RD Jeremy Roy - Sherbrooke Phoenix, QMJHL (2015, 31st, SJS)

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
McKenzie's rankings dont seem to like him. Have him 25th. Most mock drafts Ive seen have him ~11th-15th.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
McKenzie's rankings dont seem to like him. Have him 25th. Most mock drafts Ive seen have him ~11th-15th.

But most professional scouts him him 15-25. I also really like Roy so the low rankings perplex me but if enough scouts agree that he's not a top-10 prospect, there has to be something us amateurs are missing.

I think speed would be one thing that we take for granted that Roy has. He has very good escapability, especially when under pressure from a forechecker in his own zone, but his top-end speed leaves something to be desired. He isn't small, but he is below average height (I'm pretty sure the average defenseman is 6'1") and he isn't overly physical. Maybe it is, like someone mentioned on the previous page, that people are gun-shy of defenseman in the Q. Perhaps the lack of elite physical tools is the issue. Kinda like the anti-Crouse.

I don't know though. It'll be interesting where he's drafted and it'll be interesting to see how is career progresses. I'd love to take him with the Sharks' 1st, probably between 15 and 20, since we need a two-way RHD PPQB type, but obviously there is something I'm missing that the professionals are seeing that raises questions. I just wish someone who does have Roy ranked at 25 would give us a straight answer on why. Like what type of holes does he have, or will his skillset not translate, or whatever the issue is that has him so low despite his IQ and offensive toolkit.

Scarbarian*

I really hope Leafs get grabs a mid 1st via trade. I would absolutely love to grab either Konecny/Roy with a mid 1st considering that if it does happen hypothetically.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I really hope Leafs get grabs a mid 1st via trade. I would absolutely love to grab either Konecny/Roy with a mid 1st considering that if it does happen hypothetically.

A somewhat realistic draft scenario is our 1st being in the ~5-9 range and grabbing one of Strome/Marner/Rantanen/Zacha, and then getting a mid-to-late 1st in a Kessel/Phaneuf or maybe even Bozak/Franson trade and grabbing a good RHD prospect like Roy or Carlo.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
But most professional scouts him him 15-25. I also really like Roy so the low rankings perplex me but if enough scouts agree that he's not a top-10 prospect, there has to be something us amateurs are missing.

I think speed would be one thing that we take for granted that Roy has. He has very good escapability, especially when under pressure from a forechecker in his own zone, but his top-end speed leaves something to be desired. He isn't small, but he is below average height (I'm pretty sure the average defenseman is 6'1") and he isn't overly physical. Maybe it is, like someone mentioned on the previous page, that people are gun-shy of defenseman in the Q. Perhaps the lack of elite physical tools is the issue. Kinda like the anti-Crouse.

I don't know though. It'll be interesting where he's drafted and it'll be interesting to see how is career progresses. I'd love to take him with the Sharks' 1st, probably between 15 and 20, since we need a two-way RHD PPQB type, but obviously there is something I'm missing that the professionals are seeing that raises questions. I just wish someone who does have Roy ranked at 25 would give us a straight answer on why. Like what type of holes does he have, or will his skillset not translate, or whatever the issue is that has him so low despite his IQ and offensive toolkit.

Even if most professional scouts have him mid-late 1st, I stand that Roy should be at least a top 12 picks in this draft and will be a top pairing defenceman at the NHL level.

His size is not an issue for me. His style of play makes him very effeciant even if he's 6'0", and a lot of top defenceman are 6'0" (Doughty, Keith, Subban to name a few). Although he isn't a mean physical beast, I consider him a pretty physical player. Is strong along the wall and wins his one on onr battle, will hit players who try to get around him, and sometimes will make a big open ice hits.

The only knock may be the first few step in his skating. It definitely can improve, but it's not bad and with some training and work on it, it should be more than fine. Other than that, he's a very good skater. Carries the puck very well, great at walking the blue line, very mobile, etc.

Hes a guy I really hope the Leafs can get, even with their really high pick. He's that good imo. Defenceman with that kind of IQ, decision makin, vision and passing, to go along with strength, skills and all-around game are very rare.

Your last sentence is spot on, I'd love to have an explanation on why they (McKenzie list, ISS, central scouting) have so low.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
Even if most professional scouts have him mid-late 1st, I stand that Roy should be at least a top 12 picks in this draft and will be a top pairing defenceman at the NHL level.

His size is not an issue for me. His style of play makes him very effeciant even if he's 6'0", and a lot of top defenceman are 6'0" (Doughty, Keith, Subban to name a few). Although he isn't a mean physical beast, I consider him a pretty physical player. Is strong along the wall and wins his one on onr battle, will hit players who try to get around him, and sometimes will make a big open ice hits.

The only knock may be the first few step in his skating. It definitely can improve, but it's not bad and with some training and work on it, it should be more than fine. Other than that, he's a very good skater. Carries the puck very well, great at walking the blue line, very mobile, etc.

Hes a guy I really hope the Leafs can get, even with their really high pick. He's that good imo. Defenceman with that kind of IQ, decision makin, vision and passing, to go along with strength, skills and all-around game are very rare.

Your last sentence is spot on, I'd love to have an explanation on why they (McKenzie list, ISS, central scouting) have so low.

Agreed on all counts. ISS is a joke but I am surprised he is not higher on Bob's list. Both HockeyProspect and Redline have him top-10 though. He will be a steal anywhere after pick #12.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
I have him ranked at 12, I just don't understand why people are so down on the kid...

Jul 10, 2003
KW

Wouldn't Bobby Mac's ranking be an average of 10 pro scouts?

Nobody is filling us in, but I have to believe it's his skating that's holding him back in the rankings.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Just listened to an interview with Jérémy Roy on the junior hockey show on TV. He said he's working on his explosiveness. His coach added he has to work on his shot too. His coach said we shouldn't bother too much about the rankings as some teams are highly interested in him. Well-articulated kid btw. Went to Sherbrooke as he could easily continue his education and it shows. Looks like a smart kid.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I have him at 6, and that may seem very high but I've been so impressed with him every time I've watched him play. I think he has #1 defenseman potential, he can just control the flow of the game, it's quite special. I don't understand any of these rankings, but maybe they see his explosiveness and non-elite shot as weaknesses? That seems weird to me though as those are both very improvable skills. Some team is going to luck out hard.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I have him at 6, and that may seem very high but I've been so impressed with him every time I've watched him play. I think he has #1 defenseman potential, he can just control the flow of the game, it's quite special. I don't understand any of these rankings, but maybe they see his explosiveness and non-elite shot as weaknesses? That seems weird to me though as those are both very improvable skills. Some team is going to luck out hard.

I agree. The constant hip/leg injuries haven't helped this year either. That said, can't take away his high hockey IQ, vision and puck skills. These more than make up for some shortcomings in his game. That said, I wouldn't even say skating in itself is an issue as he's very agile and mobile but I agree that if he can take his explosiveness to another level would help.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I have him ranked at 12, I just don't understand why people are so down on the kid...

I have him at 12 as well.

Everytime I watch him I come away impressed.

The only thing I don't like about him is how he holds his right hand when it is off his stick... like at a quirky angle away from his body, it is noticeable and distracting! :laugh: Sounds a weird thing to say but he does.

SchennSational1022*

I've never watched the kid play but apparently his skating is what scouts are picking apart.

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010
Skating and defensive decision-making.

A lot of bad teams in the NHL already have dmen that can put up points but cause too many defensive zone turnovers and/or get beaten a lot in their own zone.

Being gifted offensively only helps if you're solid defensively.

Junior is a lot more forgiving, so some people are wary of a possible liability.

Chance he may fall to a late 1st round, to a team comfortable enough with their depth and lineup to take more of a chance on a high ceiling / low floor type of D. Whereas **** teams will go for Hani, Provorov, Werenski early because they're safer picks.

Dec 3, 2012
Look at Shea Theodore, when he got drafted, there had some concerns about his defensive play. But he had an unbelievable offensive instinct. So the Ducks worked on his weaknesses and I'm pretty sure they are really happy with that pick,today. If a team can do the same thing with Roy, he'll be a dominant NHL defenseman.

stayinalive

Jul 29, 2012
Skating and defensive decision-making.

A lot of bad teams in the NHL already have dmen that can put up points but cause too many defensive zone turnovers and/or get beaten a lot in their own zone.

Being gifted offensively only helps if you're solid defensively.

Junior is a lot more forgiving, so some people are wary of a possible liability.

Chance he may fall to a late 1st round, to a team comfortable enough with their depth and lineup to take more of a chance on a high ceiling / low floor type of D. Whereas **** teams will go for Hani, Provorov, Werenski early because they're safer picks.

Not sure where this is coming from. In my viewings he showd excellecnt hockey sense in all situations. I mean he is the #1 dman for his CHL team, plays all situation. Same at the Ivan Hlinka. He was clearly Canadas best dman, played tons of PK aswell.

QMJHLfollower

Heart and soul
Jul 24, 2010
Not sure where this is coming from. In my viewings he showd excellecnt hockey sense in all situations. I mean he is the #1 dman for his CHL team, plays all situation. Same at the Ivan Hlinka. He was clearly Canadas best dman, played tons of PK aswell.

This.

Hockey sense, decision making and passing/vision are the strength of Roy.

As good as he is offensively, Roy is an all-around defenceman who plays a steady defensive game, plays in all situation, log big minutes, mistake free hockey.

His defensive game is definitely not a concern.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Look at Shea Theodore, when he got drafted, there had some concerns about his defensive play. But he had an unbelievable offensive instinct. So the Ducks worked on his weaknesses and I'm pretty sure they are really happy with that pick,today. If a team can do the same thing with Roy, he'll be a dominant NHL defenseman.

There are no concerns in his (Roy) defensive game.

Weip

Oct 3, 2008
Sherbrooke
The only thing I don't like about him is how he holds his right hand when it is off his stick... like at a quirky angle away from his body, it is noticeable and distracting! :laugh: Sounds a weird thing to say but he does.

Hey that's my favorite part of his play!

eL4BN8a.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->