RD Kyle Wood (2014, 84th, COL; 2016 trade, ARZ)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The Avs do not have a single RHD in their AHL system and currently are regularly dressing two guys there who came in on PTOs, my ass they weren't sure about signing him. It's was all BS. They were so desperate to make the playoffs that's what they did.

I'm glad to see Wood doing well, I watched him a lot in juniors and know what kind of upside he brings.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Sakic only said they weren't sure they were going to sign him to save face as most avs fans have no clue what a prospect is and to try and justify the trade(which was idiotic). I lost all respect for Joe when he did that and cant wait until he steps down/is fired. Wood's shot is a thing to behold. Absolute cannon from the point

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Sakic only said they weren't sure they were going to sign him to save face as most avs fans have no clue what a prospect is and to try and justify the trade(which was idiotic). I lost all respect for Joe when he did that and cant wait until he steps down/is fired. Wood's shot is a thing to behold. Absolute cannon from the point

Must have had very little respect to begin with for one of the classiest captains to ever lace them up.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Must have had very little respect to begin with for one of the classiest captains to ever lace them up.

With Sakic(and Roy) as long as they are employed by the organization in the FO I disregard what respect I had(and still have) for them as players. What they did as players is completely irrelevant to what they do as a GM/coach.

I loved Sakic as a player but I hate him as a GM. Once he's out of the FO then he'll go back to being the legendary player I grew up adoring.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
There were no Avs fans trying to convince Yote fans that the Avs were going to let him walk. Everyone knew that was simply a line by Sakic to make fans more ok with what they gave up.

As for Wood himself, there were a lot of Avalanche fans who were (and still are) in love with Wood. Some thought he would become the next Parayko. Some thought he would become a solid top 4 guy. Some thought he was a long shot to become a full time NHL'er because of his skating but still were aware of the high ceiling (ME), and some thought he was a middle of the pack prospect with solid bottom pairing NHL potential. The fact is, even the least hopeful Avalanche fans thought this guy would amount to something positive. Not one ever believed he would not be signed.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I don't know anything about the guy, but its funny cause when I see young dmen that put up huge points on the back end, I always just assume they are average size/smaller sized players. I was shocked to see on the Tucson website that he is actually 6'5 235.

Judging by his season in the AHL so far, who is a good NHL comparison?

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I don't know anything about the guy, but its funny cause when I see young dmen that put up huge points on the back end, I always just assume they are average size/smaller sized players. I was shocked to see on the Tucson website that he is actually 6'5 235.

Judging by his season in the AHL so far, who is a good NHL comparison?

Probably Cody Franson, but hopefully the Franson that played for the Leafs.

Followed him while he was in North Bay, always thought he had a good chance to make it but was held back by injuries.

Yotes fans, do you think he gets a call up sometime this year?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yote fans were told that Wood wasn't even worth signing after we dealt for him :)

He just needs to learn to be a pro, get stronger, improve skating, and most importantly get used to speed of pro game. AZ currently has about 8 first or second year players in lineup including DeAngelo and Chychrun. With injuries there will come opportunity. I/ when Stone is moved that might free up a spot in rotation.

Well that's just not true. I said that Sakic said he wasn't planning on signing on him, but like most of avs fans, I thought that would've been an idiotic decision if it wasn't pure spin. And I'm not the only avs fan who's still pissed we made that trade.

As for Wood's weaknesses: his skating is still a work in progress (though it has steadily improved), he plays a very soft game (especially for someone with his frame), and those work ethic questions still hang over him. All that said, he's still an exciting prospect who can carve an NHL career out for himself, a la Franson, even if he never develops a mean streak, his skating doesn't progress too much further, and he never becomes ROR off the ice.

Weast

May 16, 2011
What a ****** trade by Sakic and co. Even at the time it was obvious that it was a hail mary to make the playoffs. Not sure we were going to resign him my ass.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
He had a great game last night. It's pretty impressive how much he improved over the summer coming from North Bay to Tucson. He always gave his d partner and easy outlet and got the puck out of his zone extremely quick. The small things in his game have improved so much and don't think it'll be that long until he sees NHL time. Had 1G in the game last night and could've easily had a couple assists if the puck bounced in Tucsons favour. He's still at a PPG with 6G+13A in 19 games

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
Looks like a player. Of course Joe Sakic thought it was best to trade Wood and a 2nd for 18 regular season games of Bodker because thats what rebuilding teams do.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
He had a great game last night. It's pretty impressive how much he improved over the summer coming from North Bay to Tucson. He always gave his d partner and easy outlet and got the puck out of his zone extremely quick. The small things in his game have improved so much and don't think it'll be that long until he sees NHL time. Had 1G in the game last night and could've easily had a couple assists if the puck bounced in Tucsons favour. He's still at a PPG with 6G+13A in 19 games

Its just cruel to watch that.

The Avs management in a nutshell over the last decade...

Oh well. I really hope he does not turn into a top pairing guy.

I really like the kid but that would just be too much to handle with our defensive woes.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

I cant believe such a massive guy can move like that.. that was pretty damn impressive

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Looks like his partner of last season Dineen is struggling quite a bit without him. But hey, Arizona owns both of them so maybe they'll be reunited in the future :P.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Looks like his partner of last season Dineen is struggling quite a bit without him. But hey, Arizona owns both of them so maybe they'll be reunited in the future :P.

The team's not anywhere near as good as last year's.

No Mike Amadio either.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
The team's not anywhere near as good as last year's.

No Mike Amadio either.

Yeah but I still didnt expect to see that much of a drop off. Players can still put up numbers on bad teams. With Wood's success in the AHL it shows that he may have been helping out Dineen's production quite a bit.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Yeah but I still didnt expect to see that much of a drop off. Players can still put up numbers on bad teams. With Wood's success in the AHL it shows that he may have been helping out Dineen's production quite a bit.

Dineen actually has to play defence now with his security blanket gone. Last year Dineen could do whatever he wanted because he knew Wood was back there to bail him out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad