RD Moritz Seider (2019, 6th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
A player like Dach, Cozens, or Zegras is likely to be there at 6. Will they really take Seider at that spot? Seems like a stretch but then I remember Thomas Hickey......

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Corey Pronman at the athletic has him at 22. Fair enough even though I've seen him higher. What got me wondering were his prospect grades:

Skating: 55
Puck skills: 50
Physicality: 65
Hockey sense: 55

(20-80 scale, 20's shit, 80 is elite, 50 average)

I admittedly only saw him at the WHC but from that small sample, what stood out to me was never his physicality but more the puck skills/hockey sense part. That's what I thought would be his calling card, but Pronman mentions that there's doubt about those abilities as well as his chance to be a regular PP presence. Maybe it was just because Germany has had big Dmen before but few who are good on the puck, but I thought Seider's offensive skill was really good.

Opinions on this from people who watched DEL/U20s?

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
A player like Dach, Cozens, or Zegras is likely to be there at 6. Will they really take Seider at that spot? Seems like a stretch but then I remember Thomas Hickey......

Why would it be a stretch? People don't know much about Seider compared to other prospects.

It would not surprise me at if NHL teams have had Seider high on their lists for a long time. He is a bit of anomaly so he is bound to catch attention.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Corey Pronman at the athletic has him at 22. Fair enough even though I've seen him higher. What got me wondering were his prospect grades:

(20-80 scale, 20's ****, 80 is elite, 50 average)

I admittedly only saw him at the WHC but from that small sample, what stood out to me was never his physicality but more the puck skills/hockey sense part. That's what I thought would be his calling card, but Pronman mentions that there's doubt about those abilities as well as his chance to be a regular PP presence. Maybe it was just because Germany has had big Dmen before but few who are good on the puck, but I thought Seider's offensive skill was really good.

I definitely don't agree with Pronman here. This would be my grades for Seider using the same scale and increments of:
Skating: 60 (Closer to 65 than 55)
Puck skills: 55 (I think he improved over the course of the season, but I still need to see more before I give him a higher grade)
Hockey sense: 65 (Here is where I really disagree with Pronman. I am almost tempted to go to 70)

So on one hand Corey Pronman knows far more about prospects and hockey in general than I do, but on the other hand I can guarantee that I have seen a lot more games of Moritz Seider than he did. So take this for what it's worth.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

(20-80 scale, 20's ****, 80 is elite, 50 average)

The ranking is fine, I'm sure he's around there on a lot of lists and publications.

His valuations of Seider skills make it seem as though he'd never watched him though, they are awful.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
For context, these scouting types seem to be quite conservative with their grades- Jack Hughes does get a 70 for skating, and two other 65s, but the 65s seem to be reserved for the top two prospects. Even Alex Turcotte, who Pronman has at 3, doesn't have a 65 grade.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Why would it be a stretch? People don't know much about Seider compared to other prospects.

It would not surprise me at if NHL teams have had Seider high on their lists for a long time. He is a bit of anomaly so he is bound to catch attention.

At 6 though? With the number of high end forwards (centers) available it would surprise me for him to go that high. We'll see.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Parayko-ish?
I didn’t see him his draft year, but I saw him at Traverse City that fall.

Seider would be slightly a step behind in almost every category, but his puck separation skills are maybe better.

That being said, in any redraft Parayako is a top 10 pick.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Detroit grabbing him there would be like dropping a grenade at a lot of draft tables.

You’d see some teams scrambling to jump up to get Broberg while the teams that don’t get either would be looking to slide back unless they’re super desperate to go for Harley early.

Every year there's at least 1 player that jumps into the top 10 without anyone expecting it. Hayton last year was the most recent example

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Going to be an interesting draft beyond the top 2 picks. Some are slipping , some are rising .. I think the top 20 has a lot of good players. If Seider slips down beyond 15 he is going to be a steal imo.
You’ve got Hughes, Kakko, and Byram at the top of each position group. After those 3, you’ve got like 13-15 guys who could almost go in any order- and Spencer Knight.

CENTER
Dach
Turcotte
Zegras
Krebs

WING
Podkolzin
Boldy
Newhook
Caulfield
Cozens
Kaliev*

DEFENCE
Seider
Broberg
York
Soderstrom
Heinola*

*debatable

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I see Alex Pietrangelo-lite personally. Big, mobile, and smart.

I don't really see Pietrangelo (even lite), or Parayko, or especially not Dougie Hamilton mentioned earlier...I see a Brett Pesce. Hugely valuable player if that's what he ends up being, and i think Seider is probably closer to being there than most. I think Pesce is very realistically a Top-10 player in a re-draft of his year, and Seider does have that little bit of extra potential "upside" offensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad