RD Jamie Drysdale (2020, 6th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The only mildly shocking thing to me was Buffalo picking Quinn over Rossi and Perfetti. I love Drysdale, but Raymond, Holtz, and Sanderson were appealing also. Rossi and Perfetti had their very rabid fans too, even among scouts.

Last edited:
Reactions: hidek91

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
The only mildly shocking thing to me was Buffalo picking Quinn over Rossi and Perfetti. I love Drysdale, but Raymond, Holtz, and Sanderson were appealing also. Rossi and Perfetti had their very rabid fans to, even among scouts.

I don't think neither Raymond nor Holtz becomes impact players to the NHL, not in the extent what Drysdale will be.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
18 year looking like a top pairing Dman in the AHL so far. I still think #6 made sense, as much as I see Drysdale in the league 20 years I'd still put his potential behind Sanderson, who is going to be a monster in a couple years.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
18 year looking like a top pairing Dman in the AHL so far. I still think #6 made sense, as much as I see Drysdale in the league 20 years I'd still put his potential behind Sanderson, who is going to be a monster in a couple years.
Hmm, I think it's the opposite. I see Drydale having the higher ceiling but possibly flaming out earlier, while Sanderson will have the better chance to last a long time due to his size and all round skills.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Going 4th for 5th. There was even some rumblings that LA really liked him, but then they got the 2nd ovr.

Yep--same thing with Zegras too, Blake maybe needs to stop hanging out across town :laugh:

I'm pretty convinced LA was going with Drysdale if they picked outside top 3.

Reactions: Getz2noone

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Hmm, I think it's the opposite. I see Drydale having the higher ceiling but possibly flaming out earlier, while Sanderson will have the better chance to last a long time due to his size and all round skills.
I think theyre both 20 year guys and very close in many metrics. Drysdale probably a more dynamic skater, but effortless strides for Sanderson. Both have top pairing awareness in all zones. Main reason I'd say Sandos got the higher ceiling is because he's going to be more physically imposing, taking up more space and reach to go along with that IQ.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think theyre both 20 year guys and very close in many metrics. Drysdale probably a more dynamic skater, but effortless strides for Sanderson. Both have top pairing awareness in all zones. Main reason I'd say Sandos got the higher ceiling is because he's going to be more physically imposing, taking up more space and reach to go along with that IQ.
They are both going to be really good players any team would be hyped to have either one of them

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Yep--same thing with Zegras too, Blake maybe needs to stop hanging out across town :laugh:

I'm pretty convinced LA was going with Drysdale if they picked outside top 3.
Kings were in that weird spot this year even if you loved drysdale or sanderson, no way you could pick 1 over byfield or stutzle.... just way too much potential from those players.

Last year draft was a little more open.... but I didn’t think zegras would ever get to 9.... I was hoping for cozens/boldly or newhook.

maybe bob hits them up Blake and asks what his next choice woulda been and goes with that :naughty:

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
An incredible skater. One of the best I’ve seen from a defenseman in quite some time. Not just the speed but the edge work and polish all around.

I would be very surprised if he’s not a top pairing D within 3 years

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I am shocked he dropped to 6 tbh.

Going 4th for 5th. There was even some rumblings that LA really liked him, but then they got the 2nd ovr.

You are shocked he fell to 6th instead of 1-2 spots earlier? Kind of overexaggerating, no? No scouting report had him higher than 4th. Including none of Bob Mckenzie's head scouts rankings. In fact, in comparison, two of Bob's head scouts ranked Sanderson 3rd.

He's a beauty, top pairing ability for sure, his size do raise slight concerns but nontheless-- and he went exactly around where he should have went. Some reports are Ottawa and Anaheim are the teams that had Sanderson 3rd and Drysdale 4th so both our teams did really well to get the guy they wanted lower than where they had them ranked.

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
I like the Scott Neidermayer comparison. We all knew SN would have longevity and play big minutes but we were not sure he would be great. Seemed more like a two-way #2 guy. Drysdale's personality, skating and overall game reminds me of SN at the same time in their careers. I'm fairly certain in short course were going to be saying, "Drys, yea, he's a great one"....

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
The question for me about Drysdale is will he use all that skill in an offensive role (like Q. Hughes) or will he be an overall guy like SN was. I was always left wanting more from SN offensively. 740 points in 1263 games over 18 seasons wasn't exactly Bourque-like. Will Anaheim be able to build a potent offense around Zegras quickly enough? Lots of questions but what's not a question is this guy talent. Unreal IQ.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The question for me about Drysdale is will he use all that skill in an offensive role (like Q. Hughes) or will he be an overall guy like SN was. I was always left wanting more from SN offensively. 740 points in 1263 games over 18 seasons wasn't exactly Bourque-like. Will Anaheim be able to build a potent offense around Zegras quickly enough? Lots of questions but what's not a question is this guy talent. Unreal IQ.

Q. Hughes often gets complained about for his (lack of) defense. I don't think that will be an issue for Drysdale, but I also don't think he'll put up the offensive numbers that Hughes will. It's unfair to compare Drysdale to Nieds, Scotty is a hall of famer and expecting that of Drysdale is asking to be disappointed. That said, I think he'll have more offensive freedom that Scott did in New Jersey so the points may be closer than their talent levels (if that makes sense). Style-wise, I think he'll be more Niedermayer (good on both ends, amazing skater) but impact wise, closer to Hughes of right now (he'll keep more pucks out of the net on his side than Hughes does, but he won't have the offense of Quinn). It'll be interesting to see where Hughes and Drysdale are in 5 years, when Vancouver becomes a legit contender I think Hughes will reign in the offense a bit and be a better defensive player.

Oct 18, 2011
This makes me with players could go straight to the AHL. He is probably getting so much more out of this year then he would have in the CHL.
Yeah some guys are in that middle ground where they aren't ready for the NHL but also might not benefit much from staying in Juniors. If he does have to go back i'm sure the OHL will seem alot slower to him

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
One of the most bizarre, over-repeated criticisms of a prospect I can remember- "Drysdale is overrated because this is a weak draft class for defensemen."

Drysdale still has to prove himself at the next level, but I think he's about as good as any defensive prospect around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad