RD Nick Ebert - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2012, 211th overall, Los Angeles)

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Potential top 5 pick to very last player taken. Biggest Draft fall from grace ever? Talk about motivation to prove the hockey world wrong.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
If Ebert had gone undrafted, he would probably have had more motivation to prove people wrong. Instead, he's now drafted and will probably continue being lazy now.

Jwm1986

Apr 12, 2009
Los Angeles
If a title called "MR Irrelevant" doesnt motivate him, then i dont know what will...

I like this pick....the Kings have a stacked dman pipeline....why not take a chance with the last pick on a high reward guy?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
With his play this year it can't be surprising. Selfish maybe, but I'm just happy I'm not eating crow now when last year I had numerous disagreements with some posters who were firm on Ebert being a top play and, looking back now how hilarious it is, a potential first overall pick. Anyone else remember when AmericanDream had him first overall? :laugh:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
With his play this year it can't be surprising. Selfish maybe, but I'm just happy I'm not eating crow now when last year I had numerous disagreements with some posters who were firm on Ebert being a top play and, looking back now how hilarious it is, a potential first overall pick. Anyone else remember when AmericanDream had him first overall? :laugh:

I have to admit I'm shocked he went this low. I knew he wasn't going to be a 1st rounder, but I thought for sure he's be picked by the 3rd or 4th. What a fall!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I have to admit I'm shocked he went this low. I knew he wasn't going to be a 1st rounder, but I thought for sure he's be picked by the 3rd or 4th. What a fall!

pretty insane stuff.... have no idea what a lot of teams where thinking but this kid at least played at the CHL level and performed well enough this year to go higher then some of the US Highschool kids and lower level players throughout North America...

pretty crazy that 2 dmen ranked in the top 20 barely a year ago went in the last rounds of the draft...ebert and Gianluca Curcuruto...

....also am I missing something or did Max Iafrate not get drafted??? thats pretty nuts as well

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
You guys have no idea how upset his father, Roger, is. Two thumbs down, NHL. Two thumbs down.

That sir, was brilliant.

What was up with iafrate not getting drafted? Tor should have at least used a 7th on him for nostalgia (altho I am Looving the guy they did pick....but still)

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Ebert was the product of his own personality combined with huge expectations. When you're essentially supposed to replace the best d-man in team history, and you don't, but you believe you have, it's not a good recipe. I would love it if Ebert scored 20 this year and proved everyone wrong, but will he? :help:

RandR

May 15, 2011
Once again the amazing crop of 2012-eligible WHL defenders aren't getting enough love in this thread.

Ryan Murray and Griffin Reinhart will definitely get some talk as being top 3-5.

Other guys like Pouliot, Rielly, Dumba will all likely go in the first round too.

It's crazy to see so many defenders in that age group being so good. I could honestly see 15 defenseman being taken in the first round alone.
Just read the first and last page of this thread... couldn't help but notice that this poster was dead on with what he said 1 1/2 years ago! :yo::yo:

Heatleys Eye

Feb 23, 2010
Ebert looks like a 19yo veteran on the ice, if he's not the top defenceman of his draft year I'm a monkey's uncle.

Sorry couldn't resist - there are tons of these gems in this thread though - HF experts on top of their game as usual :laugh:

monkeys_uncle_tshirt-p235289342482544482zval7_400.jpg

pirolafire

Jan 19, 2008
There's no reason for his fall. Not one. He's playng the same game that he always has and has been playing effectively for a young team that for some odd reason is seen as underperforming expectations. He's +2 on a team that's given up a ton of goals.

If he falls out of Top 15 he's going to be the steal of the draft. There are very few scouts who rate his hockey sense as anything less than superior. His skating is well above average. He's strong as a bull. The list goes on with this player.

what if hes picked last?

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I have spoken to some who have seen him this season and he was not as bad as everyone is saying.

A lot of it did have to do with being under a lot of pressure to not just replace Ellis, but become the #1 dman on a very young team.

At times people forget that he just turned 18. I'm much older and I can't imagine the feeling of being thrown into the #1 dman slot in just your second year in the OHL and being expected to be the leader at such a young age on such a young team. The expectations on him were very unrealistic I think.

Did he play poorly at times? Sure.

Can he rebound? Yes.

He should not have gone past the 4th round...

This is a good read: http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/6/23/3113046/nick-ebert-goes-dead-last-in-the-2012-nhl-entry-draft

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad