RD Noah Dobson - Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL (2018, 12th, NYI)

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This is the Islanders MO. Be patient and capitalize on other teams trying to outsmart everyone. Stick to the consensus. It happens every year. Khabanov. Ho-Sang. Barzal.

It's hard to stomach as a Ranger fan obviously. It doesn't always work out for them, and I'll be really hoping it doesn't work out this time, but their approach seems smart to me. Take the guys that everyone has known are good for awhile, let everyone else freak out about the new shiny things flying around, be patient and see what happens.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Via SNET.

This is the 2nd best D man in the draft ~ Sam Cosentino.

Seems to have to force a smile as he's getting drafted. Everyone talked about the "next four" behind Dahlin as Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, and him, thinking he'd likely be first or second to go from that group. Then to see forwards like Hayton & Kravtsov taken ahead of him, ten straight teams going for other options.

He's got a massive chip on his shoulder and something to prove. Fingers crossed we see him seize a top-6 role in the 2019-20 season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Seems to have to force a smile as he's getting drafted. Everyone talked about the "next four" behind Dahlin as Hughes, Boqvist, Bouchard, and him, thinking he'd likely be first or second to go from that group. Then to see forwards like Hayton & Kravtsov taken ahead of him, ten straight teams going for other options.

He's got a massive chip on his shoulder and something to prove. Fingers crossed we see him seize a top-6 role in the 2019-20 season.
I wouldn't read too much into it. I recall when Lemieux was drafted by the Pens. He wasn't looking like he was doing cartwheels inside either.

He's going to love playing for a Trotz/Lou regime. When you are a young player you want to go somewhere with opportunity. Isles needed a D man, now they have Dobson and Wilde.

This is a high character guy. Going to fit in nicely on the Isles young core that is developing.

Reactions: Svengoolie

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
So for the last 2 drafts, NYI uses 1 of their picks and trades Reinhart & Hamonic to get Barzal, Wahlstrom, & Dobson. Jfc

Reactions: Peeps

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
What is it with people over-analysing draftees facial expressions and never considering they might be human and just nervous about when they're getting drafted and then getting up to go on the stage infront of so many people.
I think it's only natural though to be disappointed if you drop that far. Don't think anyones blaming him. It's insane that he dropped all the way to 12. As a Canuck-fan, i would have been more than happy if we selected him at 7. He was the guy i wanted. He seems like a smart guy both on and off the ice though, so im sure he will handle him falling in the best possible way.

Im rooting for him, and the Islanders are so lucky that they got both him and Wahlstrom with 2 non top10 picks. That's crazy. For sure the biggest winner of the draft.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
So for the last 2 drafts, NYI uses 1 of their picks and trades Reinhart & Hamonic to get Barzal, Wahlstrom, & Dobson. Jfc
They pretty much needed that after missing at 5, 5, 4, and 5 in a 5 year span. Getting Wahlstrom and Dobson at 11 and 12 is quite the haul, and obviously Barzal was a massive steal at 16. They seem to do their best drafting in the first round when they're low enough that a can't miss pick falls to them.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
They pretty much needed that after missing at 5, 5, 4, and 5 in a 5 year span. Getting Wahlstrom and Dobson at 11 and 12 is quite the haul, and obviously Barzal was a massive steal at 16. They seem to do their best drafting in the first round when they're low enough that a can't miss pick falls to them.
Isles traded so they could draft Barzal and beauvillier, they didn't "fall into their laps"

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
The best thing i love about this kid is he is very good defensively and is a really good skater. Hopefully the islanders have finally got there shutdown d-man.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
The best thing i love about this kid is he is very good defensively and is a really good skater. Hopefully the islanders have finally got there shutdown d-man.

I would want more than a shutdown d-man from him. Big (when he fills out), swift and smart RD's don't grow on trees. I'm hoping for an all situations beast that will munch minutes.

Reactions: Peeps

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
This is the Islanders MO. Be patient and capitalize on other teams trying to outsmart everyone. Stick to the consensus. It happens every year. Khabanov. Ho-Sang. Barzal.

It's hard to stomach as a Ranger fan obviously. It doesn't always work out for them, and I'll be really hoping it doesn't work out this time, but their approach seems smart to me. Take the guys that everyone has known are good for awhile, let everyone else freak out about the new shiny things flying around, be patient and see what happens.
Barzal was the only one that has worked out in a big way and even with him the Isles barely finished better than NYR who decided to tear down the team midway through the season.

I think you’re seeing greener grass on the neighbors yard, doesn’t mean it’s so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad