RD Mitchell Miller - HK 32 Liptovsky Mikulas, Slovakia (2020, 111th, ARI rights renounced; signed by BOS, released) - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The point isn't about hockey, per se. It's more a critique on your society, which leads back to hockey.

The ONLY reason Miller isn't signed is for PR reasons. The recent NHL sexual abuse scandels are proof. The league didn't give a shit until public backlash forced them to.
Just like the NBA, NFL and the rest, the NHL cares only about $. As such it caters to the wishes of society (its customers).

So why the double standard? Is it because this is a white on black crime? I don't know.

To make it clear, Miller deserves everything he's getting. But it is an interesting food for thought.
What're you trying to get at? There's no use in tiptoeing around your point.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
The point isn't about hockey, per se. It's more a critique on your society, which leads back to hockey.

The ONLY reason Miller isn't signed is for PR reasons. The recent NHL sexual abuse scandels are proof. The league didn't give a shit until public backlash forced them to.
Just like the NBA, NFL and the rest, the NHL cares only about $. As such it caters to the wishes of society (its customers).

So why the double standard? Is it because this is a white on black crime? I don't know.

To make it clear, Miller deserves everything he's getting. But it is an interesting food for thought.
There’s no interest food for thought at all. The NFL is getting just as much shit from people for letting Watson play. The NFL simply happens to be fine with doing the wrong thing. I’m not sure what is the confusion.

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
What're you trying to get at? There's no use in tiptoeing around your point.
I believe that his point is that, in his view, no one in the league actually cares about Miller's actions, or his lack of genuine repentance, because it remains an "old boys' club" that defends toxic and criminal behaviors of the same magnitude and even worse. They have revoked his contract, and punished him, only because they are concerned with optics. If no one had spoken out, if a media firestorm hadn't been ignited, they would have let it pass by without complaint, again, because they don't actually care.

I thought that his point was rather clear.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
So because Deshaun Watson can play (even though he shouldn't be able to play), another player who shouldn't play should be able to play?

The poster has been called out before and has been told that there is plenty of outrage regarding Deshaun Watson (they also brought up Kyrie Irving). All one needs to do to is turn on ESPN for 5 minutes (with the Irving fiasco being recent) or social media to find the outrage that this person somehow cannot find.

They've confused themselves and think that because these players aren't permanently banned from their league, that there just isn't any moral or public outrage? Really dumb and confusing take and it is very obviously not how this stuff works. The reality is that these other dudes are established stars with big contracts/money behind them which makes it much harder (or near impossible) to void or get rid of. You also have the players association in each league, which will fight for their members almost regardless of what they've done. Give it time though, if Irving doesn't bend the knee to the NBA, it isn't off the table that he becomes too toxic to stay in the league once his contract expires.

Compare this to a young player in Miller who hasn't had a shot or real contract in the league and is much easier to gatekeep, and its very obvious why there's a difference between Miller and Watson.

They've been engaging in nonsense whatboutism and distracting, incoherent tangents. They're either arguing in bad faith, or can't comprehend simple concepts.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I believe that his point is that, in his view, no one in the league actually cares about Miller's actions, or his lack of genuine repentance, because it remains an "old boys' club" that defends toxic and criminal behaviors of the same magnitude and even worse. They have revoked his contract, and punished him, only because they are concerned with optics. If no one had spoken out, if a media firestorm hadn't been ignited, they would have let it pass by without complaint, again, because they don't actually care.

I thought that his point was rather clear.

I agree with everything in this post except for the NHL ' because they don't actually care." part.

To me they are kind of indifferent and looking at Miller in hockey terms and not morally outraged but that doesn't really mean what you mentioned IMO but who knows.

Frankly I have stated a couple of times here that I hope to one day look at this thread and see some actual real hockey news on this prospect but given the current climate that seems impossible.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
A5565B61-38A2-437D-8510-2FB7D3C5791C.jpeg

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
Absolutely love this from Wayne Simmonds but why did it take someone unrelated to the incident like Simmonds to do something like this... why couldn't one of the players from the teams involved do something like this too? Patrice Bergeron is seen as a demi-god here and I feel like he could have taken the time to do something like this. I think I know the answer but this is just unfortunate that no one else took the time to make Isaiah feel welcomed. This is how you grow the sport in a good way imo. Always been a fan of Simmonds and this just reinforces my opinion about him.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Absolutely love this from Wayne Simmonds but why did it take someone unrelated to the incident like Simmonds to do something like this... why couldn't one of the players from the teams involved do something like this too? Patrice Bergeron is seen as a demi-god here and I feel like he could have taken the time to do something like this. I think I know the answer but this is just unfortunate that no one else took the time to make Isaiah feel welcomed. This is how you grow the sport in a good way imo. Always been a fan of Simmonds and this just reinforces my opinion about him.
Earlier in this thread someone said he moved to Detroit. Leafs are in Detroit right now playing. I think that had something to do with it too.

Simmonds actually faced some shit racism himself ... At a London knights game a banana was tossed at him. Then he played in the Czech extraliger with a flyer friend during a lockout... Czech fans tossed bananas and made monkey sounds at him. Both incidents were so embarassing. Maybe Wayne is a great guy to hang with and talk about these things.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Good for Simmonds to be so aware of the plight of the his young mentally handicapped person. Simmonds is 100% class.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Nice to see something positive by a player. Will hopefully help remove the sting a little, when Isiah thinks about hockey players.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Bergeron was the guy then it would stir up the whole signing incident again, with comparisons made between management and Bergeron. In other words, it would stir up shit, which would no nothing for the victim, Isiah. Throw in that Simmonds probably has more credibility/relatability with Isiah because of his skin color, and overall is a veteran guy with a good rep... he's a natural to do this.

Simmonds was the right guy to get this done.:thumbu:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
is Bitchell playing anywhere this season?

Well, if he wants to play anywhere professionally or semi-professionally, he'd have to terminate his deal.

Ultimately, whether he wants to have a career or prefers a handout is up to him.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
oh man this is so awesome. good to finally see something good in this thread other than Mitchell Miller's hockey career ending again.
hope he enjoyed the game last night. Wonder if this makes him abit of a Leafs fan.
love these feel good stories

Well, if he wants to play anywhere professionally or semi-professionally, he'd have to terminate his deal.

Ultimately, whether he wants to have a career or prefers a handout is up to him.
im going to assume he chills out. guy couldn't even apologize properly to salvage or help his hockey career. guy's a donut

Reactions: shadow1

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
  • Wow
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad