RD Mitchell Miller - HK 32 Liptovsky Mikulas, Slovakia (2020, 111th, ARI rights renounced; signed by BOS, released) - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Pretty sure it's a lot less, "Nobody's a saint", and a lot more "Let's not write somebody's entire life off for some horrible, stupid shit he did in his early teens."

If there's a continuation of his behavior into his adult years? Sure, f*** him.
I’m not sure still playing hockey professionally is “writing off somebody’s life entirely”.

It’s facing consequences for your actions. If the consequence is simply, you can’t make millions of dollars playing hockey at the highest level but can still make a ton of money playing in lower levels… I think he’ll survive.

Reactions: Realgud

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yup. I wasn't a perfect kid, but I never did anything close to this. I would wager 99% of this forum even haven't done what he did.
Completely disagree.

Have you ever done the following:

1. Used a racial/ethnic slur in any context (public, private, doesn’t matter)
2. Gotten arrested
3. Violated the law without getting arrested
4. Bullied someone at an older age than he was (if I recall, he was 13)
5. Lied in a major way to help your life (job application, college application, cheated on a partner, cheated on a test)

I would consider all of things to be morally worse than bullying a kid at school at the age of 13. He’s a public figure. You aren’t. That’s the difference.

If you are telling me you’ve never done any of those things, you have better morals than most.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Completely disagree.

2. Gotten arrested
5. Lied in a major way to help your life (job application, college application, cheated on a partner, cheated on a test)

I would consider all of things to be morally worse than bullying a kid at school at the age of 13. He’s a public figure. You aren’t. That’s the difference.

If you are telling me you’ve never done any of those things, you have better morals than most.

Congratulations on your self-appointment as society's moral compass.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Tearing it up in Slovakia right now, any way nhl teams take a chance on him at some point?
Here is the thing. The Slovakian league is viewed by some as just being a step up from the British Elite league.. It is not one of the top leagues in Europe. IF you look at the top 10 scorers over the past 5 years and then randomly see where the players went.

Last edited:
Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Here is the thing. The Slovakian league is viewed by some as just being a step up from the British Elite league by some. It is not one of the top leagues in Europe. IF you look at the top 10 scorers over the past 5 years and then randomly see where the players went.
I literally posted the leading scorers a page ago and pointed that out. The reply was that they don't know what I'm trying to say. So I hope your post helps.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Completely disagree.

2. Gotten arrested

that one there is a slippery slope--better wording is convicted. I was arrested for something but never convicted( and no I did not do it)

have you ever jay walked? that is breaking the law and in some cities that is taken seriously and if they catch--they do arrest ya.

so those 2 questions are too ambiguous and need better defintion

Reactions: MXD and Talik Sanis

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Here is the thing. The Slovakian league is viewed by some as just being a step up from the British Elite league by some. It is not one of the top leagues in Europe. IF you look at the top 10 scorers over the past 5 years and then randomly see where the players went.

HAHAHHAHA Olivier Archambault is tied with Miller for the scoring lead in that league.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

Here are the top scorers in the league.. I will be surprised if more than 4 ever play 1 NHL game.
He is beating the other top scoring defender by 7 points and is leading the league as a defenseman. Most of these guys at the top are career AHLers in the prime of their career. I am not arguing that he is an emerging star, but this is a very good sign of a very talented young player. He should be playing in a better league like the KHL or something

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Slovak League is one of the big 7 for purposes of AHL veteran player rule. That’s probably an outdated inclusion at this point, but it’s still semi-impressive to be doing so well at a young age. I definitely think a KHL team will give him a shot.

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He is beating the other top scoring defender by 7 points and is leading the league as a defenseman. Most of these guys at the top are career AHLers in the prime of their career. I am not arguing that he is an emerging star, but this is a very good sign of a very talented young player. He should be playing in a better league like the KHL or something
Eh, the guy tied with Miller in scoring couldn't cut it at the AHL (and he wasn't close either).

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I’m not sure still playing hockey professionally is “writing off somebody’s life entirely”.

It’s facing consequences for your actions. If the consequence is simply, you can’t make millions of dollars playing hockey at the highest level but can still make a ton of money playing in lower levels… I think he’ll survive.
I’m not sure how much you think those lower Euro leagues pay but if you think 20-30k a year is a “ton of money” then you have zero concept of reality or haven’t had to raise kids. (My parents probably payed Mitchell millers salary on myself and brothers hockey each season) to play AAA in Ontario costs about 12k a year.

Reactions: Just Linda

IWillMakeTheNHL

May 13, 2023
I literally posted the leading scorers a page ago and pointed that out. The reply was that they don't know what I'm trying to say. So I hope your post helps.
You said “I will be surprised if more than 4 play an nhl game” and miller is at the top but that doesn’t support you thinking he won’t play in the nhl

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
that one there is a slippery slope--better wording is convicted. I was arrested for something but never convicted( and no I did not do it)

have you ever jay walked? that is breaking the law and in some cities that is taken seriously and if they catch--they do arrest ya.

so those 2 questions are too ambiguous and need better defintion
Sure, I generally agree. We could define it out more precisely, but we’re also having a theoretical discussion on a message board.

I think the point is most people have done something that is morally equivalent to what he did.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Absolutely he should... This is not a road to the NHL. NLA or KHL will at least show what he's got. Pay a lot more too.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Sure, I generally agree. We could define it out more precisely, but we’re also having a theoretical discussion on a message board.

I think the point is most people have done something that is morally equivalent to what he did.

Well--I am a dead end kid and I have not done the things he has done. Nothing close to what he did

52 years old and I have never used the N word and I was bullied as a kid where one kid organized other kids to torment me

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I don't think what he did to that kid is close to normal or something you see in many schools.

I do have to say that the age at which the crimes were committed are something that should be talked about more. These were pre-high school events. This kid was dishing out racial slurs at snack-time. In your pre-pubescent years, most of your personality is uncontrollable and is an adaptation of your peers and parents. It looks to me like he was a really bad bully in elementary school that got testerone and continued his terrible antics for a couple years. I also have no idea what he is like now or if the apology he gave was sincere. He could be a bad human, but that isn't something most people can definitively know.

Reactions: hidek91

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I’m not sure how much you think those lower Euro leagues pay but if you think 20-30k a year is a “ton of money” then you have zero concept of reality or haven’t had to raise kids. (My parents probably payed Mitchell millers salary on myself and brothers hockey each season) to play AAA in Ontario costs about 12k a year.
1. He’s not going to stay in the Slovak league at this production rate. Will clearly get a job in the KHL or similar.

2. The high end of the Slovak league is $64k+

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Eh, the guy tied with Miller in scoring couldn't cut it at the AHL (and he wasn't close either).
Scored a lot in the ECHL, and is scoring a lot in the Slovak league, both of which are lesser leagues than the AHL. If he could score a lot in the AHL, he'd be scoring a lot in the AHL. That's just how it goes.

Reactions: MXD

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You mean the 30 year old winger who didn't just sit out an entire year of pro hockey?
The fact someone else may or not have sit out a year of pro hockey doesn't change much to the fact that Olivier Archambault (a former 1st OA in the Q Entry Draft FWIW) couldn't quite cut it at the AHL level, AND, that he's co-leading that league in scoring (best PPG).

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well--I am a dead end kid and I have not done the things he has done. Nothing close to what he did

52 years old and I have never used the N word and I was bullied as a kid where one kid organized other kids to torment me
Good for you then, seriously. Most people, I think they probably have had a moral breach at the same level like he did.

• Wow
Reactions: Lavar Ball

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The fact someone else may or not have sit out a year of pro hockey doesn't change much to the fact that Olivier Archambault (a former 1st OA in the Q Entry Draft FWIW) couldn't quite cut it at the AHL level, AND, that he's co-leading that league in scoring (best PPG).
And it tells you what about Miller?

Yes, Slovak league isn't the strongest, that's nothing new. Miller is head and shoulders above it though at 21 after missing a full season the year before completely.

You can say Archambault couldn't cut the AHL, I can say Regenda made the Ducks roster out of the camp last year after moving from Slovakia. Two can play this game so why don't we just focus on the Miller who happens to be equally non-comparable to either of those?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
And it tells you what about Miller?

Yes, Slovak league isn't the strongest, that's nothing new. Miller is head and shoulders above it though at 21 after missing a full season the year before completely.

You can say Archambault couldn't cut the AHL, I can say Regenda made the Ducks roster out of the camp last year after moving from Slovakia. Two can play this game so why don't we just focus on the Miller who happens to be equally non-comparable to either of those
Because somebody asked the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany