RD Nick Ebert - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2012, 211th overall, Los Angeles)

jughead42*

I hate to do this...but how is your nephew...Bonzo...doing???

BTW...I'm glad the Kings got him with the final pick...

Haha! :laugh: Yeah, I truly believed that after watching him as a 16yo, but you expect a kid to get better from there not slide off the charts into the abyss like he did. I am a monkey's uncle, I got this one wrong. It just goes to show what a crap game it is to predict the development of a 16yo player.

Oilmageddon*

And again, I'm not comparing him to EJ, hes not comparing him to EJ. I'm comparing draft situation.

And IMO Ebert isn't even the best 2012 Elligible defensemen in the CHL. Its Murray or Reinhart, who don't have one of the best defensemen in the CHL on their defensive pair. We'l see how he does next year without Ellis.
Wow the prophet comes through . Impressive and even had them ranked how it ended 2 years in advance bravo.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Got this from the NJD board...

His dad surrendered to police after a 3 hour standoff when he barricaded himself in his home:

http://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2013/02/nj_man_surrenders_to_police_af.html#incart_m-rpt-1

One day last fall, Tom Shaw went to pick up the mail his next-door neighbor, Donald Ebert, saved for him while he was away.

"I guess you’ve been hearing all the fights," Ebert told him.

Shaw hadn’t heard anything, but that’s the first time he realized Ebert was having troubles with the woman with whom he was living.

Today those troubles escalated, beginning with Ebert striking the woman in the head with the butt of a handgun outside Morristown Medical Center and ending with him surrendering to police after a three-hour standoff at his home in Livingston, officials said.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
what a complete turn around this year for Nick.

his family issues obviously were a concern to him over the past few years but seeing him this season I have to say how proud and impressed I have been with him. he is legitimately turning his career around.

he is in the top 10 in scoring for dmen with 42 points, but what is amazing is his plus/minus of +43!

he was a minus player ever since he started playing in the OHL, but this year he has focused on his overall game and has raised his game leaps and bounds without sacrificing his offense.

I can only hope he continues with his new found confidence and ability to play both sides of the puck. if he can do so he will find his way onto a NHL roster (Kings) very soon and no one will be making jokes about mr. irrelevant.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Would be quite a turn of events to see him bring it back like this. I was extremely surprised to see no one take the chance on him.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Good for him, must be hard to be the last player getting draft in 2012. Could be a steal, L.A have been good at developing d-man.

Devils Trap

May 6, 2009
New Jersey
I played High School hockey with him...... Lol well traveling during his high school years but still

We played on the Hackensack Avalanche... Happy he is doing well. Was a Devils fans

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Would be quite a turn of events to see him bring it back like this. I was extremely surprised to see no one take the chance on him.

This.

I understand a player dropping in the draft, but to fall all the way to the last pick? IMO, guys with that kind of early buzz are still worth the risk of taking in the middle rounds, even if they're no longer considered as highly as they previously were.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
This.

I understand a player dropping in the draft, but to fall all the way to the last pick? IMO, guys with that kind of early buzz are still worth the risk of taking in the middle rounds, even if they're no longer considered as highly as they previously were.
Yes. You would think every GM thought he was was taken already.

That being said, his +/- seems to be a typical case of playing for two good teams, especially the Guelph Storm. They seem to score 6 goals every game.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

That being said, his +/- seems to be a typical case of playing for two good teams, especially the Guelph Storm. They seem to score 6 goals every game.

I am sure that helps some, but his first full year with Windsor that team was scoring goals left and right and he was still minus.

Last year he was a -39 , obviously the team was bad and didn't put up a ton of offense, but to go from -39 to +43 is a massive turn around for a player like this.

It is just a good sign for Ebert that he is finally understanding to play both sides of the ice.

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada
This.

Honestly, it was kinda insane how he went from top 5 pick in September to dead last by June.

I remember Kabanov being up there in September and falling back as well. Were there any other guys who were in the top 5 in one of the McKenzie list but fell fast and hard?

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
I played High School hockey with him...... Lol well traveling during his high school years but still

We played on the Hackensack Avalanche... Happy he is doing well. Was a Devils fans

Lol so not only did he get drafted last overall in the draft, he got drafted by the team that just beat his favourite team in the Cup finals:laugh:

Good to see him doing well though.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Honestly, it was kinda insane how he went from top 5 pick in September to dead last by June.

I remember Kabanov being up there in September and falling back as well. Were there any other guys who were in the top 5 in one of the McKenzie list but fell fast and hard?

As far as I remember, only one place had him listed as top 5, and that was not one of the big scouting services. I don't remember MacKenzie having him that high, though its possible.

His draft came down to a few issues. He measured notably shorter than advertised (5'11.25), and his play was digressing. Indeed, his first 3 years in the OHL, every year he played more games, every year his point total went down. Thats just not progression.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
As far as I remember, only one place had him listed as top 5, and that was not one of the big scouting services. I don't remember MacKenzie having him that high, though its possible.

His draft came down to a few issues. He measured notably shorter than advertised (5'11.25), and his play was digressing. Indeed, his first 3 years in the OHL, every year he played more games, every year his point total went down. Thats just not progression.

well to be fair, he dropped only 2 and 3 points respectively the following 2 seasons from his rookie year - 41-39-38. not like he fell off the Earth, but yes you want to see progression and not regression.

plus many scouting services had them inside their top 10, The Hockey News did a big thing on him as well inside their top 5 I believe.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010

It was The Hockey News. I have the issue; Brayden Schenn is on the front.

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010

IIRC, Gianluca Curcuruto was top 10 at least.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Hadn't looked into Nick's progress since last summer after hearing all of the rumors and "analysis". While you can attribute some of the numbers to playing on "two good teams" it looks like he deserves some credit for that success. In particular with Windsor he was +27 in just 27 games. That's still the third-best mark for the Spitfires on the season.

Not sure what this means for his future and whether he is tendered an offer by the Kings at the end of the year or not but it's certainly a credit to his perseverance if nothing else.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Hadn't looked into Nick's progress since last summer after hearing all of the rumors and "analysis". While you can attribute some of the numbers to playing on "two good teams" it looks like he deserves some credit for that success. In particular with Windsor he was +27 in just 27 games. That's still the third-best mark for the Spitfires on the season.

Not sure what this means for his future and whether he is tendered an offer by the Kings at the end of the year or not but it's certainly a credit to his perseverance if nothing else.

The big thing for me was a turn around in the offensive game. His first three years in the league he played progressively more games, and progressively produced less points. Thats an astounding statistic.

The turn around was not huge, but its a step in the correct direction.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I am sure that helps some, but his first full year with Windsor that team was scoring goals left and right and he was still minus.

Last year he was a -39 , obviously the team was bad and didn't put up a ton of offense, but to go from -39 to +43 is a massive turn around for a player like this.

It is just a good sign for Ebert that he is finally understanding to play both sides of the ice.

Or it's an indication he went from a poor team to a superpower team...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad