RD Moritz Seider (2019, 6th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christien

May 1, 2010
I think he ends up on the Red Wings opening night roster.
He’s really that good and it wouldn’t shock me. I think that (in my personal opinion) they should let him play at least another season on Mannheim or in the AHL and let him work on his offense. I can’t wait to see how he looks during preseason.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I wish we had a team in the nhl with a name as catchy as "Jungadler Mannheim".

It just flows off the tongue.

Reactions: missionAvs

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Thought this was quite the reach at 6 when watching the draft but after seeing more and more footage of the kid, I can't help but wonder if the Wings snagged themselves a stud here. He looks really good.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Not sure why it took me so long to watch his highlights.

Maybe it's just the level of talent he's playing against, but his skating seems ridiculously explosive. He seems to be at a stand still and then suddenly 10 feet away from the man that was on him.

Also, his stick handling is impressive.

Reactions: Realgud

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I really don't think the footage needed to be put into slowmo at all based off the speed of play in the scrim, but what really impressed me was his footwork and willingness to jump up into the play. If he can do that against NHL competition and still look as spry he's a surefire top 4 D

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I see the point being made about how Tampa's first round picks since Stamkos/Hedman have been more underwhelming in comparison to their drafting after the first round, but you still have to trust Yzerman, especially when, on the other hand, Detroit's 1st round drafting has been pretty solid. Hoping Seider is the real deal for the Wings!

Also helps that they can put him in Grand Rapids if they want right away, and that Grand Rapids itself is such a great developmental organization.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Seider looks like a monster. #6 is right where he should’ve gone.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Thought this was quite the reach at 6 when watching the draft but after seeing more and more footage of the kid, I can't help but wonder if the Wings snagged themselves a stud here. He looks really good.
I struggle with this, I had barely seen him pre-draft and I'm not sure if me really liking him now is just bias coloring my viewings. I've managed to watch a decent amount of his games now, and with each one I become more okay with the reach.

In particular I love how well he can jump into a rush that he's clearly behind when his team gets possession. He reads the transition so well, starts immediately and can hit the opposing blueline with his teammates more times than not. You can tell that his hockey sense and skating are both top notch just from that (not that there isn't other evidence).

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Tampa’s drafting/development has been better over the last 5-10 years than Detroit’s. I sure hope it improves under Yzerman.

Not sure I'd say Tampa's first round picks have been better though. Mantha at 19 and Larkin at 15 are better than any skaters Tampa has drafted in the first round. Rasmussen at 9 and Zadina at 6 are still to be determined.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not sure I'd say Tampa's first round picks have been better though. Mantha at 19 and Larkin at 15 are better than any skaters Tampa has drafted in the first round. Rasmussen at 9 and Zadina at 6 are still to be determined.
Drouin's better than Mantha or at-worst a draw.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Drouin's better than Mantha or at-worst a draw.

Nah, Mantha's better than Drouin. Much better defensively, much better relative expected goals, goals for and possession the past three seasons and drives play better than Drouin. Better p/60 and p1/60 rate than Drouin in the past three seasons too. The main thing Drouin has going for him is an elite rate of possession zone entries (Mantha's zone entry rate's pretty good too, but not as great as Drouin's), but aside from that, the majority of standard advanced stats imply that Mantha is the better player.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Nah, Mantha's better than Drouin. Much better defensively, much better relative expected goals, goals for and possession the past three seasons and drives play better than Drouin. Better p/60 and p1/60 rate than Drouin in the past three seasons too. The main thing Drouin has going for him is an elite rate of possession zone entries (Mantha's zone entry rate's pretty good too, but not as great as Drouin's), but aside from that, the majority of standard advanced stats imply that Mantha is the better player.
Drouin has outproduced him the last 3 years and Drouin's bad year was primarily caused by being played out of position for an entire season. Drouin was the better 5v5 producer this year. It's close. I don't think it's clear either way. Its clear Larkin is better than any position player Yzerman drafted though. Drouin vs Mantha is likely to rotate by season.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Drouin has outproduced him the last 3 years and Drouin's bad year was primarily caused by being played out of position for an entire season. Drouin was the better 5v5 producer this year. It's close. I don't think it's clear either way. Its clear Larkin is better than any position player Yzerman drafted though. Drouin vs Mantha is likely to rotate by season.

Drouin also played mostly with Shaw and Domi this year, who were producing at an elite rate 5v5 and had a PDO of 103.77 and 104.28, respectively. Given that, I don't think Drouin's 5v5 production this year is sustainable, he certainly regressed as the season went on after a very hot start.

Mantha was also hurt for 15 games, and was on a pace or 55-56 pts, which would've outproduced Drouin's raw point totals this year as well.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
He looks too good to send back to Germany. I'm thinking he's going to Grand Rapids to kick things off and will get at least a cup of coffee on the Wings roster this year. The future looks bright for this kid. Excited to see what he can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad