall see and I think taht he is a solid prospect, but a 2nd rounder becoming an every day d man who can skate like him is a pretty nice pick. He is no savior and he will not be a superstar and he may very well have a hard time, but I think taht his potential level is not all that high. You realize also that he is a 89 who played last year on teh national team too rihgt? At that age and with taht experience I expect him to do well, as he did, at a tournament like this. I think that a move at forward would be really nice to see.
Brian Campbell is far smarter than Subban btw in his style of play. He picks his spots and I love CAmpbell so this may skew my vision, but PK Subban is not an All Star type player.
Okay there is so much wrong with it.

Let's start with his shot. He doesn't have the shot? Are you ****ing insane? One of the hardest and most accurate shooters in junior hockey. There's a reason everyone guards him on the PP in juniors. If it doesn't go in there are huge rebounds.

Campbell better defensively? Well he is older. Let Subban develop his game, he's a type of player that would do anything to have success in his career.

Vision? Great offensive vision. When your teammates aren't doing **** and you have the ability to go around defenseman with ease, why would you pass it when there being covered.

No reason to put him at forward honestly. He's one of the best defenseman in junior hockey and he's more solid defensively then given credit so your just ************ this.

i love staal

Oct 19, 2008
Okay there is so much wrong with it.

Let's start with his shot. He doesn't have the shot? Are you ****ing insane? One of the hardest and most accurate shooters in junior hockey. There's a reason everyone guards him on the PP in juniors. If it doesn't go in there are huge rebounds.

Campbell better defensively? Well he is older. Let Subban develop his game, he's a type of player that would do anything to have success in his career.

Vision? Great offensive vision. When your teammates aren't doing **** and you have the ability to go around defenseman with ease, why would you pass it when there being covered.

No reason to put him at forward honestly. He's one of the best defenseman in junior hockey and he's more solid defensively then given credit so your just ************ this.

did you see him try to move the puck??? I am telling you that SUbban is overrated. Watch the games buddy, he is going to playi n the NHL, but if you don't agree that he won't be able to do that sh** in the NHL than you are insane. His shot may be good, he sure didn't show it at teh WJC that is why I may not have seen it and the Belleville games I saw he impressed me but as an uptempo up and down guy. he was fast enough to catch the guys on teh back check after his sometimes insanely risky rushes but in teh NHL do oyu think that will happen? He made 3 tape to tape passes in the USA game I think. The USA has the size comparable to that of most NHL teams. Brian Campbell moves the puck with such precision and Subban doesn't have that, he may develop it but it is a har thing to develop.

backdoorpass

not sure if anyone mentioned this but his basic max potential is a joe corvo

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
not sure if anyone mentioned this but his basic max potential is a joe corvo

Thanks for letting us know

did you see him try to move the puck??? I am telling you that SUbban is overrated. Watch the games buddy, he is going to playi n the NHL, but if you don't agree that he won't be able to do that sh** in the NHL than you are insane. His shot may be good, he sure didn't show it at teh WJC that is why I may not have seen it and the Belleville games I saw he impressed me but as an uptempo up and down guy. he was fast enough to catch the guys on teh back check after his sometimes insanely risky rushes but in teh NHL do oyu think that will happen? He made 3 tape to tape passes in the USA game I think. The USA has the size comparable to that of most NHL teams. Brian Campbell moves the puck with such precision and Subban doesn't have that, he may develop it but it is a har thing to develop.

One of his best assets is his shot.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
No, ive never ever seen Subban play. Only over 100 games due to my season tickets. The guy is a fantastic puck mover, you clearly have never watched him play or your just being biased or ripping the guy for no reason. His shot is better than good, it's near triple-digits and deadly accurate. And every time he got his slapshot off it created huge rebounds and a couple times caused goals. And with the PP they used, he didn't get to show that shot off too often. He has already said that he will need to tone it down to stay at a higher level of play and he showed it at the World Juniors. It's funny you mention the U.S. game cause that was arguably his best game of the entire tournament. Again, you clearly didn't watch the games too carefully or your just looking for a reason to not like the guy. He is easily one of the best puckmoving defenseman in junior hockey so do your research.

Leperus Leprechuan

Dec 24, 2007
Windsor
Subban`s an exellent player. He gets really underrated both as a player in the O and as a prospect for some reason.

I think he`ll be a great top four d-men in the big leagues.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13

dude, just leave the thread, you have absolutely no clue of what your talking about. The only reason why he didn't show his shot as much is because team Canada made Ryan Ellis THE pp quaterback, they simply used another of Subban's forces, his ability to adapt to any style forced on him pretty quickly. With Belleville it's another story, even with 2 forwards covering him he's able to do what he needs to do. He wasn't the 8th for points in the OHL or league leading +27 by sucking defensively or not being able to start an offense

leafmon

Nov 13, 2006
I've been watching PK for 4 years now and there has always been that reckless side to his game but he has improved a ton in that time. Yeah the reckless side with the spins ect can still show up but this guy can play good one on one D. He is a good puck mover out of his own end and while you didn't see his typical PP in the WJC (DUE TO THE WAY HE WAS USED) he has a cannon of a shot from the point.

IMO PK will become a good NHL PLAYER who can be used in all situations. A great 2nd round pick .

i love staal

Oct 19, 2008
dude, just leave the thread, you have absolutely no clue of what your talking about. The only reason why he didn't show his shot as much is because team Canada made Ryan Ellis THE pp quaterback, they simply used another of Subban's forces, his ability to adapt to any style forced on him pretty quickly. With Belleville it's another story, even with 2 forwards covering him he's able to do what he needs to do. He wasn't the 8th for points in the OHL or league leading +27 by sucking defensively or not being able to start an offense

I never ever said that he wouldn't be a solid NHL player or that he won't develop the quintessential puck moving skills that you all seem to see in him. I am just saying the Brian Campbell comparisons are very high and in my opinion he isn't the next brian campbell. That being said, read my other posts, he has great tools who is in his last year in the O, I expect him to do well. Also, I am not afraid to admit taht I was wrong about his shot it is very quick but approaching triple digits? idk about that. I do like his aggressiveness and competitiveness and he has gotten better every year and I did say he is a 2nd round steal at this point in his development. I just don't know, and you all don't eihter, how well his current game will translate to the NHL. THe guy who said he saw over a 100 games becuase of his proximity to the BUlls, I say you may be influenced by your obvious love for the BUlls. I wasn't assigned to follow Subban, but I ddi watch the WJC games again and he doesn't strike me as this amazing player you all seem to think he will become. I am just stating my opinion and you are entitled to yours. The style on the PP he played at the wjc do you not think that would look good as a froward? I am saying think about it I am saying nothing absurd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad