RD Jamie Drysdale (2020, 6th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
He’s my personal pick at 5, just edges out Raymond for it. Unless wings pick him anyway

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Quite easily the best d-man of the class

Considering this looks like a weak d-man class, that's not the typical ringing endorsement of other years. Being a RHD certainly helps his value, but I don't think he would be as highly valued if he were in the 2018 class for example - a stacked class. Even last year, I don't think Drysdale goes ahead of Byram and that wasn't a very strong draft for d-men.

Reactions: lawrence

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Considering this looks like a weak d-man class, that's not the typical ringing endorsement of other years. Being a RHD certainly helps his value, but I don't think he would be as highly valued if he were in the 2018 class for example - a stacked class. Even last year, I don't think Drysdale goes ahead of Byram and that wasn't a very strong draft for d-men.
Drysdale and Byram are pretty close, so its an interesting way to look at them.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Drysdale and Byram are pretty close, so its an interesting way to look at them.

I think Byram is a high floor type of player. He has the skillset to be another Rielly, a top pairing #2 type. Not necessarily a #1D horse, but a top pairing type of player.

Being a RH shot boosts Drysdale's stock so it makes it really close. I think he's another high floor guy. I don't know if he will ever be a true #1 workhorse, but he could be a top pairing guy. He's undersized and maybe not as offensively gifted.

I think Byram is the better overall player, but being a righty really helps Drysdale's cause.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Byram is trash compared to Drysdale. Jamie Drysdale is a future franchise player, Byram is a bust or not type of player
2020 Weak draft for D's??? right...could agree less.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

I also think Drysdale gets slightly overrated. Much like Byram last year, he gets tons of hype being the hottest name on defense in the draft while the actual gap to other top defensive prospects in the draft might not be that large. There are plenty of things Drysdale still needs to improve to become a top NHL dman. We saw last year that Byram really wasn't that far ahead of his peers when the training camp rolled around.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Drysdale is so overrated. TOP 15 best Ds in 2021 draft will be better prospects than Drysdale.

Thats a fairly dramatic statement. What do you think will limit him in the NHL? He sort of fits the mold of other defenders that are seeing success like Hughes, Boqvist, etc. He may not be as good as Hughes but do you see his ceiling as a third pair player? He's rated highly by a number of scouts so they see skills they like.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Drysdale is so overrated. TOP 15 best Ds in 2021 draft will be better prospects than Drysdale.
What a bad post.

Best primary points per 60 of any d man int he draft. Captain of his team Canada age group which is very strong because not only is he incredibly talented but he also has great leadership qualities.

Finally show me how many 17 year old D men did what he did on team Canada at the WJC. Ill sit here and wait. Played his offside and made no mistakes while eating more and more minutes. Just under a PPG on a terrible team as a 17 year old.

Advancing through the neutral zone and gaining the blue line from a breakout is largely directed by coaching. I can't speak to Drysdale and Erie specifically but it's probably safe to say that this is a coaching strategy geared toward successful zone entry.

Also, keep in mind that at the Jr. level far fewer players can successfully gain the blue line vs. the pro ranks so if you have an elite talent that can skate it in that becomes a big part of your playbook. Evan Bouchard was similar iirc.
This past season there was no better player to have the puck on his stick on Erie than Drysdale. That probably had something to do with it, he didnt play that way a the Hlinka or the WJC.

Last edited:

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
I think Byram is a high floor type of player. He has the skillset to be another Rielly, a top pairing #2 type. Not necessarily a #1D horse, but a top pairing type of player.

Being a RH shot boosts Drysdale's stock so it makes it really close. I think he's another high floor guy. I don't know if he will ever be a true #1 workhorse, but he could be a top pairing guy. He's undersized and maybe not as offensively gifted.

I think Byram is the better overall player, but being a righty really helps Drysdale's cause.
I'm higher on both of their ceilings, they can both be #1 defenseman, though there will be a lot less on pressure for Byram to achieve that most likely.

Reactions: Dominance and bert

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
How good is this guy going to be? I see a right handed Cam Fowler when I watch

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
How good is this guy going to be? I see a right handed Cam Fowler when I watch

I think closer to a Shea Theodore..

He's going to be a valuable defenseman, I don't think he's gonna be a PK defenseman.. but he will play PP1 and give you lots to like on the ice with his skating, puck moving, and ability to control the puck in all zones.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I think closer to a Shea Theodore..

He's going to be a valuable defenseman, I don't think he's gonna be a PK defenseman.. but he will play PP1 and give you lots to like on the ice with his skating, puck moving, and ability to control the puck in all zones.
I think Drysdale is much more solid defensively than Theo, but very likely Drysdale comes up short to Theo offensively. The jury is still out if Drysdale can play #1 PP, actually.
Therefore a RD Fowler comparison is somewhat good, but I think Drysdale is more dynamic than him. But also smaller.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
I think Drysdale is much more solid defensively than Theo, but very likely Drysdale comes up short to Theo offensively. The jury is still out if Drysdale can play #1 PP, actually.
Therefore a RD Fowler comparison is somewhat good, but I think Drysdale is more dynamic than him. But also smaller.

I think Fowler was every bit as dynamic coming out of Windsor. He was constantly taking it coast 2 coast his first two seasons in Anaheim. That knee injury in his third year messed with his confidence and the injuries kept snowballing. Really changed his trajectory

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think he’s halfway between Makar and Ellis.

Maybe Ellis offense with Makar defense.

Drysdale has to grow A LOT to become a top pairing D-man in the NHL and I don't see a clear trajectory for him.

I will say he'll be a fantastic transition D-man and fantastic at defending the neutral zone. But will he be a guy that you want running your top PP? Or a guy you want playing shutdown minutes? Not sure about either one of those things.

Reactions: alexislafreniere

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Maybe Ellis offense with Makar defense.

Drysdale has to grow A LOT to become a top pairing D-man in the NHL and I don't see a clear trajectory for him.

I will say he'll be a fantastic transition D-man and fantastic at defending the neutral zone. But will he be a guy that you want running your top PP? Or a guy you want playing shutdown minutes? Not sure about either one of those things.

You pretty much nailed why I wouldn't want him at 6. Can he play defense at a top pairing level? Offense? I'm not entirely sure the answer to either of those is yes.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
he did make team Canada as a draft year dman, which is extremely rare for any Canadian kid to do especially as a defencemen. That is very hard to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad