RD Nick Ebert - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2012, 211th overall, Los Angeles)

member 71782

Having watched Ebert the last two seasons there is no denying the kid has the talent to play the game, unfortunately it takes more than just having the talent though and this is where he is lacking.

He has gone from a kid who showed he had all the talent in the world to someone who looked to be waiting for a reason to show he had any talent.

He reportedly showed up completely out of shape, appeared to have no interest in what was going on with his game on the ice (all areas were headed downhill) and still apeared to believe he was the top pick for the draft.

He appeared to believe his own hype regardless of what fans or scouts were saying. It appeared that nothing would convince him he needed to show he was a high end prospect.

Sure there was expectations and pressure on him and while he did not drop off completely statistically you could see this was not just a sophmore slump. I know these kids need to move on when they have a bad game but this was not just a bad game or two, this was more than half a season before he appeared to have any interest in doing anything to try to improve his game.

He just appeared to be believing the pre season rankings were going to stick all year regardless of what he did or did not do on the ice. No urgency or effort to his game until after the trade deadline.

Even then he appeared to be trying too hard, trying to do it all himself. Too little, too late.

I'm wondering if he has always been "the kid" on the ice? Has he never realized that each level he has moved up there are more and more kids who were always "the kid" on the ice. If being "the kid" always carried him through in the past maybe he just never learned how to work for it.

Regardless of what has happened up to now I hope he realizes he has the skill to be a pro, just needs to understand that no one is going to give him anything from this point forward. He either works for it or he will soon be at the end of his career.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
His size also turned into a major concern. Last official measurement was in the new year at 5'11.25 which is quite small for a D man. Definitely not the 6'1 listed.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
His size also turned into a major concern. Last official measurement was in the new year at 5'11.25 which is quite small for a D man. Definitely not the 6'1 listed.

Erik Karlsson is listed at 5'11 and Doughty is listed at 6'0. Height is not the problem here.

I hope he can turn it around for himself in LA's system. Seems to be a case of a guy getting caught up in his own hype which is a shame.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I have spoken to some who have seen him this season and he was not as bad as everyone is saying.

A lot of it did have to do with being under a lot of pressure to not just replace Ellis, but become the #1 dman on a very young team.

At times people forget that he just turned 18. I'm much older and I can't imagine the feeling of being thrown into the #1 dman slot in just your second year in the OHL and being expected to be the leader at such a young age on such a young team. The expectations on him were very unrealistic I think.

Did he play poorly at times? Sure.

Can he rebound? Yes.

He should not have gone past the 4th round...

This is a good read: http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/6/23/3113046/nick-ebert-goes-dead-last-in-the-2012-nhl-entry-draft

Some people said that but there's plenty who saw him (Myself) included who can confirm just how horrible he was in some aspects of his game. Besides that first game where he was actuallly pretty good defensively, he looked horrible.

Most top defensive prospects are able to become the best on their team at that age. There's too much pressure and there's just playing bad. I thought he would go 3rd-4th round because of his pedigree but his play was bad enough to be 7th round or even undrafted.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
posted this on the Hawks board

here is what I think happened...

30 teams assumed Ebert had been taken in the 2nd to 3rd round as they just completely forgot to look at their lists from players they had ranked that high for the later rounds, only the Kings went back over it for the 7th round and where completely shocked to find out that Ebert hadnt gotten picked yet.....they jumped right up and said Nick Ebert without hesitation and 29 other gm's went ape **** because they forgot the kid hadn't been picked...just a rumor for now, but that would be pretty crazy if true:sarcasm:

I did see some kind of noise after he was selected though, a few teams were talking from what I could see, but for all I know it could have been over the flat bread sandwiches they just ate....;)

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto

30 teams assumed Ebert had been taken in the 2nd to 3rd round as they just completely forgot to look at their lists from players they had ranked that high for the later rounds, only the Kings went back over it for the 7th round and where completely shocked to find out that Ebert hadnt gotten picked yet.....they jumped right up and said Nick Ebert without hesitation and 29 other gm's went ape **** because they forgot the kid hadn't been picked...just a rumor for now, but that would be pretty crazy if true:sarcasm:

I did see some kind of noise after he was selected though, a few teams were talking from what I could see, but for all I know it could have been over the flat bread sandwiches they just ate....;)

Oddly enough, I kept going through rounds 2-6 to look for when Ebert was taken. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me because I just couldn't find his name. I did find it strange how the Kings just bellowed out "Nick Ebert". Almost as if they totally forgot he was available.

Wacky story if it's true.

jughead42*

I'm pretty sure all teams have their own lists and they remove guys from that list as they are drafted. I find it hard to believe that one team, let alone 29 would miss a guy who was presumably rated that much higher. The more likely scenario is that Ebert has some serious issues, but the Kings fresh off their cup victory feel they could afford to gamble their last pick on fixing them. I've seen him play quite a bit and when you watch him skate with the puck you can see why people loved him so much as a 16yo. He's smooth. Unfortunately he has no clue what to do with the puck half the time, and makes some questionable decisions with it, as well as without it. He has absolutely zero hockey IQ it seems at times, and I'm sure that scared a lot of teams away along with his questionable work ethic. If he does figure it out, he could be a steal. But I don't think it's through some crazy error that he was drafted so late.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Erik Karlsson is listed at 5'11 and Doughty is listed at 6'0. Height is not the problem here.

I hope he can turn it around for himself in LA's system. Seems to be a case of a guy getting caught up in his own hype which is a shame.

The average height for D men in the league is something like 6'2.5, and there is a reason for that.

Sure you have some successful smaller D, but by far the vast majority of D men are pretty big. And if they are smaller they better have some mad skills. You don't see many (if any) sub 6 foot d men in the league who are not putting up bigger numbers.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I sort of got a chuckle when I was watching the draft and when they got to the last pick, you could hear the LA Kings brass talking amongst themselves "We have nothing to lose" or something to that degree. I sort of figured they would either pick a Russian or Ebert at that point

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Tough year for the kid. It's not what you do before getting drafted that matters though. Hopefully being "Mr. Irrelevant" motivates this kid and he can embarrass the scouts in five years.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
The average height for D men in the league is something like 6'2.5, and there is a reason for that.

Sure you have some successful smaller D, but by far the vast majority of D men are pretty big. And if they are smaller they better have some mad skills. You don't see many (if any) sub 6 foot d men in the league who are not putting up bigger numbers.

Well he DOES have skill (or is supposed to) but just hasn't utilized it to his full potential.

pirolafire

Jan 19, 2008
I'm pretty sure all teams have their own lists and they remove guys from that list as they are drafted. I find it hard to believe that one team, let alone 29 would miss a guy who was presumably rated that much higher. The more likely scenario is that Ebert has some serious issues, but the Kings fresh off their cup victory feel they could afford to gamble their last pick on fixing them. I've seen him play quite a bit and when you watch him skate with the puck you can see why people loved him so much as a 16yo. He's smooth. Unfortunately he has no clue what to do with the puck half the time, and makes some questionable decisions with it, as well as without it. He has absolutely zero hockey IQ it seems at times, and I'm sure that scared a lot of teams away along with his questionable work ethic. If he does figure it out, he could be a steal. But I don't think it's through some crazy error that he was drafted so late.
funny that you're describing a guy that people thought could go 1st overall or at least 1st dman in this year's draft last year. what happened??

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
perfect low risk, high reward pick, exactly what you look for in the in the 7th round. if someone/something can light this kids fire again then the kings will have themselves a steal.

King RAZZ

Los Cucarachas
Apr 26, 2007
The Roach Motel
razzilla.multiply.com
Ebert is scary good. You watch him play and there really isn't an aspect to his game that that stands out as a weakness and there are oh so many strengths. The pinhead above who's talking about Ryan Ellis making Ebert look good has absolutely no clue what he's talking about. Judging from the avatar he's just an assburnt Kitchener fan that's still bitter about his crappy team choking in the conference finals last year to Windsor so he's poo-pooing their prospect. Ebert looks like a 19yo veteran on the ice, if he's not the top defenceman of his draft year I'm a monkey's uncle.
I hate to do this...but how is your nephew...Bonzo...doing???

BTW...I'm glad the Kings got him with the final pick...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
funny that you're describing a guy that people thought could go 1st overall or at least 1st dman in this year's draft last year. what happened??

That's the question I have. He was still a consensus 1st rounder as recently as what-October? To almos be undrafted speaks to more than just his on-ice performance.

byeyimini

Sep 10, 2002
Visit site
Once again the amazing crop of 2012-eligible WHL defenders aren't getting enough love in this thread.

Ryan Murray and Griffin Reinhart will definitely get some talk as being top 3-5.

Other guys like Pouliot, Rielly, Dumba will all likely go in the first round too.

It's crazy to see so many defenders in that age group being so good. I could honestly see 15 defenseman being taken in the first round alone.

'only' 13 dmen in the 1st round to be exact there Renegade ! C'mon, you need to get more accurate with these predictions 18 months before the draft !! :sarcasm: Great forecasts here, well done !

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
'only' 13 dmen in the 1st round to be exact there Renegade ! C'mon, you need to get more accurate with these predictions 18 months before the draft !! :sarcasm: Great forecasts here, well done !

:handclap:

He's one of the best posters on this site and his predictions are amazingly accurate.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Ebert has a long haul to get to the NHL with the Kings. There are plenty of defensemen in the organization that he will have to out work to get his shot, even in Manchester.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad