RD Jamie Drysdale (2020, 6th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarrysMustache

Feb 29, 2016
You clearly aren't reading what 57special said. He clarified "that's only a stylistic comparison, for those having trouble reading". Don't act 'holier than thou' because you worship #4.

stylistic comparison is still a comparison (just forgo the adjective)... we clearly all understand its not a projection. Simply put, his skating is not Mcdavid level in the O to receive such a STYLISTIC comparison

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
stylistic comparison is still a comparison (just forgo the adjective)... we clearly all understand its not a projection. Simply put, his skating is not Mcdavid level in the O to receive such a STYLISTIC comparison

Theoretically speaking yes, but you're arguing semantics at this stage.

The last part is also irrelevant because Drysdale is still an elite skater and one of the best all-around skaters in the draft.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Remember when the argument against Barzal was that he held onto the puck for too long? I agree that you can't do it in the NHL(unless you are freakishly talented), but i want to see prospects hold onto it for a long time in the lower leagues...because that's how you develop puck skills. Hard to develop them when you don't have the puck.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
He just elevated his game at the WJC as the tournament went along then played his wrong side and did so seamlessly... At 17. Fabbro couldnt even do that as a 19 year old. While Bobby Orr is an extreme take he is closer to being accurate than you are. Show me all the other d men that logged big minutes for a championahop level team Canada at 17 years old. They are all better players than Spurgeon or Fabbro. He will be a bonafied top pair d man the only question is if he will be a franchise altering one.
Totally agree. His floor is super high to at least be a 2/3 guy. As long as health doesn’t become a problem (which you can never project) he has zero, and I mean zero, chance to be a complete bust. Over the years of watching great prospects in the OHL, it’s not that common to see players that you can say have zero chance of being a bust. There are always some questions (usually with size, skating, intelligence, attitude, etc)

Drysdale will be a 2/3 guy with a very good chance to be a top tier franchise player. That easily justifies any team taking him in the top 5

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
One thing that will definitely be a concern is his tendency to hold onto the puck for so long. It works tremendously at the Junior level since his skating and awareness are on a whole other level than 99% of the league, but will he make adjustments at the pro-level when this is no longer the case. Watching him play he tends to hold onto the puck longer than he needs to and make what could be seen as reckless plays because he was the speed and allusive ability to recover but would have been better served to make a pass.

We’ll see soon enough how he adjusts at the next level.
I continue to say that the best attributes for a player that has physical skills (like Drysdale’s skating) is their attitude.

Drysdale has as good of an attitude/intelligence that you can get in a player. Reminds me of McDavid in that sense. The kid will take to any coaching. He just wants to get better and understands the process. No doubt he will impress scouts when they talk to him

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Scott Niedermayer 2.0 ? If so than it would be a dream for the Devils to get him somehow

Reactions: bert

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
They play the same side.

Theyre the same hand but Seider has played the left and right side in Grand Rapids this year. At the end of the day I think Detroit will draft BPA but the only thing with Drysdale is that the wings possibly strongest point in their system is right handed D. I could see them taking someone in the same tier as him but kipping Drysdale because of this

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If you guys wind up picking 2nd and 3rd overall there is a chance he slips by you guys. I cant see him dropping past the top 5 though.

If it was up to me I would take Byfield and Drysdale in that situation. top C , top D... I would look to add the best forward available with the Isles pick. There should be a pretty good one left there.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Bored as hell, went to check out some prospect highlights and holy hell this kid skates well.

I don’t know what his hockey IQ, or defensive game is like, but his skating is tremendous.

Reactions: ps241

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
I'm a fan of waiting with D - Cale Makar being a great example of someone who could have gone pro a year earlier, but was left another year to continue to evolve and dominate. But I'd probably bet Drysdale is a good chance to only do one more year in junior, rather than two.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Sup guys, Here is the latest video I made on Drysdale. There is a lot to like with him ! :popcorn:

As skilled as this kid is it pisses me off to see so many open forwards in many of the clips and instead of passing he just skates the puck up himself. I never understood this style of play but maybe I dont understand team sports, or there is something that isnt clicking for me considering everyone is praising his style of play.

Reactions: JAVO16

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
As skilled as this kid is it pisses me off to see so many open forwards in many of the clips and instead of passing he just skates the puck up himself. I never understood this style of play but maybe I dont understand team sports, or there is something that isnt clicking for me considering everyone is praising his style of play.

Advancing through the neutral zone and gaining the blue line from a breakout is largely directed by coaching. I can't speak to Drysdale and Erie specifically but it's probably safe to say that this is a coaching strategy geared toward successful zone entry.

Also, keep in mind that at the Jr. level far fewer players can successfully gain the blue line vs. the pro ranks so if you have an elite talent that can skate it in that becomes a big part of your playbook. Evan Bouchard was similar iirc.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Im guessing he spends another season in juniors then the NHL, or would you say he should 2 years in juniors?
He will definitely be in juniors next year. Would be shocked to see him physically ready for a full NHL season. Definitely more of a chance he’s in the NHL full time in 2021-22 than he is in juniors, but I wouldn’t say 100% either. Would all depend on the team that drafts him and Drysdale’s development on his strength. Would say 80/20 he’s in the NHL full time by 2021-22

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Advancing through the neutral zone and gaining the blue line from a breakout is largely directed by coaching. I can't speak to Drysdale and Erie specifically but it's probably safe to say that this is a coaching strategy geared toward successful zone entry.

Also, keep in mind that at the Jr. level far fewer players can successfully gain the blue line vs. the pro ranks so if you have an elite talent that can skate it in that becomes a big part of your playbook. Evan Bouchard was similar iirc.
Dead on answer. Typically in the OHL, only a few players per team are consistently good/great at some entries. The style that Erie plays (or wants to play) is puck possession and puck control. So without a doubt they need to gain entry without issue if they expect to set up their offense. Drysdale is the best guy for the job so I would imagine it’s by design and he’s being asked to do this because their forward group is lacking

Besides, I don’t think that’s a difficult thing to change in his game. If an organization/coach asked him to pass it up more and not take it himself, he’s easily capable of doing that but more importantly he’s willing to do that if told that’s what is best for the team

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Just because a forward is open doesn't mean the defenseman should pass to him. Oftentimes the defenseman is a better skater or has better hands than the forward — which is usually the case with Drysdale — and has a higher chance of entering the zone cleanly. Have you watched Cale Makar and Quinton Hughes? They often skate from their own end to the offensive zone because their excellent skating allows them to. That's part of what makes them so dangerous.

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Anyone know where to find a shift-by-shift of Drysdale? One of the only top prospects I can't seem to find.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
I like how mature his game is for a young player, esp in his own zone. He's pretty good all round in addition to the elite skating, but I'm not sure if he'll be a game breaker offensively, have not yet seen the skill and creativity that belong to a top PPQB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad