RD Kyle Wood (2014, 84th, COL; 2016 trade, ARZ)

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Kyle Wood - excerpts from War Room profile at THW:

"Hashtag: #MrSecurityBlanket
Team: #3, North Bay, OHL
Position: Defense
Shoots: Right
Height: 6’5
Weight: 229 lb.
Born: Waterloo, ON, 4-May-96
Twitter: @KyleWood_3

Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on Kyle Wood:

Mr. Security Blanket – Kyle possesses that size and physicality that gives his teammates, his goalie and his coaches that warm feeling of security like the security blanket we all like to have growing up.
Offense – Mainly a stay-at-homer so far but he mans the point on the second unit power play. He has a nice smoothness, mobility and agility to his game. But what makes me salivate is Kyle’s occasional stretch passes – it is the creativity and vision along with the ability to make them on the fly and even off balance that makes me think there is likely to be an explosion, an absolute explosion, in this guy’s offense next year.
Defense – Tough, hard to play against, good on the PK. Will be a dominant physical force next year as he builds on his playoff success from this year.
Listened to his Mom while growing up; always takes out the trash in front of the net
Paid close attention to his teacher in school; usually is the first to erase the boards around the net
Playoffs – Kyle didn’t start his season until December 28th due to a knee injury suffered in training camp. He gradually worked his way back and into the lineup as he continually improved upon his level of play. However, it was the playoffs where he shone as the up and coming defenseman of the future for the Battalion. Kyle topped all Battalion defensemen in the playoffs with a plus six and tied for the lead in defensemen points with ten in twenty-two games as he helped the Battalion all the way to the OHL finals.
Draft placement......."

Full profile at THW

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Wonder chances he might get nabbed in the 3rd rnd - I'm thinking a Keenan Kanzig like reach here - Wood obviously smaller but more skill at the same point in their careers...

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Wasn't too sure of him on draft day as he still sounds like a project, but a guy with a steep development curve is a good guy to gamble on. Kind of a different approach from an Avs perspective, though, as in the past they have seemed to draft guys who had GREAT 16 year old seasons and were then somewhat average in their draft years or had 2 solid seasons of a junior resume.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Avs most underrated prospect. Still has to work on his skating but every other area of his game is elite. Honestly think he has the best/hardest shot in the entire organization at any level(junior/AHL/NHL). Had a great year last year with 16G+24A in 67 games to go along with a deep playoff run and has been great since returning from off-season wrist surgery with 2G+8A in 12 games. Future blue line is bright with Wood, Meloche, Bigras, Zadorov and others coming up.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm calling it now. Wood will be Parayko in three years. Size, physicality, amazing shot. The two are very similar.

I'm not completely familiar with Parayko's development, but Wood's trended extremely well throughout his OHL career. He's still trying to get his feet under him this season after missing nearly half the year with a wrist injury.

I fully expect him to be moved to a Memorial Cup contender later this season so we'll get a chance to see him once again put into a high pressure role if he remains healthy.

The one thing that is lacking to me is that true grit to his game that you wish of all 6'5+ prospects. Hopefully as his junior career comes to a close he starts to become a more physically dominant defenseman.

The Avs got a good one with Kyle Wood.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The kid's skating has come a long way to go with that fantastic shot and those lovely puck skills; but he really needs to use that big body better. So I can't help but worry that there's too much Myers/JayBo to his game; without being anywhere near as good a skater...despite the progress he's made.

Roy Baby*

Sep 28, 2015
Phoenix,AZ
To be honest, taking your guys' word for it on this one as I'm not too familiar with him.. but he's exactly what we need is that big mobile defensive-defenseman. I like this (from what I hear) :yo:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
To be honest, taking your guys' word for it on this one as I'm not too familiar with him.. but he's exactly what we need is that big mobile defensive-defenseman. I like this (from what I hear) :yo:

He is big, but definitely not mobile, skating is his major flaw.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He needs to work on his skating but it's not a major flaw. Stop underselling him

And you're clearly overselling him by a lot.

Arizona fans, he's a good prospect which is sounding like he has major skating issues. I thought he improved his skating from his draft year, but sounds he's still behind the curve since Sakic said they were on the fence about sign him. He's got an insane shot and good toolbox, probably has midpairing potential to top off at a solid #4. But since the Coyote fans were complaining about Gormley to us being beat on the outside, I wonder what they will think of Wood... :sarcasm:

Another aspect which Battalion fans have been saying is he's not physical for his size. He isn't soft, but would be a more productive player if he used his size more. Still a pretty good prospect you got, definitely the best player in the deal, just needs a lot of work.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He doesn't have major skating issues anymore. His skating still needs to improve more, but it's already come along by leaps and bounds.

BTW he's no defensive-dman. He's a giant offensive dman with a solid two-way game at the junior level.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
He needs to work on his skating but it's not a major flaw. Stop underselling him

Who's underselling him? I know every prospect is worth more than actual NHLers to you and that they are all sure things, but give it a rest already.

His skating improved, but it's still something he needs to work on it (and a lot) if he wants to be able to keep up with the NHL speed.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
And you're clearly overselling him by a lot.

Arizona fans, he's a good prospect which is sounding like he has major skating issues. I thought he improved his skating from his draft year, but sounds he's still behind the curve since Sakic said they were on the fence about sign him. He's got an insane shot and good toolbox, probably has midpairing potential to top off at a solid #4. But since the Coyote fans were complaining about Gormley to us being beat on the outside, I wonder what they will think of Wood... :sarcasm:

Another aspect which Battalion fans have been saying is he's not physical for his size. He isn't soft, but would be a more productive player if he used his size more. Still a pretty good prospect you got, definitely the best player in the deal, just needs a lot of work.

Sounds like Patrick Weircoch 2.0

I've seen him several times. Issues with guys like this is that for his point production in the O, that generally prescribes as a 20 - 25 point D man in the NHL (obviously variance), and while his skating is good for the OHL, he'll be less than average at the next level.

He has the size and some decent offensive instincts, but he has a long way to go to crack an NHL lineup. Jury is always out on what players make that jump, and bigger players have a better track record of that, but it is still low.

Regardless, good luck to him. Wish all kids could make, but odds are about 1 in 5. Hope he is the one of five who do.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sounds like Patrick Weircoch 2.0

I've seen him several times. Issues with guys like this is that for his point production in the O, that generally prescribes as a 20 - 25 point D man in the NHL (obviously variance), and while his skating is good for the OHL, he'll be less than average at the next level.

He has the size and some decent offensive instincts, but he has a long way to go to crack an NHL lineup. Jury is always out on what players make that jump, and bigger players have a better track record of that, but it is still low.

Regardless, good luck to him. Wish all kids could make, but odds are about 1 in 5. Hope he is the one of five who do.

He's a lot smarter with the puck than Wier, and more defensively sound. His skating needs work, but has already shown immense progress; so it's not unreasonable to think that'll continue. He'll need another 2-4 years of development, but could pay off in a huge way if he gets that time and continues making the most of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad