RD Nick Ebert - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2012, 211th overall, Los Angeles)

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
Here's a report I had on him from when I watched him last December..

Nick Ebert (Waterloo) | 1994 | 6’1″ | 185lbs | 15GP 1G 5A 6P |

I was pretty impressed with the 15 year old defenseman in this game, and he did a lot to show me that he should be one of the first players taken in the OHL draft next year. Ebert has very good size and plays a real solid game on the backend. He competes hard and is effective positionally. Transitionally, he moves the puck well and has some untapped offensive potential. His skating needs some work moving forward and he could stand to utilize his teammates quicker when he headman’s the puck, but there’s a lot to like about Ebert’s game.

Nascarfan12

Oct 16, 2008
near Toronto
He was pared with Cam Fowler today at Windsors first scrimmage. I didnt stick around for the 2nd one. So did Windsor basically trade Shugg and Cantin for him since they gave back a few of the pics to get him ?

LeafsFan18

Go Leafs Go
Aug 18, 2009
Windsor
He was pared with Cam Fowler today at Windsors first scrimmage. I didnt stick around for the 2nd one. So did Windsor basically trade Shugg and Cantin for him since they gave back a few of the pics to get him ?

So far the deal is

Shugg
Cantin

For

Ebert
2nd 2013
15th 2014 COND.

There is for sure more to come of this with Kerby Rychel being sent to Windsor either at the trade deadline or once the season ends. Windsor could send more vets over to Mississauga as well.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Nick Ebert #1 2012?

This kid is just something special, and has been for some time now. The way he has handled the OHL in his first year has been a real revelation so far; we knew he was a good one.

The 2012 draft might be similar to the 2010 draft talent wise, but it seems like it may be top heavy dman wise. Plenty to chose from in all leagues as high end defensemen, but Ebert looks to be above the group currently.

Yakupov and Galchenyuk will be battling it out for the top forward, but I think Ebert could be the next Erik Johnson and go #1 overall from the backend.

Should be a very solid draft, and plenty of time for many names to rise and fall, but as it stands currently, Nick Ebert could be the first player taken in the NHL come June 2012.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I've only seen him a couple of times this season, but in both games he was impressive. Kid has the poise of a veteran, and his offensive game is way ahead of where you'd expect it to be at that age.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
He's top 4, for sure. I still think Nail Yakupov is the top of the class. He's just a great hockey player. Can score in bunches and has a nice physical game as well. Kind of like a more physical and complete Patrick Kane.

Grigorenko, Ebert, Galchenyuk, and Frk can round out a very solid top 5.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He's top 4, for sure. I still think Nail Yakupov is the top of the class. He's just a great hockey player. Can score in bunches and has a nice physical game as well. Kind of like a more physical and complete Patrick Kane.

Grigorenko, Ebert, Galchenyuk, and Frk can round out a very solid top 5.

I agree with you on Yakupov, as he is lights out. But the main reason why I feel Ebert could go #1 is; do you really think a team will draft a Russian #1 overall again?

Yes Yakupov is playing in North America, yes he has all world skills and those with similar skills want to be in the NHL, but I am still hesitant to say a Russian will go #1 overall again until I see it.

Galchenyuk is a different story as he was born in the US and could represent the US next year which makes him more attractive to gm's as a player that will never bolt to Russia...

On talent alone Yakupov is #1, but Ebert is right there imo....but other factors can play into this come June 2012.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Once again the amazing crop of 2012-eligible WHL defenders aren't getting enough love in this thread.

Ryan Murray and Griffin Reinhart will definitely get some talk as being top 3-5.

Other guys like Pouliot, Rielly, Dumba will all likely go in the first round too.

It's crazy to see so many defenders in that age group being so good. I could honestly see 15 defenseman being taken in the first round alone.

SensFan26

Oct 27, 2009
Sturgeon County, AB
It's early and a small sample size obviously but I don't see how Frk is considered a Top 5 pick right now.

Don't look at the World Juniors as sample size. He has been on the 3rd line of the Czech team so far. If you had the pleasure of living in a city with a Q team, then I would suggest going to a game that he is playing in. The guy has an amazing shot and has great vision. All he needs to work on is his skating and speed.

PGCougarsDynasty

Dec 27, 2010
I'm gonna throw in with renegade here and say that someone from the dub will go first overall. My guess would be Ryan Murray, he seems like a champ....

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Once again the amazing crop of 2012-eligible WHL defenders aren't getting enough love in this thread.

Ryan Murray and Griffin Reinhart will definitely get some talk as being top 3-5.

Other guys like Pouliot, Rielly, Dumba will all likely go in the first round too.

It's crazy to see so many defenders in that age group being so good. I could honestly see 15 defenseman being taken in the first round alone.

I dont think they are being overlooked at all. I only named one defender (Ebert) and a few OHL forwards.

As it stands Ebert is better then Murray and Reinhart, that could obviously change, but I am talking about going #1 overall, and Murray is a bit to small to do that. I doubt Murray goes as high as he is rated, but his skill set is lights out. He is very entertaining to watch and I hope he continues to grow some by his draft. Though his numbers are down this year.

It is going to be an amazing year for dmen as kids like Jacob Trouba and Max Iafrate could be making tons of noise as well come draft time. Ebert is the all around version of Cam Fowler, whatever reasons led to Fowlers drop, Ebert does not have.

EDIT: Last I saw Murray he looked pretty small, but I guess he isnt as small as he looks....just went by visual with Murray and not what he is listed at...if that is believable??

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Don't look at the World Juniors as sample size. He has been on the 3rd line of the Czech team so far. If you had the pleasure of living in a city with a Q team, then I would suggest going to a game that he is playing in. The guy has an amazing shot and has great vision. All he needs to work on is his skating and speed.

Like I said, it's a small sample size and I could be wrong as I don't live anywhere close to a QMJHL city. It's not about his results here but his obvious flaws that I can't imagine look any better in the Q. His skating is bad in every facet from what I've seen. I just can't see him going Top 5 with that big of a flaw and I've noticed I'm not the only one (QMJHL followers as well) to have this opinion. 1st round? Sure. Granted, he still has time to improve the skating and continue to get better overall so he could get there in time but I don't see it with early projections. Wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong though.

I have been impressed with his work along the boards, nut shot aside.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
it's gonna be a bad year for canadians in the 2012draft(well not bad but no elite prospects coming out of the draft that we know of now)
maybe a seguin type will come out of nowhere

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
If i was a GM in this draft I would be pulling my hair out, I would be going over everything...Grigorenko, Yakupov, do I take a russian and have risk, do i take Ebert, Reilly, Pouliot, Murray, Galchenuyk, like really this draft is so heavy in the first two rounds it is looking like I would be doing back flips if I had 2 picks in the 1st round LOL.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
it's gonna be a bad year for canadians in the 2012draft(well not bad but no elite prospects coming out of the draft that we know of now)
maybe a seguin type will come out of nowhere

From what I've seen this year (OHL) the top Canadian forward would be Matia Marcantuoni. I've seen Sarnia 2x and I have MM ahead of Galchenyuk. But from all reports from friends in Windsor they are very impressed with Ebert.

Question.....there was a hot baseball prospect named Nick Ebert.
Is this the same guy?

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
From what I've seen this year (OHL) the top Canadian forward would be Matia Marcantuoni. I've seen Sarnia 2x and I have MM ahead of Galchenyuk. But from all reports from friends in Windsor they are very impressed with Ebert.

Question.....there was a hot baseball prospect named Nick Ebert.
Is this the same guy?

No. That Ebert plays for the South Carolina Gamecocks.

PGCougarsDynasty

Dec 27, 2010
I dont think they are being overlooked at all. I only named one defender (Ebert) and a few OHL forwards.

As it stands Ebert is better then Murray and Reinhart, that could obviously change, but I am talking about going #1 overall, and Murray is a bit to small to do that. I doubt Murray goes as high as he is rated, but his skill set is lights out. He is very entertaining to watch and I hope he continues to grow some by his draft. Though his numbers are down this year.

It is going to be an amazing year for dmen as kids like Jacob Trouba and Max Iafrate could be making tons of noise as well come draft time. Ebert is the all around version of Cam Fowler, whatever reasons led to Fowlers drop, Ebert does not have.

EDIT: Last I saw Murray he looked pretty small, but I guess he isnt as small as he looks....just went by visual with Murray and not what he is listed at...if that is believable??

Ebert may be a lot more offensive minded than murray, but there could be a few factors that would cause murray to be picked ahead of ebert. He became Everett's best defencemen as a sixteen year old last year and was +33. He captained canada to gold at the summer U18 and probably wouldn't have looked out of place on the U20 this year. Barring injury he will play in the WJs in his draft year (Ebert has less of a chance to play for US IMO). However, if Ebert is as good as you say he is it will be a tight race. I honestly believe that these two will be the ones who will battle for first overall in 2012.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Ebert may be a lot more offensive minded than murray, but there could be a few factors that would cause murray to be picked ahead of ebert. He became Everett's best defencemen as a sixteen year old last year and was +33. He captained canada to gold at the summer U18 and probably wouldn't have looked out of place on the U20 this year. Barring injury he will play in the WJs in his draft year (Ebert has less of a chance to play for US IMO). However, if Ebert is as good as you say he is it will be a tight race. I honestly believe that these two will be the ones who will battle for first overall in 2012.

I am not downing Murray at all. He is an offensive defensemen that simply hasnt had the numbers that one would expect this season. Now numbers arent the end all, and I usually argue that, but in the WHL it seems dmen score in bunches and he hasnt.

I am sure Murray has improved his all around game, but Ebert is every bit of a two way threat as well. Ebert needs to work on things as well, but what he currently has (skillset) not many others can match.

as for the WJC, I would be floored if Ebert does not make Team USA next year. Though the blueline will be crowded from the likes of : Forbort, Merrill, Faulk, Clendening, Oleksiak, Tinordi, Johns, Levi, Mayfield, Russo etc, USA Hockey will make room for him the way they did with Fowler last season. I hope both are at the WJC representing their respective countries, as it will be a nice battle to see how they both perform on a big stage.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I know a guy who coached this kid at one point. Said he was like a combination of Chris Pronger and Mike Green. He's huge, he's talented, and he should be going top-5 at wors.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Pretty much every Windsor game I've seen he stands out. Which for a 16 year old defenseman is pretty darn impressive.

The Leafs need a forward badly, But I wouldn't be dissapointed at all if we were lucky enough to grab him. He'd be the ideal replacement for Kaberle.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I agree with you on Yakupov, as he is lights out. But the main reason why I feel Ebert could go #1 is; do you really think a team will draft a Russian #1 overall again?

Yes Yakupov is playing in North America, yes he has all world skills and those with similar skills want to be in the NHL, but I am still hesitant to say a Russian will go #1 overall again until I see it.

Galchenyuk is a different story as he was born in the US and could represent the US next year which makes him more attractive to gm's as a player that will never bolt to Russia...

On talent alone Yakupov is #1, but Ebert is right there imo....but other factors can play into this come June 2012.

I'm also a huge Galchenyuk fan. He's been compared to Marian Hossa by Igor Larianov.

BIG BLUE

Apr 4, 2009
Toronto
Pretty much every Windsor game I've seen he stands out. Which for a 16 year old defenseman is pretty darn impressive.

The Leafs need a forward badly, But I wouldn't be dissapointed at all if we were lucky enough to grab him. He'd be the ideal replacement for Kaberle.

you have to go BPA really IMO

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->