RD Mitchell Miller - HK 32 Liptovsky Mikulas, Slovakia (2020, 111th, ARI rights renounced; signed by BOS, released) - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhataKnight

The KnightMan Cometh!
Jan 6, 2023
I think what he's saying is pretty damn clear and factual.

Society cares more about racism than they do about domestic violence
Society is full of it on both, officially.

The nasty twist in this is that SA is still within the orbit of “lad culture.”

The Miller stuff less so, but still enough that a team across the pond playing custodian doesn’t drum up the news & social media, which then makes the matter of that kid playing pro-hockey an NHL matter in a closed loop.

Notable that one guy involved in the Hockey Canada scandal did wind up in Europe already, but we’ll see what happens on a Saturday morning at 2:15 when that report goes public.

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Good for Miller to continue his hockey craft somewhere else.

I don’t even remember what his original scouting report was.. that’s how twisted his thread has become

Guess this means that if he wants to play in the NHL he will have to use this opportunity to show that's he's learned his lesson. As in, he's learned how to be good enough at hockey so that he is worth the headache and negative fanfare that could affect a team's bottom line the wrong way

Dude.. it’s been years, let it go

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I think what he's saying is pretty damn clear and factual.

Society cares more about racism than they do about domestic violence
DeAngelo plays in the NHL. Niederreiter was accused of racial slurs and plays.

The problem right now is Mitch Miller and his representatives said he apologized to the young man he bullied and harassed and that he was doing work to be a better person, but turns out that's all a lie.

But, yes in most cases the general public cares more about you being racist than if you SA someone.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Guess this means that if he wants to play in the NHL he will have to use this opportunity to show that's he's learned his lesson. As in, he's learned how to be good enough at hockey so that he is worth the headache and negative fanfare that could affect a team's bottom line the wrong way

He's never coming back.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
the most spiteful people about this kid better be saints in their own lives, but i'm willing to bet almost none are even close. i don't know anything about this kid personally other than the reason he's become infamous, but we aren't living in colonial mass...he shouldn't be forced to wear a scarlet letter.

character matters in life, and if he's still a pos off the ice, yea he should be banished. but people grow and mature, and there's no reason he shouldn't be given the opportunity to demonstrate the same. that doesn't mean he needs to demonstrate it to all the holier than thou's on their soapbox saying he hasn't done enough because they haven't personally seen it. just because it's not in a news story doesn't mean he hasn't grown and changed. he only needs to demonstrate it to those around him and know him personally. if he has grown into a genuinely good person, i hope there's a franchise out there with the spine to tell all the people casting stones - solely to feel better about themselves - to get fkd and gives the kid an opportunity.

Reactions: KOS21

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
the most spiteful people about this kid better be saints in their own lives, but i'm willing to bet almost none are even close. i don't know anything about this kid personally other than the reason he's become infamous, but we aren't living in colonial mass...he shouldn't be forced to wear a scarlet letter.

character matters in life, and if he's still a pos off the ice, yea he should be banished. but people grow and mature, and there's no reason he shouldn't be given the opportunity to demonstrate the same. that doesn't mean he needs to demonstrate it to all the holier than thou's on their soapbox saying he hasn't done enough because they haven't personally seen it. just because it's not in a news story doesn't mean he hasn't grown and changed. he only needs to demonstrate it to those around him and know him personally. if he has grown into a genuinely good person, i hope there's a franchise out there with the spine to tell all the people casting stones - solely to feel better about themselves - to get fkd and gives the kid an opportunity.
It's worth remembering the details of what Miller did. For years he beat up his developmentally disabled black classmate, would regularly call him "ni**er" and "brownie", would tell him to "go pick cotton", forced him to eat candy wiped in a urinal, spit in his face, etc. It was serious enough that he was taken to juvenile court and convicted of assault. The magistrate in the case said he felt Miller showed no remorse, was only sorry for himself that he got caught. The mother of the kid he bullied said the same - in fact there were two bullies, she forgave the other one and felt he showed genuine remorse, but felt Miller showed no remorse. The kid he bullied felt the same way, too.

This isn't minor stuff, it's pretty extreme, legit hate crimes. He was young when he did this stuff, and is still only 21, I do think there's a chance he can grow from this, show real remorse, become a better person and make up for his past actions. I am for second chances, but you have to legitimately earn them, and the more atrocious your actions, the more you have to do to earn forgiveness. So far, the opinion of basically everyone who matters (bullied kid, family of the bullied kid, court magistrate) has been that he's shown no remorse. What he did, for years, was pretty horrendous, he's gonna need to go very, very far to make up for it, and I've seen no indication of that from him, so far.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017

Miller was bullying a mentally deficient kid. He did terrible things to that boy over several years. Yes, he was 14-16. How many normal people at that age will do the things Miller did to anyone, but especially to a mentally deficient person? Then, when given opportunity to show remorse he isn’t able to. He claims he’s the victim. That’s sick.
Sure, we all have skeletons in our closets, but normal people develop empathy and feel remorse. Miller clearly isn’t empathetic or remorseful. That’s sociopathic.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

That is some elite low-key and lower-case virtue signalling.

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
It's hard to believe that people will go to bat for this guy. Honestly, I obviously understand that we all have our flaws but when I see people saying shit like "nobody's a saint" it makes me wonder what kind of horrible stuff they've done to people if they're comparing to Mitchell Miller.

Reactions: Realgud

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto
Yeh, this isn't some lapse in judgment type stuff like Briere's kid.

This happened for 2-3 years and he never showed any remorse for it. Until he actually shows remorse and that he somehow bettered him self; I doubt he'll ever have a career in NA.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Tearing it up in Slovakia right now, any way nhl teams take a chance on him at some point?

Given the current political... nuances, let's call it this way... I doubt he'll be in the NHL any time soon. I hope an NL, SHL or KHL team will sign the dude for next season (or even get him for this one), just for fun.

Last edited:

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
It's hard to believe that people will go to bat for this guy. Honestly, I obviously understand that we all have our flaws but when I see people saying shit like "nobody's a saint" it makes me wonder what kind of horrible stuff they've done to people if they're comparing to Mitchell Miller.
Pretty sure it's a lot less, "Nobody's a saint", and a lot more "Let's not write somebody's entire life off for some horrible, stupid shit he did in his early teens."

If there's a continuation of his behavior into his adult years? Sure, f*** him.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Given the current political... nuances, let's call it this way... I doubt he'll be in the NHL any time soon. I hope an NL, SHL or KHL team will sign the dude for next season (or even get him for this one), just for fun.
If he is good enough he might eventually find his way to the NHL but I doubt it in the current environment and the NHL is so wishy-washy just look at the pride tape and the actual leadership Dermott brought to the table.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
It's worth remembering the details of what Miller did. For years he beat up his developmentally disabled black classmate, would regularly call him "ni**er" and "brownie", would tell him to "go pick cotton", forced him to eat candy wiped in a urinal, spit in his face, etc. It was serious enough that he was taken to juvenile court and convicted of assault. The magistrate in the case said he felt Miller showed no remorse, was only sorry for himself that he got caught. The mother of the kid he bullied said the same - in fact there were two bullies, she forgave the other one and felt he showed genuine remorse, but felt Miller showed no remorse. The kid he bullied felt the same way, too.

This isn't minor stuff, it's pretty extreme, legit hate crimes. He was young when he did this stuff, and is still only 21, I do think there's a chance he can grow from this, show real remorse, become a better person and make up for his past actions. I am for second chances, but you have to legitimately earn them, and the more atrocious your actions, the more you have to do to earn forgiveness. So far, the opinion of basically everyone who matters (bullied kid, family of the bullied kid, court magistrate) has been that he's shown no remorse. What he did, for years, was pretty horrendous, he's gonna need to go very, very far to make up for it, and I've seen no indication of that from him, so far.
Yup. I wasn't a perfect kid, but I never did anything close to this. I would wager 99% of this forum even haven't done what he did.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
An NHL team would probably take the heat if he was an elite level player, but otherwise he’s not going to be worth the very negative PR.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
An NHL team would probably take the heat if he was an elite level player, but otherwise he’s not going to be worth the very negative PR.
Yeah, this is spot on why he will never play in the NHL. Why risk the backlash on a middle pairing dman. If he is an all star caliber player its a different story

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
If this kid gets to the KHL and has some absurd stat-line like 70 points in 50 KHL games, you think a team will be allowed to get him? The Hawks certainly won't because of the Bowman stuff and I think Arizona and Boston aren't allowed to.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
DeAngelo plays in the NHL. Niederreiter was accused of racial slurs and plays.

The problem right now is Mitch Miller and his representatives said he apologized to the young man he bullied and harassed and that he was doing work to be a better person, but turns out that's all a lie.

But, yes in most cases the general public cares more about you being racist than if you SA someone.
That last line is not true.

Reactions: cg98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad