RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018, 12th, NYI)

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Dobson is almost but guranteed a top pairing D-man... can`t believe they got him for basically hamonic

Dobson is a really good prospect but pump the brakes a bit. Guaranteed top pairing dman doesnt go 12th, they go top 5. Could he be one? Definitely but saying hes almost guaranteed to be one is a huge stretch. Its just as likely that hes not actually as good as Hamonic as it is that he becomes a top pairing guy. Dmen are wild cards.

Great defensive prospect but youre overselling him here

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Dobson is a really good prospect but pump the brakes a bit. Guaranteed top pairing dman doesnt go 12th, they go top 5. Could he be one? Definitely but saying hes almost guaranteed to be one is a huge stretch. Its just as likely that hes not actually as good as Hamonic as it is that he becomes a top pairing guy. Dmen are wild cards.

He was projected top 5. Is Cam Fowler not a top pairing defenseman because he fell from his projected 4th over to the 10s?

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Ahhh, I remember when we drafted Barzal at 16 and people were making arguments that "good" players don't get drafted at 16. The detractors stated that we easily lost the trade by moving 4th overall Griffin Reinhart for 16th overall Mat Barzal, and that they couldn't wait until 2 years later when we'd trade Barzal for the 2017 28th overall pick.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The detractors stated that we easily lost the trade by moving 4th overall Griffin Reinhart for 16th overall Mat Barzal, and that they couldn't wait until 2 years later when we'd trade Barzal for the 2017 28th overall pick.

I am fairly certain Barzal or not the general consensus was Chirella got screwed at the time of the draft

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012

You can quote me on it, I said the same thing about Barzal when he dropped to 16th. I had Dobson going top 5, it's a shame he dropped but he really shouldn't have. He's the safest pick amongst the other 3 D in that group to become a top pairing dman.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Ahhh, I remember when we drafted Barzal at 16 and people were making arguments that "good" players don't get drafted at 16. The detractors stated that we easily lost the trade by moving 4th overall Griffin Reinhart for 16th overall Mat Barzal, and that they couldn't wait until 2 years later when we'd trade Barzal for the 2017 28th overall pick.

I'm sure youre exaggerating when you say people think you lost a Griffin Reinhart trade for the 16th overall pick. Maybe it was rangers fans saying that but that definitely wasnt a consensus. And I'm not making an argument that good players dont get drafted at 16, they obviously do. But basically guaranteeing that a guy picked in that area is going to be a first line center or top pairing D a day after the draft is pretty ridiculous. If those guys are guarantees, they dont fall that far. I'm not saying he doesnt have the potential to do that, I'm just saying thats a pretty bold statement a day removed from a draft where he was the 5th dman drafted.

You can quote me on it, I said the same thing about Barzal when he dropped to 16th. I had Dobson going top 5, it's a shame he dropped but he really shouldn't have. He's the safest pick amongst the other 3 D in that group to become a top pairing dman.

Thats fine, forwards arent as volatile in their development as a dman and especially a dman who rose later in his junior career and doesnt have a long track record to vouch on. Barzal was a great pick, but saying Dobson is guaranteed a similar impact because they got a good player at 16 2 years ago isnt a solid reason why either. That train of thought is like wings fans hoping that another 7t rounder would turn into Datsyuk and Zetterberg and cut the rebuild short. Could it happen? Yes. Is it guaranteed? Definitely not (although Dobson is more likely than a 7th rounder obviously

I'm catching flak here because I'm saying hes not guaranteed to be a top pairing D. If Zadina hadnt fallen I wanted Dobson at 6, but I still dont think hes a guarantee to be a top pairing dman. Great prospect? Definitely. Guaranteed top pair? No. Look at the track record of first overall dmen developing, and tell me why a 12th overall should be considered a guaranteed first pairing guy

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I'm catching flak here because I'm saying hes not guaranteed to be a top pairing D. If Zadina hadnt fallen I wanted Dobson at 6, but I still dont think hes a guarantee to be a top pairing dman. Great prospect? Definitely. Guaranteed top pair? No. Look at the track record of first overall dmen developing, and tell me why a 12th overall should be considered a guaranteed first pairing guy

I agree that he's not guaranteed anything. There's only one guaranteed 1st pairing D in this past draft. Heck, even some of the "guaranteed" 1st pairing D prospects of the past haven't become 1st pairing D's (Larsson, Bogosian).

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Couple of us on NYI board seem to find Wade Redden to be a fitting stylistic comparison.

For me, stylistically comparisons. I'm probably the first one to make this comparison. Think a young Shea Weber. I am not saying he can shoot the puck as hard as Weber can right now, though Dobson does have a terrific shot and release.

But Stylistically he resembles Weber to me. The way he moves and thinks out on the ice. Give him 3 years to fill out. He should be 6'3 - 6'4. 200+ lbs.

IMO Next to Dahlin. He is the most complete overall d man this draft.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I like a lot about him. He's a nice package of Size, Skating, IQ, and Character. He is good both defensively and offensively. I think he has room to bloom.

Agreed. He is still improving. He's still filling out. For me he is a young Shea Weber type of D man when he finishes developing.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
For me, stylistically comparisons. I'm probably the first one to make this comparison. Think a young Shea Weber. I am not saying he can shoot the puck as hard as Weber can right now, though Dobson does have a terrific shot and release.

But Stylistically he resembles Weber to me. The way he moves and thinks out on the ice. Give him 3 years to fill out. He should be 6'3 - 6'4. 200+ lbs.

IMO He is the most complete overall d man this draft.

Dobson is a much better skater than Weber, moves the puck up ice better and runs the offensive zone differently. Weber is a better defensive force and much meaner. Not to mention his cannon. I don't really see the comparison at all.

Also I think saying Dobson is the second most complete overall D in this draft would be fair... But Dahlin is on another level. You got a great prospect at 12, be very happy about it. I'd say the Islanders had the best draft (and I'm a Wings fan who also did superbly), but pump the brakes a bit. Dobson isn't a more complete D than Dahlin. His slap shot might be better, but that's about it.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Dobson is a much better skater than Weber, moves the puck up ice better and runs the offensive zone differently. Weber is a better defensive force and much meaner. Not to mention his cannon. I don't really see the comparison at all.

Also I think saying Dobson is the second most complete overall D in this draft would be fair... But Dahlin is on another level. You got a great prospect at 12, be very happy about it. I'd say the Islanders had the best draft (and I'm a Wings fan who also did superbly), but pump the brakes a bit. Dobson isn't a more complete D than Dahlin. His slap shot might be better, but that's about it.

I don't think he's an Isles fan, just a Dobson fan.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Agreed, I don't see the Weber comp either.

Dahlin is on another level, no argument there.

Dobson is so well rounded, great combination of size (needs to fill out), mobility, skill, and smarts. He is one of those sum is greater than the parts guys, he doesn't have one outstanding skill.

I think the Redden comparison fits well. Best case is Pietrangelo. Have seen Seth Jones comps too. I don't think Dobson will ever be all that physical, but that's not his game. He'll just be efficient and eat up minutes in all situations. His skills translates to all 3 zones - he can separate man from puck, retrieve the puck, start the breakout, and contribute offensively.

As an Isles fan, I'm thrilled with the pick.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I don't think he's an Isles fan, just a Dobson fan.
Oh fair enough, I guess I made an assumption I shouldn't have. Usually people aren't absurdly high on a prospect unless their team just drafted them and they just finished watching their first highlight package.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Yes, Dahlin goes without saying is the most complete D man from this draft. When I said most complete, I meant for the others or this is what I meant to say.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Don't see the Redden comparison at all. Redden was very soft and much less assertive than Dobson.

Pietrangelo is still the best comparison I've seen, although Dobson is very much his own player.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Fair enough. I don't mean to be a stickler.

One thing I should address. Weber is not as bad a skater as people say or think. He is rarely beaten one on on. He's more mobile than is usually given credit for.

The Weber-Dobson comparison is one of more how they play. They are not going to wow you like Boqvist, Hughes, or even Bouchard for that matter. But Weber had a really understated efficiency to his game if one looks past him being known for his bomb from the point. This is the genesis of my Weber-Dobson comparison when I see them play.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Don't see the Redden comparison at all. Redden was very soft and much less assertive than Dobson.

Pietrangelo is still the best comparison I've seen, although Dobson is very much his own player.

God, if he can become a Pietrangelo level player that would be freaking fantastic.

I think the main theme surrounding Dobson is that he's well rounded and efficient. That's likely where the Redden comparison stems from.

He's got to have the inside track for a prominent role on Team Canada's WJC team. He's already done everything he can in the Q with a league title and Memorial Cup.

Reactions: sebsisles

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think everybody is missing the obvious comparison, he is the next Ray Bourque :P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad