Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Excellent segue.
3361559_orig.jpg

Reactions: slamigo

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Maybe he couldn't stand playing for Babcock and it affected his play. After all why would Smith endorse bringing a guy in that could cost him his job?

I don't know ask Boucher he was playing Ceci 25 minutes a night almost begging to be fired.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He didn’t have much of a choice.
Our defense was garbage.

I understand what you're both saying, where I'm going is that coaches irrationally love players all the time, player that are simply not as good as they are used. Almost every single coach has at least one player they love even though it's not warranted.

The best example I can think of is Alain Vignault and Dan Girardi.

Reactions: Skid

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I understand what you're both saying, where I'm going is that coaches irrationally love players all the time, player that are simply not as good as they are used. Almost every single coach has at least one player they love even though it's not warranted.

J. Martin and Andreas Dackell

supsens

Oct 6, 2013

It’s not irrational, they play the hard working, team first, do what’s asked of you guys as a reward so the other lesser players that want ice time follow along.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
he is a superior defensemen than Ceci. Cant believe we got brown on top of it
Being better than Ceci isn’t exactly tough and Brown isn’t enough compensation in helping Toronto clear cap room for five years.

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Being better than Ceci isn’t exactly tough and Brown isn’t enough compensation in helping Toronto clear Calgary room for five years.
Zaitzev is a good defensemen though who is locked in its def worth it if he keeps playing like this

brown is also an excellent player from whst I have seen here and in toroto

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Being better than Ceci isn’t exactly tough and Brown isn’t enough compensation in helping Toronto clear cap room for five years.

Have you seen/heard what their top 4 players are getting paid? They are far from one Ceci contract off the books away from being in a good cap situation.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
A lot of guys get pretty caught up in crapping on PD and every move he makes and in labeling this team historically bad. We are for sure missing some goal scoring talent, but on the back end going into the 18/19 season we had an historically inexperienced starting 6 D to the point that it was a graphic on broadcasts and discussed extensively

Ceci is gone. Harpur is gone. Lajoie and Jaros played probably 125 between them last year and they are in the A. DeMelo is slotted down. Boro has a better partner in DeMelo than he did at any point last year. Zaitsev certainly appears more steady in the early going than Ceci. Brannstrom is 20 and he is showing that he clearly belongs.

Our D is considerably better than it was last year, at least in the early going thus far.

Reactions: DrEasy and Tuna99

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's interesting that last year, Ceci was tied at the hip with some rookie Dmen in Lajoie and Wolanin. On the other hand, Zaitsev has the pleasure of playing with Chabot this year. Not exactly similar situations.

All that said, Zaitsev has looked fine. He's playing in a role that imo suits his skillset.

Reactions: Cosmix

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It's interesting that last year, Ceci was tied at the hip with some rookie Dmen in Lajoie and Wolanin. On the other hand, Zaitsev has the pleasure of playing with Chabot this year. Not exactly similar situations.

All that said, Zaitsev has looked fine. He's playing in a role that imo suits his skillset.

Ceci is getting to play with Rielly this season, and it hasn't looked good:

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
I've been happy with him so far. He doesn't do a whole lot out there but is pretty steady. Some people said he was just as bad as Ceci at the time of the trade. It's only been 6 games but he looks way better than Ceci so that's a relief.

Reactions: DrEasy

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I've been happy with him so far. He doesn't do a whole lot out there but is pretty steady. Some people said he was just as bad as Ceci at the time of the trade. It's only been 6 games but he looks way better than Ceci so that's a relief.

Zaitsev and Chabot are a very good pairing. Zaitsev just does his job, doesn't gamble or get out of position, sits back and allows TC to do his thing offensively. Give them another 20 or so games to get really comfortable and see how good they can become.
A number one D pairing doesn't require two equally talented guys they just need to fit well together.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Zaitsev is vastly superior to Ceci in virtually every way imaginable. Babcock is making his living running players out of town. People will look back on this trade someday as a huge negative for the Leafs, especially after they fire Babcock.

*hot take over*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad