Player Discussion RD Nikita Zaitsev

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Why don’t you guys just give him a chance ?

It’s like when methot first came here and ppl shat all over him

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Wat? I'm the biggest Nick Foligno fan in the world but I'm pretty sure even I liked the trade at the time. He came just as advertised as well.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Wat? I'm the biggest Nick Foligno fan in the world but I'm pretty sure even I liked the trade at the time. He came just as advertised as well.
Methot was a much better player on the sens then he was on cbj and man didn’t think he would be as good as he was coming from a poor cbj team

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well, FQL and friends pretty much did the exact same thing last summer with Tkachuk, and we all saw how that turned out.

Maybe it’s actually some voodoo magic, man, and we’re going to again see pretty much the opposite of what we’re being told to expect this season from both Zaitsev and the head coach.

Nothing like a little spice sprinkled on the upcoming season!

Reactions: DueDiligence

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Well, FQL and friends pretty much did the exact same thing last summer with Tkachuk, and we all saw how that turned out.

Maybe it’s actually some voodoo magic, man, and we’re going to again see pretty much the opposite of what we’re being told to expect this season from both Zaitsev and the head coach.

Difference is we know exactly how Zaitsev plays in the NHL because he has been in the NHL for 3 seasons on one of the best teams in the league.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Love this trade, we traded spare bits to get a nice upgrade from Turris and we kept all of our top prospects. I'm in the happy camp, right where I like to be.

Each moved Dorian has made has made our club more skilled, more competitive, harder to beat, and a closer knit group. We gave away nothing we couldn't afford to lose in any trade, and we're a much better team over all.

In my mind the goal is to win the Stanly Cup, and our current window is now opening. Dorian's 'asset management' has been stellar towards that end. Understandably he has been failing short in the area of amassing draft picks and pilling up middling-to-good prospects though for and endlessly 'in-the-future' window so I see why some are angered.

We are4 not a rebuilding team, so I'm super glad to see that we're not acting like one. I can empathize with those who can't find their way to enjoy the current management team's vision, especially given that we're all powerless to do anything but observe, but damn have I been stoked on every move Dorian has made since becoming GM!

Love Burrows, Pyatt, Brassard, Thompson, Condon, Love the fact that we have a hand full of excellent prospects ready to move onto the roster, and now Duchene!

Happy times for this Sens fan!!!

We dealt our first round pick... We lost to an expansion team yesterday, got blown away by one of the worst teams in the NHL earlier in the week and have won 6 of our 14 games... and we dealt our first round pick in a draft with a generational talent at the top. I can't believe this is reality.

Both posts were between Nov 5th and Nov 7th 2017. Who made which post?

Reactions: Deku

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What do you mean by that? Does solid mean conceding the most goals in the NHL?

Let’s give the coaches and the new D a chance.

Any D with Chabot in it has a chance to be excellent. Chabot, Jaros, Wolanin, Lajoie were all rookies last year and Harpur / Brannstrom / England barely have played.

With some chemistry and everyone having good seasons they’ll be solid

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I have no problem with the player, but the way Pierre and DJ talk this guy up is asinine. Saying he's got character and is going to help change our culture. The guy is literally a quiet depth defenseman. I thought it was pretty telling how glowingly Dubas spoke about Connor Brown in his presser after the trade but said very little about Z. That's not to say he's a bad guy, but the praise our staff is heaping on this guy is borderline nauseating,

He's a marginal Ceci upgrade with a worse contract, and by all accounts is a very average character guy. I guess this is their big splash this offseason so they feel they need to talk this guy up to justify the trade or something.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I have no problem with the player, but the way Pierre and DJ talk this guy up is asinine. Saying he's got character and is going to help change our culture. The guy is literally a quiet depth defenseman. I thought it was pretty telling how glowingly Dubas spoke about Connor Brown in his presser after the trade but said very little about Z. That's not to say he's a bad guy, but the praise our staff is heaping on this guy is borderline nauseating,

He's a marginal Ceci upgrade with a worse contract, and by all accounts it a very average character guy. I guess this is their big splash this offseason so they feel they need to talk this guy up to justify the trade or something.
He's all they can afford for acquisitions and they're trying to sell him as hard as possible. As if fans give a shit about a depth dman that was perceived as a cap dump.

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown

This is 100% true. Methot was a bum who couldn't crack the top four on a terrible CBJ squad, according to HFB.

Nope. I think this is some revisionist history. Despite Foligno never living up to his billing here in Ottawa, people were still skeptical of the return because Methot was a nobody.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Both posts were between Nov 5th and Nov 7th 2017. Who made which post?

Here is a numbered approach:

1- In the end I was definitely wrong about us being harder to beat (though on paper we should have been), the rest is fine in my opinion. That year was an unmitigated disaster, but Turris leaving wasn’t why, unless EK’s heart was broken of course :)

2- My post doesn’t change the content of your posts. Me being off the mark about how well we would play after the Duchene trade, doesn’t somehow negate how far off the mark you were about BT.

3- I was excited by the arrival of Duchene, I didn’t spend the summer harping on anyone who would listen about how bad someone was, argue absurdly against every other opinion, only to disappear when I was proven wrong from day 1.

4- I don’t mind admitting when I’m wrong, especially about sports fan stuff. Being wrong is part of what being a fan is all about! It’s ok to have strong opinions, it’s more about being able to coexist with different ones, and being upfront and humble when shown to be wrong. I don’t think it’s always easy, but doing things that are difficult often make us all better for it.

5- I was poking a little fun about your seeming need to latch onto something in the offseason, and argue it negatively to absurd levels. Last year you avoided the subject like the plague after hounding everyone for MONTHS, about BT. You’re dong it again here with Zaitsev, is it a reach to suggest that if he’s not as bad as you ‘suggest’ that you’ll ghost again this year?

6- I know that you have an intense desire to have your opinions taken seriously, and I can see that you put some research time into backing your opinions. In my opinion, being right and wrong are just ebbs and flows of having discussions on topics with vast amounts of variables, none of which we can control. I think you’d be taken more seriously if your took a less adversarial position, and perhaps weren’t so extremely negative, but more importantly, exhibited humanist traits of accepting when your prognostications are wrong, and admitting your misses to the group when they happen. Given how intense you are in trying to convince us all of them at every turn, you missing the mark is justifiably delicious to the rest of us at times.

7- It’s all good, but you have to understand that you get what you give FQL, reap what you sow, and all the wonderful idioms that apply.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
7- It’s all good, but you have to understand that you get what you give FQL, reap what you sow, and all the wonderful idioms that apply.
Well that's kinda the point here isn't it. You called me out and I pointed out your own track record which is incredibly poor. You rarely get on base, never mind get a hit. You generally like the bad moves, I generally hate the bad moves. I've been talking about data and now you're going at me instead of backing up your crazy takes. This is projection at its finest, which is one of your greatest hits.

But by all means put your chips on Nikita Zaitsev. You can love him just like you love Dorion, Burrows, Pyatt, Condon, Boedkker etc. You have 5 years to enjoy this new Sens phenom.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well that's kinda the point here isn't it. You called me out and I pointed out your own track record which is incredibly poor. You rarely get on base, never mind get a hit. You generally like the bad moves, I generally hate the bad moves.

But by all means put your chips on Nikita Zaitsev. You can love him just like you love Dorion, Burrows, Pyatt, Condon, Boedkker etc. You have 5 years to enjoy this new Sens phenom.

You’re dodging again FQL.

The difference is that I make emotional posts in he moment, and don’t really care about being right or wrong. I can admit being wrong, but at the end of the day I care very little about my rep in here in regards to getting my prognostications ‘right’. I post off the cuff and do zero internet research, because I value my time spent elsewhere.

But you, you value how often right and wrong on here. My post wasn’t a comparison on you and I, it was me pointing out that you behaved the very same way last season about a particular player, and you were shown to be dead wrong. Even though people called you out, you refused you show your face in the thread and own up to your mistake. People chose you, because of how you badgered the entire board for the entire summer over the player.

And you’re doing it again now.... Seems reasonable to ponder if we’re seeing history repeat itself.

See, I don’t have any vested interests in Zaitsev, though I’m happy to sit back and watch him play and see how he does. But this discussion wan’t about me, or my track record of trade talk, it’s about you and your summer whipping boy, and how you’re unable to face the music when you’re wrong.

You don’t “generally hate bad moves” FQL, you just generally hate.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
You’re dodging again FQL.

The difference is that I make emotional posts in he moment, and don’t really care about being right or wrong. I can admit being wrong, but at the end of the day I care very little about my rep in here in regards to getting my prognostications ‘right’. I post off the cuff and do zero internet research, because I value my time spent elsewhere.

But you, you value how often right and wrong on here. My post wasn’t a comparison on you and I, it was me pointing out that you behaved the very same way last season about a particular player, and you were shown to be dead wrong. Even though people called you out, you refused you show your face in the thread and own up to your mistake. People chose you, because of how you badgered the entire board for the entire summer over the player.

And you’re doing it again now.... Seems reasonable to ponder if we’re seeing history repeat itself.

See, I don’t have any vested interests in Zaitsev, though I’m happy to sit back and watch him play and see how he does. But this discussion wan’t about me, or my track record of trade talk, it’s about you and your summer whipping boy, and how you’re unable to face the music when you’re wrong.

You don’t “generally hate bad moves” FQL, you just generally hate.
The bolded is a complete fabrication. A fiction that only exists in whatever fairy tale you've convinced yourself you're in. Even that part about you owning up to things is a hilarious exaggeration. How long did you fight and claw for Burrows and the Duchen moves?

You got called out, you don't like it. Move on. You don't seem to like people discussing things, so just get out of the way. You have nothing to add besides personal attacks as usual anyways.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The bolded is a complete fabrication. A fiction that only exists in whatever fairy tale you've convinced yourself you're in. Even that part about you owning up to things is a hilarious exaggeration. How long did you fight and claw for Burrows and the Duchen moves?

You got called out, you don't like it. Move on. You don't seem to like people discussing things, so just get out of the way. You have nothing to add besides personal attacks as usual anyways.

Lol... I called YOU out, and now you’re squirming all over the place for some reason. You were wrong about BT in spectacular fashion, it would be awesome for the Sens if you go two for two in back to back years!

As for Duchene and Burrows, I’ve never changed my tune on those deals bro.

Have the last word on the subject, it’s all laid out in little back letters for anyone bored enough to follow, and I’m good with it (and sorry!).

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Lol... I called YOU out, and now you’re squirming all over the place for some reason. You were wrong about BT in spectacular fashion, it would be awesome for the Sens if you go two for two in back to back years!

As for Duchene and Burrows, I’ve never changed my tune on those deals bro.

Have the last word on the subject, it’s all laid out in little back letters for anyone bored enough to follow, and I’m good with it (and sorry!).
That's good of you to get out of the way so we can discuss Nikita Zaitsev in the Nikita Zaitsev thread. It was an admirable attempt at derailing a discussion though.

R2010

May 23, 2011
If he was on a 3-year deal i'd be fine with it. Problem with 5 is he starts boxing people out.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Difference is we know exactly how Zaitsev plays in the NHL because he has been in the NHL for 3 seasons on one of the best teams in the league.
Maybe he couldn't stand playing for Babcock and it affected his play. After all why would Smith endorse bringing a guy in that could cost him his job?

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Dude should not be calling out anybody.

Reality is that the biggest pessimists on this board have been right far more than the biggest optimists, which makes sense because the team is a complete disaster.

That's a really odd comment. It's never one side is right and one side is wrong. For a discussion board it's becoming increasingly more difficult to have a discussion because your either right or wrong, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad