RD Kyle Wood (2014, 84th, COL; 2016 trade, ARZ)

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Dineen actually has to play defence now with his security blanket gone. Last year Dineen could do whatever he wanted because he knew Wood was back there to bail him out.

Yes....and yes. His partner has been Thilander for the majority of the year, who is still figuring the ins and outs of the North American ice. I will say I haven't seen a ton of games this season but from what I've seen, the breakouts have been a struggle due to a less-than-stellar forward group.

No doubt Wood had a positive effect on him, but there's still some evident talent.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
Sakic gonna Sakic. Worst GM in the league.

Bottom 5 without any doubt, his trade and free agent history is painful to look at. Too bad the Avs are stuck with him as he probably can be the GM for as long as he wants because he is Joe Sakic, who cares about results.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
its always fun to see extremely good "unknown" type prospects do extremely well. Its funny to see how little he is talked about on HFBOARDS.

Had another goal last night and has 21 points in 21 games. There are only a few rookies averaging a point a game in the AHL and he is one of them while playing defense

I wonder if he will get some chances in the NHL this season to reward his play and provide more offense for the Yotes

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Not going to happen unless Stone gets traded or DeAngelo starts to suck.

or injuries too or heck maybe some healthy scratches

Id be curious to see how he does if they can get him up a couple times for a game here or there, but also am happy to see him play a full AHL season and keep doing what hes doing and then maybe next season get him in some games

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
its always fun to see extremely good "unknown" type prospects do extremely well. Its funny to see how little he is talked about on HFBOARDS.

Had another goal last night and has 21 points in 21 games. There are only a few rookies averaging a point a game in the AHL and he is one of them while playing defense

I wonder if he will get some chances in the NHL this season to reward his play and provide more offense for the Yotes

He was an Avs prospect, it's not surprising he got no hype.

I'm betting Wood will see NHL time this year.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie

Super impressive, great size and a right shot to boot....man a very nice piece. 100 percent correct on lack of talk/HF hype.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
Sakic said that he might have not even signed Wood to an ELC. What an embarrassing statement that was.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Playing like he took Sakic's comments personally.

Had no real expectations with his acquisition but he's working with Dawn Braid who seems to have helped his hips and stride, along with a strong program down in Tucson thanks to Mark Lamb.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Honest question for those that have watched his development.... has he done a complete 180 with his style of play or something? Its shocking to me that he was a mid round pick, then most likely not signed by originally drafted team and then pretty much handed to the Yotes in the Boedker deal.

Now in his rookie AHL season so far he has....

-24 points in 22 games
-1st on his team in points
-2nd in AHL dmen scoring
-3rd in rookie scoring

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Honest question for those that have watched his development.... has he done a complete 180 with his style of play or something? Its shocking to me that he was a mid round pick, then most likely not signed by originally drafted team and then pretty much handed to the Yotes in the Boedker deal.

-24 points in 22 games
-2nd in AHL dmen scoring
-3rd in rookie scoring

He was injured most of his draft season which is why he wasn't a high pick. If it wasn't for him coming back and having a good playoffs he may have been a 5th/6th rounder.

His development after he was drafted was fun to watch but his skating was poor. His skating went from atrocious to still pretty bad over those years. Based on what I read it seems like he's taken enormous strides (pun definitely intended) in that area of his game this season but I haven't watched a game of his since he was an Avs prospect.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I watched a ton of his games in North Bay, it was clear he was a good prospect. He was an absolute weapon, especially on the PP. I saw that shot live and in person, it is something special. I recall he had a very good playoffs last year too. He was a horse defensively for NB and played a ton of minutes in a very good defensive system. Now I didn't think it would translate this quick to the pro game but with the offensive gifts this guy has it's not a shock either.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

-24 points in 22 games
-2nd in AHL dmen scoring
-3rd in rookie scoring

No he still plays the same way but his skating has come a long way. He was a bad skater in his draft year and missed time to injury so that's why he was a mid pick. Once he was drafted he started putting in a lot more work off the ice to get better and it's showing. His skating has improved every year and him having a Weber caliber slapper doesn't hurt. Over the summer he's improved the small things so much as the 2 games I watched vs the Rampage he was always in the right position and made the correct read. It also helps his offence that he doesn't have a partner that just does whatever they want but actually benefits Wood's game as well. As for the not signing part that was just Sakic's propaganda to the fans who don't follow prospects to save face on the trade.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I'm still bummed he's not on the rampage right now, but I wouldn't rush him into the NHL. His skating, intensity, and defensive work still are quite far off from NHL caliber. So the yotes should continue to sit on him & let him percolate at the appropriate level; next year he's likely to be ready for a late season look.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
3 more assists tonight for 29p in 24 games played. Good for top 10 in the AHL among all players. Not bad for a rookie D.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
3 more assists tonight for 29p in 24 games played. Good for top 10 in the AHL among all players. Not bad for a rookie D.

Looks like it got revised to 2 points.

Tied for 4th in AHL PPG for players who have played 20 or more games

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
These are some ridiculous offensive numbers for a rookie dman. How is his defensive play and physical play? Dude is massive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad