RD Moritz Seider (2019, 6th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
For his age he is pretty polished. Yet, there is still a lot of untapped potential.

I have seen several people say that he is a "safe" pick but has a lower ceiling than some others. I think his ceiling is actually pretty high.

Yes, I agree with this. But he's not 'raw'. I think, with Seider, what you see is what you get. The player he is now is the type of player he'll in the NHL as well. I do think he has upside as a top pair defensive D in the mold of an Adam Larsson type but on the downside if the doesn't reach his ceiling he'll be a pretty meh/vanilla player. I could definitely see teams liking him and having him high on their draftboards, but to me he's just not a very exciting player and if I'm going with a defenseman I'd rather take someone that has more to offer should they not reach their ceiling. I'd have guys like Byram, York and Heinola ahead of him. Broberg vs Seider is a pretty interesting debate though.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Yes, I agree with this. But he's not 'raw'. I think, with Seider, what you see is what you get. The player he is now is the type of player he'll in the NHL as well. I do think he has upside as a top pair defensive D in the mold of an Adam Larsson type but on the downside if the doesn't reach his ceiling he'll be a pretty meh/vanilla player. I could definitely see teams liking him and having him high on their draftboards, but to me he's just not a very exciting player and if I'm going with a defenseman I'd rather take someone that has more to offer should they not reach their ceiling. I'd have guys like Byram, York and Heinola ahead of him. Broberg vs Seider is a pretty interesting debate though.

I can agree with most of this. Byram is definitely ahead of him. I also have York ahead of him. Not that sure about Heinola, but I can understand why others may think so. I think Heinola, Seider, Broberg and maybe Söderström are pretty close.
Not too sure about the Larsson comparison. As someone who has watched about 90% of the Oilers games since Larsson got there and also many games of Seider I see some similarities, but not too many. I believe Seider has more offensive potential than a Larsson type player. The way he skates and joins the rush regularly is something you rarely see from someone like Larsson. Will he be able to do it at the NHL level? I don't know, but the upside is there.

Seeing the progress Seider has made over the course of just this past season,from establishing himself as a regular player on the DEL team to ultimately being the best defenseman on the German IIHF World Championship team, was just amazing.
At the beginning of the season I still had some doubts and saw Seider as a late 1st round pick or maybe an early 2nd round pick. Now I think he could even go in the Top 15.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I can agree with most of this. Byram is definitely ahead of him. I also have York ahead of him. Not that sure about Heinola, but I can understand why others may think so. I think Heinola, Seider, Broberg and maybe Söderström are pretty close.
Not too sure about the Larsson comparison. As someone who has watched about 90% of the Oilers games since Larsson got there and also many games of Seider I see some similarities, but not too many. I believe Seider has more offensive potential than a Larsson type player. The way he skates and joins the rush regularly is something you rarely see from someone like Larsson. Will he be able to do it at the NHL level? I don't know, but the upside is there.

Seeing the progress Seider has made over the course of just this past season,from establishing himself as a regular player on the DEL team to ultimately being the best defenseman on the German IIHF World Championship team, was just amazing.
At the beginning of the season I still had some doubts and saw Seider as a late 1st round pick or maybe an early 2nd round pick. Now I think he could even go in the Top 15.

This is why I think it wont be a surprise to see him get picked top 10. This is a much more impressive accomplishment for an 18 year old defense most people are giving credit. I think the Ducks take him at 9.

Last edited:
Reactions: BertMcDrai and bert

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
RHD, good skating with size, peformed well at every level including playing against men. He's going to be a top 10 pick, defenceman and centers are a premium especially right-handed ones.

Reactions: BertMcDrai

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not sure if this guy is worthy of a top 10 pick. He doesn't seem to have the standout skills of a top ten pick. Is he good in a lot of areas of the game? Yes, but if his ceiling is a 30 point per season defensemen who is the 2nd or 3rd best defensive defensemen on his own team, I don't think thats the type of player you want to be drafting with such a high pick. Dobson, who I think has better offensive skills than Seider, only went 12th. The 16-25 range seems a better range for Seider.

The WC stuff and playing a bigger role for his country doesn't matter beyond an extra evaluation against good competition. You can't be holding it against other players that their country has better players than Germany does. Thats not going to make Seider a better NHL player.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Feel like i'm watching a less offensively skilled ristolainen.....and by no means is that an insult. He seems like a solid sure bet to be a good defenseman for a long time. More potential to be a brick wall defensively than risto IMO.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm not sure if this guy is worthy of a top 10 pick. He doesn't seem to have the standout skills of a top ten pick. Is he good in a lot of areas of the game? Yes, but if his ceiling is a 30 point per season defensemen who is the 2nd or 3rd best defensive defensemen on his own team, I don't think thats the type of player you want to be drafting with such a high pick. Dobson, who I think has better offensive skills than Seider, only went 12th. The 16-25 range seems a better range for Seider.

The WC stuff and playing a bigger role for his country doesn't matter beyond an extra evaluation against good competition. You can't be holding it against other players that their country has better players than Germany does. Thats not going to make Seider a better NHL player.

Hampus Lindholm didn't have the standout skills of a top 10 pick either, but he was a raw kid with a lot of great tools that went 6th OVR, and the Ducks scouting staff looks pretty smart for taking him there.

If a team's scouts think that Seider can be a force defensively that has enough skill and smarts to potentially chip in 30-40P a year, he could go as high as Lindholm.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hampus Lindholm didn't have the standout skills of a top 10 pick either, but he was a raw kid with a lot of great tools that went 6th OVR, and the Ducks scouting staff looks pretty smart for taking him there.

If a team's scouts think that Seider can be a force defensively that has enough skill and smarts to potentially chip in 30-40P a year, he could go as high as Lindholm.

Thats if you think he can be a defensive force. Lindholm is a defensive force. Is Seider the best player in this draft at defending or will he merely be above-average?

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
From a guy that has watched Hampus very closely since early his draft year I can confidently say Seider is ahead of him as far as his overall development in almost every aspect. I think Seider ends up being about as good defensively as he has the size and jam... think he has the tools to be better offensively.

I get that he's not a sexy pick compared to the high skill forwards in this draft but realistically half these forwards everyone is excited about will never be legit top liners. Seider will almost surely be atleast a complimentary middle pairing defensman at worst.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

While i agree the top-end for Seider may not warrant a top-15 pick, its unfair to point to last years draft class. 5 other D went before Dobson last year. 2018 might be the best D draft class of this generation. Of course, Seidler would have gone low in that mix. Seidler is likely the 3rd best D in this weaker D-draft class. That will push his stock up.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He should easily be the 2nd D off the board, and should be a top 10 guy.

I know that he's viewed that way by many teams.
How do you know the draft boards of many teams? Trying to rack my brains thinking of who would. Are you an extremely well connected journalist or scout?

Reactions: canucklax

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
How do you know the draft boards of many teams? Trying to rack my brains thinking of who would. Are you an extremely well connected journalist or scout?
Don't know any draft boards, I know what some teams scouts have been saying about Seider from someone who would be very close

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
He is surging on some of these lists post-combine. Eager to see where Button and McKenzie have him. Looks like Button's list is coming out tomorrow.

HP.com puts Seider at 10th overall.

Grant McCagg ranked him even higher in the list he sent out tonight (I won't spoil out since you must pay for the list and his guide).

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He is surging on some of these lists post-combine. Eager to see where Button and McKenzie have him. Looks like Button's list is coming out tomorrow.

HP.com puts Seider at 10th overall.

Grant McCagg ranked him even higher in the list he sent out tonight (I won't spoil out since you must pay for the list and his guide).
He's going to be off the board somewhere around 10, give or take a spot or 2. Guys around in him Germany have been seeing and hearing it all year, there were literally dozens and dozens of scouts at every Mannheim game in the New Year, and something like 60+ at his last game.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He's going to be off the board somewhere around 10, give or take a spot or 2. Guys around in him Germany have been seeing and hearing it all year, there were literally dozens and dozens of scouts at every Mannheim game in the New Year, and something like 60+ at his last game.

I actually think it was 80+ at his last game.

I like the player and love the tool kit, but I wouldn't take him in the top 15.

After that, I could be convinced to take him pretty much anywhere.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I actually think it was 80+ at his last game.

I like the player and love the tool kit, but I wouldn't take him in the top 15.

After that, I could be convinced to take him pretty much anywhere.

Why? Low ceiling? I can't see him not being an NHLer in some capacity, and I have yet to see a strong argument as to why he won't be at least a #4 in his D+2.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Why? Low ceiling? I can't see him not being an NHLer in some capacity, and I have yet to see a strong argument as to why he won't be at least a #4 in his D+2.

No I actually think his ceiling is quite significant, but there is a ton of work that remains to be done before he can come close to reaching it.

His gap integrity, particularly in the NZ has scared me a bit but he was MUCH better with this at the worlds so that quelled those concerns a bit.

I thought of him as a guy worth taking in the mid 20's before the Worlds FYI, so being worthy of a 16-20 selection is quite the jump.

I can totally see him going top 10-12 though. The toolkit is intoxicating.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I predict whichever team drafts him will have a hard time not keeping him on their roster after training camp.

I do think he could use another season in the DEL with more offensive responsibility to refine his offensive chops though. AHL next season might be a good option as well since he's already physically mature.

Reactions: Sam Steel

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
It is difficult for me to judge when he may get picked, because while I have seen a lot of Seider throughout all the season, I have seen comparatively little from all the other players that are expected to go between 10 and 25.
At the start of the season I thought it would be in the late 1st or early second and after the season I figured he could go Top15, but expected him to go a little later, because I felt that he was still under the radar. But again this was all based on somewhat skewed input because I had seen so much more of Seider than of anybody else.

Now that he has risen in quite a few rankings I really don't know what to expect regarding his draft position, but I am sure he will become a useful NHL player. I am even more sure of this than I was with Draisaitl at the same point of his draft year.
Seider is the real deal and he has the kind of maturity and professionalism that he will use every tool put at his disposal to improve his game. So I think once he is drafted and gets his work out schedule and whatever the teams provide for their prospects, he will take some more big steps in his development.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
He's going to Detroit, I heard.

Detroit grabbing him there would be like dropping a grenade at a lot of draft tables.

You’d see some teams scrambling to jump up to get Broberg while the teams that don’t get either would be looking to slide back unless they’re super desperate to go for Harley early.

Reactions: alexislafreniere
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad