RD Jamie Drysdale (2020, 6th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Terrific pick, in my opinion. I had him #2 in my rankings. I don't understand why he wasn't a top five pick in this draft. Made no sense to me. I don't know where the weakness is in his game, unless being shorter than 6'0 is a weakness. Great skating and puck moving, brilliant sense and playmaking. More skilled and better defensively than people think. I think he plays all situations 23-25 minutes per night.

In pro sports it kinda is. Hughes and Boqvist are the only other defenseman under 6'0 to be taken in the top 10 since 2000.

I like Drysdale a lot and definitely think he'll be top pairing but to paint him as having no deficiencies is just false. Fantastic skater and he's got great potential but there are still raw elements in his game. Wouldn't expect him to crack the Ducks lineup next year and even the year after could be a 50/50.

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
In pro sports it kinda is. Hughes and Boqvist are the only other defenseman under 6'0 to be taken in the top 10 since 2000.

I like Drysdale a lot and definitely think he'll be top pairing but to paint him as having no deficiencies is just false. Fantastic skater and he's got great potential but there are still raw elements in his game. Wouldn't expect him to crack the Ducks lineup next year and even the year after could be a 50/50.

He has no business being rushed. I hope he and Zegras both get 2 years after their draft to develope. The Ducks are not going to be competing for atleast 2 more years.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I understand your larger point, but Boqvist has been usually listed at 6'0. Makar has usually been listed at 5'11. Drysdale is usually listed at 5'11. And Hughes is listed at 5'9, but the Hughes brothers refused combine measurements, so there's an unknown with how tall Hughes actually is.

What are the deficiencies? I'm talking about tangible deficiencies. Don't tell me strength compared to pro players or refining his game or something that is one of those really trivial deficiencies that should improve and not be an issue for any player.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Give him two years. He needs to get stronger so he can protect himself , and mature mentally.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Loving what I read about him, I wanted him since the start if Perfetti or Rossi weren't going to be picked so I'm happy. No reason to rush him either as we're basically rebuilding, in a couple of years we should have our D anchor AND a much needed PP quarterback.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I understand your larger point, but Boqvist has been usually listed at 6'0. Makar has usually been listed at 5'11. Drysdale is usually listed at 5'11. And Hughes is listed at 5'9, but the Hughes brothers refused combine measurements, so there's an unknown with how tall Hughes actually is.

What are the deficiencies? I'm talking about tangible deficiencies. Don't tell me strength compared to pro players or refining his game or something that is one of those really trivial deficiencies that should improve and not be an issue for any player.

I would count weighing 170lbs as a tangible deficiency but if you don't then that's fine. In his actual game really only clearing the front of the net and winning board battles. His transition defense is excellent but I think he could become more adept at breaking up the cycle.

Just some things to work on before turning pro. Like just about every drafted player.

Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The team he plays on only had 1 player draft in the 6th round. His point totals would be much higher if he played on a good team. The fact that he stood out in every best vs best tournament is encouraging.... Here is a good video on him.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I think he lacks the vision to be a superstar defenceman but great chance of becoming something like a Sammy Girard. Which isn't a bad pick up at 6.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Some see Avs prospect Bowen Byram with star/franchise potential, i see him as potential bust.
I see Jamie Drysdale with Franchise potential.
Eh for me I see his floor as
Fowler minimum.

I also think at the same age he has better skating than Fowler, better hockey sense, is better in his own end and I think he has a more defined offensive skill set.... so I’d say there’s a very good chance he’s much better than Fowler.

he also has a really good attitude, I’ve been impressed with all of his interviews

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
yea? Why do you see him as bust potential?

Many reasons.

| my opinions |

Mentally weak

Takes absolutely idiotic penalties, too aggressive if you will.
He has one of the shortest/hottest fuses/tempers of all prospects i have ever seen,
even the littlest of things can set him off, dude has serious anger management issues.
The amount of slashing, poking, face washing, punching, etc. etc. he commits after whistles, or during games...
- if he can beat those things, that be great

On/off guy, when he is on a hot streak, he is incredible, but when he is on cold streak,
he is incredibly sucky and damages his team, a lot.

Hockey sense*

I see his Hockey IQ/sense as a big weakness, he also trusts too much to his own abilities,
his skill and what not, wrong kind of confidence.

Team play

Lacks in big game, key player ability, isn't your leader; type of player you can trust in,
in every situation.

Few other smaller things.

* i know that it has been told/said that his hockey sense is one of his best abilities,
i see it differently thou

Reactions: lawrence

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Many reasons.

| my opinions |

Mentally weak

He has one of the shortest/hottest fuses/tempers of all prospects i have ever seen,
even the littlest of things can set him off, dude has serious anger management issues.
The amount of slashing, poking, face washing, punching, etc. etc. he commits after whistles, or during games...

On/off guy, when he is on a hot streak, he is incredible, but when he is on cold streak,

Hockey sense*

I see his Hockey IQ/sense as a big weakness, he also trusts too much to his own abilities,

Team play

Lacks in big game, key player ability, isn't your leader; type of player you can trust in,
in every situation.

* i know that it has been told/said that his hockey sense is one of his best abilities,

When I saw the part where it said "lacks hockey sense" I realized you probably haven't actually watched him much. He probably has the highest hockey sense of any WHL player I've ever seen live.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
Many reasons.

| my opinions |

Mentally weak

Hockey sense*

Team play

in every situation.

Their is no such thing as too aggressive in hockey.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
When I saw the part where it said "lacks hockey sense" I realized you probably haven't actually watched him much. He probably has the highest hockey sense of any WHL player I've ever seen live.

I'm with you here, man. I take Byram 10 times out of 10 over Drysdale. Better offensively, just as good defensively.

I think the consistency issues may be correct, but he doesn't hurt his team when he's not producing. His offense is hot and cold though.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Their is no such thing as too aggressive in hockey.

Yes, there is. Plenty of bad players are either over-aggressive with trying to make plays defensively, they run themselves out of position, and create odd man chances against or too-aggressive offensively with handling the puck in dangerous areas, they lose the puck, and create odd man chances against. There are even players who are over-aggressive physically, and pick up a lot of bad penalties that way or get suspended that way.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Yes, there is. Plenty of bad players are either over-aggressive with trying to make plays defensively, they run themselves out of position, and create odd man chances against or too-aggressive offensively with handling the puck in dangerous areas, they lose the puck, and create odd man chances against. There are even players who are over-aggressive physically, and pick up a lot of bad penalties that way or get suspended that way.
Nick Ritchie, Kevin Bieksa

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think he lacks the vision to be a superstar defenceman but great chance of becoming something like a Sammy Girard. Which isn't a bad pick up at 6.
His upside is way higher than Girard come on. He is so far ahead of him at the same age. Players continue to develop....

He projects as a top pairing D man that can play in all situations. He could have a Heiskanen like impact his hockey IQ combined with his skating is extremely elite. He is also a leader.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2009
George has a lot of very strong hockey opinions that he has admitted multiple times are based on stat sheet scouting.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Not a fan of the player.

I think he will be a meh NHLer but will be considered a bust based on his draft spot.

I see too many bad habbits and decision making that simply wont work in the NHL.

I think Sanderson is going to be the much much much better pro in comparing the two.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
His upside is way higher than Girard come on. He is so far ahead of him at the same age. Players continue to develop....

He projects as a top pairing D man that can play in all situations. He could have a Heiskanen like impact his hockey IQ combined with his skating is extremely elite. He is also a leader.

We'll see. I mean I think that Girard is a top 30 defenceman in the league or close to so it's not like I'm saying he's gonna be awful. I think if Anaheim think they have got a top 30-ish d in the league the will be happy.

He lacks the power game of Heiskanen and I'd even argue that his straight ahead skating is a a bit lower. Plus things like reach and size and all that.

I also think he lacks the creativity of guys like Makar and Hughes, who both have an unteachable swagger about the game.

Drysdale is solid at every part of the game and has elite skating. Let's see what that translates to.

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Not a fan of the player.

I think he will be a meh NHLer but will be considered a bust based on his draft spot.

I see too many bad habbits and decision making that simply wont work in the NHL.

I think Sanderson is going to be the much much much better pro in comparing the two.

Like what??? decision making is one his strongest traits.... weird post.

S.S. Giggy

RIP 1974-2011
Jun 14, 2002
Getzlaf's Bald Spot
Visit site
Not a fan of the player.

Can you specify on the bad habits and decision making? That’s quite a bold claim you have there.

Reactions: Sam Steel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad