RD Nils Lundkvist - Luleå, SWE JRs (2018, 28th, NYR)

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
After reading all the claims from Detroit fans that Seider is the best defensemen in the SHL, it got me wondering where Lundkvist ranks among SHL defensemen. Does anyone have a guess? Is he top 2-3? top 5? Top 10? Top 20?

Statistically speaking, he's 9th among defensemen in points, second in SOG, first in goals, 16th in TOI/G, 55% CF%. Sounds like he's one of the better defensemen in the league, and we might've missed out on crowning him with all these accolades while he's still a prospect. Soon he'll be an NHL rookie.

If i would do a ranking>

1. Erik Gustafsson
2. Mortiz Seider
3. Joel Persson
4. Nils Lundkvist
5. Simon Bertilsson
6. Arvid Lundberg
7. Robin Salo
8. Jonas Junland
9. Niklas Hansson
10. Johannes Kinvall

Last edited:

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
If i would do a ranking>

1. Erik Gustafsson
2. Mortiz Seider
3. Joel Persson
4. Nils Lundkvist
5. Simon Bertilsson
6. Arvid Lundberg
7. Johannes Kinvall
8. Jonas Junland
9. Niklas Hansson
10. Eric Martinsson

This list seems most legit. I’ve tried to follow Brynäs a bit more closely due to having friends that are fans and being in a fantasy pool with a bunch of them, and simply gaining Bertilsson seems to have had a remarkable impact on their team.

Their shots against and quality opportunities against stats were abysmal but has improved as of late. And his addition is seemingly doing great things for them, however their issues are not exactly limited to defense alone, with their two best offensive players out.

The one thing I have against Lundkvist, or rather the one question mark is the fact that he’s not at all relied upon on the PK, however I generally haven’t necessarily regarded him myself as less than second on the team in terms of overall defensive play. He’s very collected and has also begun to assert his presence physically, without the puck, which is lovely to see for someone who saw him debut as a wee 17 year old with obvious offensive upside but lots to improve upon in terms of defensive ability.

Seider has been more of an all-situations defenseman, Persson isn’t though: but Växjö has been a machine lately and Persson had been a great MVP candidate for them, if not for Viktor Fasth and Emil Pettersson.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
This list seems most legit. I’ve tried to follow Brynäs a bit more closely due to having friends that are fans and being in a fantasy pool with a bunch of them, and simply gaining Bertilsson seems to have had a remarkable impact on their team.

Their shots against and quality opportunities against stats were abysmal but has improved as of late. And his addition is seemingly doing great things for them, however their issues are not exactly limited to defense alone, with their two best offensive players out.

The one thing I have against Lundkvist, or rather the one question mark is the fact that he’s not at all relied upon on the PK, however I generally haven’t necessarily regarded him myself as less than second on the team in terms of overall defensive play. He’s very collected and has also begun to assert his presence physically, without the puck, which is lovely to see for someone who saw him debut as a wee 17 year old with obvious offensive upside but lots to improve upon in terms of defensive ability.

Seider has been more of an all-situations defenseman, Persson isn’t though: but Växjö has been a machine lately and Persson had been a great MVP candidate for them, if not for Viktor Fasth and Emil Pettersson.
Hmm, are you sure he doesn't play in the PK? He averages almost 23-24 minutes a night, I don't know how it's possible to play that much if he is kept off the PK. Heck he played over 28 minutes today in the tournament game.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Nils has played plenty on the PK this season and has played there for Sweden. He’s a two way, all situations defenseman.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Rangers sorely need Lundkvist's presence. I think he could step into a PP1 role right away, and his ability to move the puck and contribute offense from the back end will really help. Fox is pretty much our best player, but the PP is probably the worst part of his game and he's the only real defensemen who can do more than occasional chance creation at ES. We sorely miss DeAngelo's dynamic offensive ability. I'm hoping Lundkvist (and eventually Jones) can help out in that regard.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
If i would do a ranking>

1. Erik Gustafsson
2. Mortiz Seider
3. Joel Persson
4. Nils Lundkvist
5. Simon Bertilsson
6. Arvid Lundberg
7. Robin Salo
8. Jonas Junland
9. Niklas Hansson
10. Johannes Kinvall

What did you think of Joel Persson’s overall game. He didn’t play a lick of defense in the AHL and wasn’t much better in the NHL. He should have been a forward.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Hmm, are you sure he doesn't play in the PK? He averages almost 23-24 minutes a night, I don't know how it's possible to play that much if he is kept off the PK. Heck he played over 28 minutes today in the tournament game.

Nils has played plenty on the PK this season and has played there for Sweden. He’s a two way, all situations defenseman.

He leads the team in PP TOI and is relied upon heavily when the team is trailing. In losing efforts to Rögle and Skellefteå recently, Lundkvist played close to 26 and 24 minutes respectively. In winning efforts to weaker teams Brynäs and HV71, he had about ~18-19 minutes of TOI.

He’s not at all a regular on the PK, no. His SHTOI/GP is 0:20, 6th among the team’s defensemen. Eddie Larsson is 5th in SHTOI by defensemen with 1:16. It’s very unusual for Lundkvist to get time on the PK, and the team usually doesn’t really need him there.

He might have played more PK minutes on the national teams or something, but in Luleå he’s a responsible puck moving two-way defenseman who’s not a liability in the defensive zone by any means, but he’s not a penalty killer.

Reactions: The Sweetness

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I wouldn't categorize him as that. Defensively he's okay, not really a liability most of the time but he can definitely have breakdowns in coverage, lose man-on-man battles and make some erranous passes.
My eyes see a lot of Filip Hronek in Lundkvist. Someone who competes a lot, can be a real weapon offensively, isn't "bad" defensively but probably shouldn't be leaned on too much.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Nils Lundkvist now has sole possession of the points record by defensemen aged 20 and younger with 74. His 29 goals are the second highest, behind only former Islanders defenseman Tomas Johnsson.

He scored his goal today against dad's team. He's the general manager for Skellefteå.

Lundkvist's family always supported Skellefteå but now they root for Luleå.

Jagge11

Dec 13, 2018
Nils Lundkvist now has sole possession of the points record by defensemen aged 20 and younger with 74. His 29 goals are the second highest, behind only former Islanders defenseman Tomas Johnsson.

He scored his goal today against dad's team. He's the general manager for Skellefteå.

Lundkvist's family always supported Skellefteå but now they root for Luleå.
On his fathers side.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
On his fathers side.

Yes, his mother's side of the family obviously supported Luleå because of his uncle (who played with Nils in his first season).

His dad and grandpa follow him around almost everywhere. I've seen them at at least 5 tournaments the last 2 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad