RD Nils Lundkvist - Luleå, SWE JRs (2018, 28th, NYR)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I have a feeling he's gonna jump into the NHL next year and start producing right away.

Yeah, and it will be his D+4 season. That's usually where you see defensemen make the jump straight away.

Someone on HFNYR asked about the difference in scoring in Jonsson's and Lundkvist's eras, now that Nisse has broken the record.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Stud. Fox-Miller-Lundkvist has got to be up their in terms of young defensive cores. I’d have Makar-Girard-Byram first but what other 23 and under trios (or even 25 and under) are more promising than the Rangers group? (Not a smarmy rhetorical question - there may be others but the point being the Rangers trio is a pretty amazing group to build around).

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Stud. Fox-Miller-Lundkvist has got to be up their in terms of young defensive cores. I’d have Makar-Girard-Byram first but what other 23 and under trios (or even 25 and under) are more promising than the Rangers group? (Not a smarmy rhetorical question - there may be others but the point being the Rangers trio is a pretty amazing group to build around).

Its not just a Trio. Schneider is up with them as well. A first rounder who is having a good D+1 year. Thats four U23 players with 1st pair potential.

Then you have Robertson, Jones, and Lindgren. They might not be in the same tier as the others, but all three project as NHLers on the 2nd or 3rd pair.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Does anyone know what the status is Re: ELC for Nils and if there is a possibility of him suiting up this year? Thanks.
Lulea made the play offs and were given a bye into the 2nd round which starts next week.

With NYR unlikely to make the playoffs and the TDL on Monday. Its near enough 100% certain he wont wont for NYR this season.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Even if it was a trio, I'm having a really hard time not including Lindgren in a Rangers big three for now. I think K'Andre's play is probably the biggest surprise this season, but I'm not sure what exactly he does that projects as better than Lindgren other than he's like four inches taller and two years younger, so that gives him more hypothetical upside. Aside from Fox, whose our best defensemen in every zone so you can't even count him, Lindgren is probably the Rangers best defender in the defensive zone, and thats saying a lot because Trouba has been much better defensively this season than last season. And as good as Schneider, Robertson, Miller are, Jones looks like he has Fox potential before Fox went on a Norris run. Our defense is starting to round out pretty well.

I think ideally it includes Lindgren, Miller, Jones on the left, and Fox, Lundkvist, Schneider on the right. That probably means a Trouba trade at some point, and then no room for Robertson/Reunanen/Skinner.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Even if it was a trio, I'm having a really hard time not including Lindgren in a Rangers big three for now. I think K'Andre's play is probably the biggest surprise this season, but I'm not sure what exactly he does that projects as better than Lindgren other than he's like four inches taller and two years younger, so that gives him more hypothetical upside. Aside from Fox, whose our best defensemen in every zone so you can't even count him, Lindgren is probably the Rangers best defender in the defensive zone, and thats saying a lot because Trouba has been much better defensively this season than last season. And as good as Schneider, Robertson, Miller are, Jones looks like he has Fox potential before Fox went on a Norris run. Our defense is starting to round out pretty well.

I think ideally it includes Lindgren, Miller, Jones on the left, and Fox, Lundkvist, Schneider on the right. That probably means a Trouba trade at some point, and then no room for Robertson/Reunanen/Skinner.

I 100% agree about Lindgren. I think he is outstanding for you guys and exactly the type of player every team needs. I always find him very underrated around the hockey world. NYR have a couple of gems with him and Fox doing their thing out there

Reactions: bleedblue94

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Brooks keeps repeating this nonsense that Lundkvist might not sign.

With Brooks articles based on how he writes them, you can tell when he has sources and when he's doing his own speculation. This is his own speculation, and he keeps pushing it. I would've thought it'd stop once DeAngelo was waived, but he continues to do it.

What reason would Lundkvist have to not sign with the Rangers? People will mention Quinn as a negative point, which I'm not even sure a prospect or agent of a prospect would agree with, but all our young defensemen have developed well under Quinn. It's some of the younger forwards that haven't. And the Rangers brand around the league is one of the stronger ones.

It's true that he has the option to not sign with the Rangers for next season, not sign next offseason, and then his rights are free, but so does every prospect. I've never actually heard of a European player doing this, and I see no reason why Lundkvist would be the first.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

In the NHL they also have Lindgren who is not flashy but is a very solid defensive defenseman. Outside of the NHL they have a bunch of guys like Jones, Schneider, and Robertson too. The Rangers are much more set on defense than offense despite the two top picks and three top 10 picks.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Does anyone know what the status is Re: ELC for Nils and if there is a possibility of him suiting up this year? Thanks.

He's under contract with both Luleå HF and the Swedish federation until June 30th. He can be released but before he is, he cannot sign his ELC.

The Swedish federation probably considers him part of the team for the World Championships later this year in Latvia, which would mean they wouldn't release him until mid-June.

Once he is released, the Rangers have time to sign him, as he isn't under contract for next season. If he was, the transfer agreement would kick in, giving the Rangers until July 15th only

His NHL rights only expire in 2022, so there's no rush. Lundkvist this summer is still eligible for a 3-year ELC.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
He's under contract with both Luleå HF and the Swedish federation until June 30th. He can be released but before he is, he cannot sign his ELC.

The Swedish federation probably considers him part of the team for the World Championships later this year in Latvia, which would mean they wouldn't release him until mid-June.

Once he is released, the Rangers have time to sign him, as he isn't under contract for next season. If he was, the transfer agreement would kick in, giving the Rangers until July 15th only

His NHL rights only expire in 2022, so there's no rush. Lundkvist this summer is still eligible for a 3-year ELC.
Steve with the great info as always.

Cheers bud.

Best of luck in Dublin btw.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Brooks keeps repeating this nonsense that Lundkvist might not sign.

With Brooks articles based on how he writes them, you can tell when he has sources and when he's doing his own speculation. This is his own speculation, and he keeps pushing it. I would've thought it'd stop once DeAngelo was waived, but he continues to do it.

What reason would Lundkvist have to not sign with the Rangers? People will mention Quinn as a negative point, which I'm not even sure a prospect or agent of a prospect would agree with, but all our young defensemen have developed well under Quinn. It's some of the younger forwards that haven't. And the Rangers brand around the league is one of the stronger ones.

It's true that he has the option to not sign with the Rangers for next season, not sign next offseason, and then his rights are free, but so does every prospect. I've never actually heard of a European player doing this, and I see no reason why Lundkvist would be the first.

Where did you find the argument that he might not sign with the Rangers, as in: not in the next season or at all? The tweet simply stated that Lundkvist won’t be available for the Rangers until the SHL season (and perhaps the WHCs) ends, no?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Where did you find the argument that he might not sign with the Rangers, as in: not in the next season or at all? The tweet simply stated that Lundkvist won’t be available for the Rangers until the SHL season (and perhaps the WHCs) ends, no?

Anytime he mentions Lundkvist, he adds the caveat that he needs to sign a contract with the Rangers. The tweet might seem like nothing, but it's a furtherance of an agenda he has. He doesn't do that talking about any other prospect. He thinks that because the Rangers have a lot invested in other right-handed defensemen that Lundkvist should consider not signing with the Rangers, which is complete nonsense. I don't think it's anything serious to worry about or a real consideration for Lundkvist, but Larry Brooks won't stop mentioning it, and he probably will keep saying it until Lundkvist signs with the Rangers.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
Hold on here...why on earth would Larry not want him to sign with the Rangers? That doesn't make sense. I see Trouba and Fox as righties. TDA is not playing - I assume dealt at some point. Schneider coming sometime in the future. So Brooks thinks Nils is a threat to Fox? That's hilarious. I don't get it.

Feel free to call Sweeney, Nils! He might possibly have the sense make an offer. We would love to have you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad