RD Jeremy Roy - Sherbrooke Phoenix, QMJHL (2015, 31st, SJS)

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Jeez, Sherbrooke look like a top team in the QMJHL, I know it was a 5 on 3 but they seemed like a whole bunch of stars. J.Roy with crazy moves, he should be top 10, always impressed when I watch him.

It was 5 on 4 actually.

Last edited:

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Roy has been heating up lately - six points in his last two games. He's been firmly entrenched in my top 5 for awhile now. I believe he'll develop into a top-notch NHL defenseman one day.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Roy has been heating up lately - six points in his last two games. He's been firmly entrenched in my top 5 for awhile now. I believe he'll develop into a top-notch NHL defenseman one day.

Definitely agreed.

Also have him in my top 5, potential number one defenseman, IMO.

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
no way he cracks the top 5, hes not gonna go ahead of either Marner or Strome

I was referring to his placement on my personal draft list - not where I expect him to be drafted.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I was referring to his placement on my personal draft list - not where I expect him to be drafted.

Out of curiosity, what is your personal draft list's top-5? I wonder which of Hanifin, Strome, and Marner you have Roy supplanting.

I like Roy a lot and he's penned into my top-10.

Haanz

Mar 2, 2013
Out of curiosity, what is your personal draft list's top-5? I wonder which of Hanifin, Strome, and Marner you have Roy supplanting.

I like Roy a lot and he's penned into my top-10.

Strome is the guy missing from my top 5. Konecny had previously been in my top 5 (I'm a big fan of his) but I couldn't justify keeping him there given the underwhelming season he's had thus far. I do still expect him to get back on track (he had 3 points his last game) and start producing at the kind of rate you'd expect from an undersized top prospect.

As for Roy, I believe his hockey IQ is what will set him apart from more toolsy defenders moving forward. His skill set is undeniable as well, but he really seems to just ''get it'' the way players like Drew Doughty and Ryan Murray do.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Reminds me so much of Doughty, I can see why some others wouldn't take him top 5 but I personally would. Roy will be a #1 defenceman atleast and probably a good top 10 defenceman IMO. Impresses me more than Hanifin but I've seen more of Roy than Hanifin.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
I can understand that people prefer different things but how he is a "B" prospect on Central Scouting is mind blowing to me.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Impresses me more than Hanifin but I've seen more of Roy than Hanifin.

Agreed. I've been underwhelmed by both Hanifin and Werenski at the WJCs. Not that either isn't a good player, but to think of Hanifin as #3 after my viewings...nah. Jeremy Roy has stood out every game I've watched him. He almost always makes good puck decisions, he's a stud defensively, he can skate very well, and he makes really good passes. I've got Roy in my top 5.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Agreed. I've been underwhelmed by both Hanifin and Werenski at the WJCs. Not that either isn't a good player, but to think of Hanifin as #3 after my viewings...nah. Jeremy Roy has stood out every game I've watched him. He almost always makes good puck decisions, he's a stud defensively, he can skate very well, and he makes really good passes. I've got Roy in my top 5.

You realize playing in the WJC's is quite different from playing in the QMJHL? Hanifin and Werenski have both been playing well. I very much doubt Roy would look as good in the same setting. Hell, if Hockey Canada thought he was good enough to play on a team who's severely lacking RHD's we would know the answer to that question ourselves.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Playing as a draft year eligible defensemen in the WJC is pretty challenging. Do you think Roy would be performing better than Hanifin and Werenksi? Playing in the Q is obviously much different than playing in the WJC's both in terms of quality of players and the intensity of the games.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

If you haven't been impressed by Hanifini, then you don't understand how hard it is for a 17 year old defenseman to "impress" laymen in a U20 tournament. Hanifin has been playing shut down minutes against the opponent's best every night and done it perfectly. I can count on one hand how many times I've seen Hanifin make anything but the most optimal play. If you expect a 17 year old defenseman playing shutdown minutes to excel offensively, you need to seriously readjust your standards.

Playing in the WJC is a different world than playing in the QMJHL. Playing in the NCAA is a different world than playing in the QMJHL. I love Roy but Hanifin is a clear step up. His defensive IQ far outstrips Roy's, and Hanifin can match anything Roy can do in the offensive zone; you just can't expect a 17 year old defenseman playing shutdown minutes to be taking offensive risks against older players in a best on best tournament.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
If you haven't been impressed by Hanifini, then you don't understand how hard it is for a 17 year old defenseman to "impress" laymen in a U20 tournament. Hanifin has been playing shut down minutes against the opponent's best every night and done it perfectly. I can count on one hand how many times I've seen Hanifin make anything but the most optimal play. If you expect a 17 year old defenseman playing shutdown minutes to excel offensively, you need to seriously readjust your standards.

Playing in the WJC is a different world than playing in the QMJHL. Playing in the NCAA is a different world than playing in the QMJHL. I love Roy but Hanifin is a clear step up. His defensive IQ far outstrips Roy's, and Hanifin can match anything Roy can do in the offensive zone; you just can't expect a 17 year old defenseman playing shutdown minutes to be taking offensive risks against older players in a best on best tournament.

I don't think the difference between Hanifin playing Slovakia Is "worlds" different than playing in the Q. When Hannifin is playing somebody like Canada then yes that is a completely different world but the world juniors level. I just haven't been wowed by either of the American D prospects, The way I was wowed by Roy. Yes, I took into consideration the different arenas of play.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
yea.. Hanifin is a lock at #3. Aint no way hes gonna fall down, hes the complete package. He looked like a 20 year old returnee against Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad