RD Moritz Seider (2019, 6th, DET)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
In that case, I find it hard to disagree with. I trust Stevie's eye more than almost any other GM in the league.
I’m not sure why you’d blindly trust his eye for prospects. His record in Tampa with 1st round picks is pretty awful. He’s been outstanding in other rounds but the 1st has been pretty bad. Under Yzerman, the Lightning picked Brett Connolly (6th 2010), Vlad Namestnikov (27th 2011), Slater Koekkoek (10th 2012), Jon Drouin (3rd 2013), Tony DeAngelo (19th 2014), Brett Howden (27th 2016), and Cal Foote (14th 2017). Not exactly an impressive list of hits and all his Top 10 picks haven’t exactly lived up to expectations. I mean the very next pick after Connolly was Jeff Skinner. Namestnikov was taken just before Rickard Rackell. The pick right after Koekkoek was Filip Forsberg. The 6 picks after Droiun were Seth Jones, Elias Lindholm, Sean Monahan, Darnell Nurse, Rasmus Ristolainen, and Bo Horvat. DeAngelo was picked ahead of Nick Shmaltz, Kasperi Kapanen, and David Pasternak. Too soon to tell on Howden or Foote. Basically a lot of misses in the first round and especially in the Top 10. Yzerman is great, but I wouldn’t be super blindly confident in his 1st round drafting.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
stevey y drafted a tall fast mobile right shot d. and stevey thinks Seiders best asset is his brain. if hes right its exactly what Detroit needs and should be a top 4d in 2-3 years and #1d in 5 . hope he turns out similar to Pietrangelo but that's a lot to ask for. im going to trust the guy whos been the best gm in the league for the last few years until he proves me wrong.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I’m not sure why you’d blindly trust his eye for prospects. His record in Tampa with 1st round picks is pretty awful. He’s been outstanding in other rounds but the 1st has been pretty bad. Under Yzerman, the Lightning picked Brett Connolly (6th 2010), Vlad Namestnikov (27th 2011), Slater Koekkoek (10th 2012), Jon Drouin (3rd 2013), Tony DeAngelo (19th 2014), Brett Howden (27th 2016), and Cal Foote (14th 2017). Not exactly an impressive list of hits and all his Top 10 picks haven’t exactly lived up to expectations. I mean the very next pick after Connolly was Jeff Skinner. Namestnikov was taken just before Rickard Rackell. The pick right after Koekkoek was Filip Forsberg. The 6 picks after Droiun were Seth Jones, Elias Lindholm, Sean Monahan, Darnell Nurse, Rasmus Ristolainen, and Bo Horvat. DeAngelo was picked ahead of Nick Shmaltz, Kasperi Kapanen, and David Pasternak. Too soon to tell on Howden or Foote. Basically a lot of misses in the first round and especially in the Top 10. Yzerman is great, but I wouldn’t be super blindly confident in his 1st round drafting.
Connolly and Koekoek were bad picks, but every team has a few stinkers. Koekoek is the only actual bust in that list. Connolly had a 40 point year this year, so he's a serviceable player. Namestnikov is pretty good for 27th overall. Drouin wasn't the third best player in his draft but is still a solid top 6 guy. DeAngelo had a 30 point year and was really good for the Rangers. It's still too early to judge Howden and Foote. You can look at any teams record and find guys drafted after their picks who were better.

bigfodee

Jun 22, 2019

Name a GM whose picks all pan out.

Go ahead and name another GM that you wanna set the bar with, and we'll use hindsight to poke holes in all his decisions.

It is a foolish man's argument to take a draft pick in the 15-30 range and go "look at all these other guys drafted after him that turned out to be great!"

What about late round steals? If Zetterberg went 210th, do you think the guys picking at 205-209th are idiots for ignoring his obvious talent?

Reactions: Ho Kogan

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Connolly and Koekoek were bad picks, but every team has a few stinkers. Koekoek is the only actual bust in that list. Connolly had a 40 point year this year, so he's a serviceable player. Namestnikov is pretty good for 27th overall. Drouin wasn't the third best player in his draft but is still a solid top 6 guy. DeAngelo had a 30 point year and was really good for the Rangers. It's still too early to judge Howden and Foote. You can look at any teams record and find guys drafted after their picks who were better.

Name a GM whose picks all pan out.

Go ahead and name another GM that you wanna set the bar with, and we'll use hindsight to poke holes in all his decisions.

It is a foolish man's argument to take a draft pick in the 15-30 range and go "look at all these other guys drafted after him that turned out to be great!"

What about late round steals? If Zetterberg went 210th, do you think the guys picking at 205-209th are idiots for ignoring his obvious talent?
I’m not trying to crucify Yzerman for his picks. I just wanted to point out that blindly trusting ‘The Yzerplan’ when it comes to early picks has no basis in factual history. If you polled Bolts fans they’d agree that his 1st round drafting was probably the biggest chink in his armor. He’s fantastic with trades and seems to manage the cap well and make smart signings and his later round picks have been outstanding. Pointing out his one glaring weakness isn’t hindsight, it’s just pointing out reality. He’s 0/3 in Tampa getting elite/foundational players with top 10 picks. Hopefully Seider breaks that trend.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I’m not trying to crucify Yzerman for his picks. I just wanted to point out that blindly trusting ‘The Yzerplan’ when it comes to early picks has no basis in factual history. If you polled Bolts fans they’d agree that his 1st round drafting was probably the biggest chink in his armor. He’s fantastic with trades and seems to manage the cap well and make smart signings and his later round picks have been outstanding. Pointing out his one glaring weakness isn’t hindsight, it’s just pointing out reality. He’s 0/3 in Tampa getting elite/foundational players with top 10 picks. Hopefully Seider breaks that trend.
When it comes to drafting he’s huge on trusting his scouts. So I’d use Detroit’s recent draft history over Tampa’s.

bigfodee

Jun 22, 2019

You're not pointing out a glaring weakness by saying someone makes bad choices. MOST draft choices down't pan out. Let me hit you over the head with this - the draft is basically a big gamble. You are choosing the SINGLE RISKIEST ASPECT OF being a GM and saying look how he only did average in a crap shoot. Just in part of the crap shoot too.

No one is just blindly trusting Yzerman. They are just trusting him. You're outright calling his drafting awful. You're going "oh he took this guy 28th and the 29th pick was a great players and literally no GM has ever done that before so why are you trusting this guy utterly and completely when he's awful at drafting!!" Also nice job skipping over Vasilevskiy. After all its so common-place for a GM to pluck a Vezina-winning goaltender in the first round, no sense in even bringing up that home-run.

Again, pick another GM and compare their picks. Pick any GM and we'll compare. I'm asking you to pick another GM. We'll see how similar their situations are and if your argument holds any water at all, it'll show everyone what a mistake they are making trusting Yzerman.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Somebody on YouTube made a highlight video of Seider during the scrimmage. For anyone interested:

Hard to tell much from a highlight reel of a development camp scrimmage but its that time of year int he summer I guess lol. Some of those spin moves and stuff made him look fairly dynamic, he definitely looked really good out there

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Appeal to authority is a dangerous thing. "NHL teams dedicate entire staffs, tons of resources and energy into scouting players" to then end up picking

D Erik Gudbranson 3rd
D Dylan McIlrath 10th
D Duncan Siemens 11th
D Griffin Reinhart 4th
D Slater Koekkoek 10th
D Sam Morin 11th
F Michael Dal Colle 5th
D Haydn Fleury 7th

These are just notable top-11 picks from 2010 to 2015 (i.e. long enough in the past to predict with relative certainty where their careers are going). And you'll notice a common theme: 8 out of 9 on that list are defencemen. D-men are hard to get in the NHL, so teams end up reaching for them. And even though they "dedicate entire staffs, tons of resources and energy" into that project, they often miss.

Now, this doesn't mean the scouting staffs and GMs are entirely bad – it's obviously just incredibly difficult to predict the future of teenagers. But, and this is the important thing, you also can't say NHL teams are more trustworthy than public sources only based on the fact that they're NHL teams.

Of course, there are differences between lists, though. As much as I respect anyone who scouts an entire draft class on their own, you can't trust individual lists as much as teams or scouting services. It takes at the very least 5 games (rather 10) to accurately understand a player's skill set and potential. It's impossible to get that live from an entire draft class. If you're only watching video, I'd still say it's impossible but at least more likely. But if you're only watching video, that's another reason to trust the list less than those that have watched the players live.

So as much as I love reading Button's, Pronman's, Wheeler's, and whoever else's lists, I don't trust them because I know they can't possibly have watched the players enough. And most of the ones they did see live in a season were at international tournaments.

But I definitely trust HockeyProspect, Future Considerations, and ISS with their opinions because they all have large staffs around the world that go out and watch the players. And I absolutely do not trust NHL teams more simply based on the fact that they're NHL teams. Whether or not you get to work for an NHL team is like 80% connections, 10% luck and 10% actual scouting skill and knowledge.

Out of those three services, HP had Seider the highest. And, correct me if I'm wrong @Mark Edwards, I believe Mark thinks more like NHL clubs in the sense that he'll say if you want a big, right-shot, two-way defenceman, you have to draft him, and that's why Seider was ranked 10th. But if you're simply going by upside, they all agree that Seider is not a top-10 player and especially not top-6. And considering they actually have scouts that have seen Seider live many times, just like the NHL teams, I think that's extremely valid and it's entirely fair to believe Seider was not a consensus top-6 pick in the NHL either. But, as always, it only takes one team to really like a player and go off the board.
Ah yes, those sites where Heiskanen was ranked 15-30 all season long despite playing +20mins a night in all situations. If they didnt watch a one f***ing minute (Im absolutely 100% certain of this btw, his rankings were based off of international play only) of a top prospect dman in the FEL play, they certainly didnt watch Seider play in the DEL either.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Somebody on YouTube made a highlight video of Seider during the scrimmage. For anyone interested:

I know it's just a scrimmage, and against other kids, but I love the IQ and patience he shows in this. I'm not going to go crazy here, but I'll say it nudges the door open towards me being a big fan of his.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I f***ing love Seider, I was over the moon when the Wings drafted him. I wanted him or Boldy. Both are smart, serious, respectful and underrated. I hope I don't end up being wrong but damn, when I see them in interviews, they seem like the kind of players who just can't fail.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Ah yes, those sites where Heiskanen was ranked 15-30 all season long despite playing +20mins a night in all situations. If they didnt watch a one ****ing minute (Im absolutely 100% certain of this btw, his rankings were based off of international play only) of a top prospect dman in the FEL play, they certainly didnt watch Seider play in the DEL either.

Yeah I lean this way as well. I'm sure more people got there eyes on Heiskanen in his draft year than Seider though. If Seider played in the WJC instead of the second tier, and could be compared to other draft prospects there I think some of these sites would've seen him more obviously and evaluated him. But likeI said, Pronman is one of the better prospect guys and he hasnt even seen Stutzle once who is a huge, high end prospect for next draft who plays in Mannheim. How many times do you think he watched Seider? Or how many times do you think he saw him live?

Now how many times do these even lower tier publications watch him? Especially when you consider he missed a good chunk hurt and really developed and got better as the season went on. If they watched him in the first half of the season or even just in the World juior B tourney, they dont have a gauge on his game.

Now with that being said, neither do I so he could turn out bad. But I dont think people should be saying too much either way on this pick for a little while. No one has hardly watched him play and the wing brass saw him play a tonne. They know a lot more about him than anyone on here or that publishes draft rankings for a website

Reactions: Ratatoskr

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Ah yes, those sites where Heiskanen was ranked 15-30 all season long despite playing +20mins a night in all situations. If they didnt watch a one ****ing minute (Im absolutely 100% certain of this btw, his rankings were based off of international play only) of a top prospect dman in the FEL play, they certainly didnt watch Seider play in the DEL either.

Yeah I lean this way as well. I'm sure more people got there eyes on Heiskanen in his draft year than Seider though. If Seider played in the WJC instead of the second tier, and could be compared to other draft prospects there I think some of these sites would've seen him more obviously and evaluated him. But likeI said, Pronman is one of the better prospect guys and he hasnt even seen Stutzle once who is a huge, high end prospect for next draft who plays in Mannheim. How many times do you think he watched Seider? Or how many times do you think he saw him live?

Now how many times do these even lower tier publications watch him? Especially when you consider he missed a good chunk hurt and really developed and got better as the season went on. If they watched him in the first half of the season or even just in the World juior B tourney, they dont have a gauge on his game.

Now with that being said, neither do I so he could turn out bad. But I dont think people should be saying too much either way on this pick for a little while. No one has hardly watched him play and the wing brass saw him play a tonne. They know a lot more about him than anyone on here or that publishes draft rankings for a website

I don’t know about Heiskanen, but at least FC had a German scout who’s now with HP who’s been watching Seider since 2016-17.

It’s really not like they’ve never seen him play. FC also had him in the first round in their preliminary rankings.

I guess we can all trust who we want, but I certainly trust a scouting service that I know has had eyes on Seider for a long time. Much more so than a guy like Pronman OR Button or Wheeler who have no support and only watch video and international tournaments (at least when it comes to Europe).

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

He also put together this one.

Again, nothing overly exciting, but considering video is so scarce it's something. Again, I like how it shows off his hockey IQ. It's a slower paced scrimmage but seems like he'd reading the play well and just seeing things other people don't

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I don’t know about Heiskanen, but at least FC had a German scout who’s now with HP who’s been watching Seider since 2016-17.

It’s really not like they’ve never seen him play. FC also had him in the first round in their preliminary rankings.

I guess we can all trust who we want, but I certainly trust a scouting service that I know has had eyes on Seider for a long time. Much more so than a guy like Pronman OR Button or Wheeler who have no support and only watch video and international tournaments (at least when it comes to Europe).

FC also got plenty of players wrong in their preliminary rankings. Everyone will.

I do think rankings are generally way less accurate when it comes to Europeans compared to NA players. Especially this year for some reason. Basically all European prospects in the 1st round went higher than expected. It's a very, very difficult task comparing a player from say the SHL to someone playing junior hockey. The easy way to solve that is just to look at someone else's ranking and copy it which forms a "consensus" that really doesn't exist among NHL teams.

Last edited:

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

For the players i am familiar with on the Rangers:

Namestnikov,
for #27 OA, is a +30-point player. decent value for one of the last picks in the 1st. Thats exceeds the slot value https://assets3.sportsnet.ca/wp-con...net.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/chart22.jpg

DeAngelo just had a solid season at age 23, the first full season of his career, and put up 0.5ppg as a defensemen. Again. that exceeds slot value (19th)and he looks to still be improving.

Howden, a 21 year old true rookie, put up 23 points on a bad lotto team. He is already met slot value (27th), and i'm sure his next season will be an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad