RD Jamie Drysdale (2020, 6th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Can you specify on the bad habits and decision making? That’s quite a bold claim you have there.

I think he makes alot of high risk pass attempts and pinches that work at the OHL. of course he can always adjust in the NHL but I think this was one of the reasons he catupulted up the rankings so it wouldnt really make sense for him to change the way he plays. Almost like a Catch 22.

I think he can end up being like somewhere in between a floor of Justin Schultz and a ceiling of Mike Green

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I think he makes alot of high risk pass attempts and pinches that work at the OHL. of course he can always adjust in the NHL but I think this was one of the reasons he catupulted up the rankings so it wouldnt really make sense for him to change the way he plays. Almost like a Catch 22.

I think he can end up being like somewhere in between a floor of Justin Schultz and a ceiling of Mike Green

Haha well I'd definitely take prime mike green...but who needs a dman on pace for 88 points! Grossss!

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Haha well I'd definitely take prime mike green...but who needs a dman on pace for 88 points! Grossss!

yes that would be nice,

but like I said I drysdale falls somewher in between a Schultz and Mike Green meaning I dont think he will ever get as good as prime Mike Green.

I do however think Ducks have other nice prospects, really liked and wanted Zegras at the draft.

Reactions: Kalv

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

He literally plays nothing like etiher of those players.....

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
This guy backward crossovers are insane. Some of the quickest feet I have ever seen, I wish he was a little bit bigger.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Obviously I’m extremely far from a pro scout, but I still scratch my head about Ottawa taking Sanderson over Drysdale. Drysdale looks like a star in the making to me, I can absolutely see him as a top pairing dman. Sanderson looks kind of mediocre in comparison, like I can see him being a quality 2nd pair dman, but I’m not seeing the star potential I see in Drysdale.

Last edited:

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Exciting times to be a Ducks fan. I feel like if we could get one or two more super prospects
(2021: ?, 2022: Lambert(?)) we are heading towards the right direction

Need three or 4 of Lundy, Steel, Comtois, Tracey, Jones, Perrault, or Terry to pop and one of Lacombe, Thrun and we could be competing much sooner than people think.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Obviously I’m extremely far from a pro scout, but I still scratch my head about Ottawa taking Sanderson over Drysdale. Drysdale looks like a star in the making to me, I can absolutely see him as a top pairing dman. Sanderson looks kind of mediocre in comparison, like I can see him being a quality 2nd pair dman, but I’m not seeing the star potential I see in Drysdale.

We had our time in the sun with Karlsson, time to select a more conventional defenseman? :shrug:

Oct 18, 2011
Sanderson is more of a longer term project...you can see why teams liked him with his size and skating but IMO in the offensive zone he doesn't know what to do quite yet

Reactions: ponder

bsu

Sep 27, 2017
Sanderson will be Slavin lite, Drysdale Miro Heiskanen lite..

I don't think either player will end up as good as the comparison above but play kinda similar. Both will be great NHL defensemen.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Such a good player. Very clearly the best defenseman from this draft class... really not much of a question at this point (although that could change)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Such a good player. Very clearly the best defenseman from this draft class... really not much of a question at this point (although that could change)

There's plenty of question about that which is why he wasn't the consensus top d-man in the draft.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Sanderson is more of a longer term project...you can see why teams liked him with his size and skating but IMO in the offensive zone he doesn't know what to do quite yet

he knows exactly what to do. am i crazy or are people not seeing Sanderson activate on the rush as well as off the cycle?

sure the execution hasn't been perfect but he is making aggressive attacking reads. specifically more than Drysdale too.

I do agree Sanderson is more of a project compared to Drysdales silky polished game. But he is a project with all the tools as well as the hockey IQ.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner
Oct 18, 2011
he knows exactly what to do. am i crazy or are people not seeing Sanderson activate on the rush as well as off the cycle?

sure the execution hasn't been perfect but he is making aggressive attacking reads. specifically more than Drysdale too.

I do agree Sanderson is more of a project compared to Drysdales silky polished game. But he is a project with all the tools as well as the hockey IQ.
Activating is not the same as knowing what to do with the puck in the offensive zone and having to make a quick decision. I saw a play the other night where USA had finally gotten to some loose pucks and had Russia on the defensive and Sanderson panicd and shot the puck into a wall of defenders and it killed the possession.

I feel like my assessment of him has been pretty fair so far. I'm not saying the offense wont come I'm saying it's not there right now

Drysdale is playing with Byram who thinks he's a forward he is literally playing exactly how he should be

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Drysdale is currently playing with 4 forwards... A little hard to activate as much as he would usually.
I think Drysdale is paying more attention to the 2 way game anyway, sure he would activate more with a defensive minded partner, but he is not and will not be Karlsson or even Byram in that aspect of the game.

Sanderson comparisons are way to early, the D+1 season have barely started, none of them have hurt their outlook so far. They are different players and should be evaluated differently and definitely down the road moreso than now.

I'm very happy with Drysdale, I am a bit worried about his size as a two way defenseman, but his qualities (skating and IQ) makes me very positive for the future.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Sanderson will be Slavin lite, Drysdale Miro Heiskanen lite..

I don't think either player will end up as good as the comparison above but play kinda similar. Both will be great NHL defensemen.

Sanderson plays a lot more like Heiskanen. They separate the forwards from the puck very similarly. Sanderson has also had more offensive rushes and impressive bursts on offense than Drysdale thus far. Drysdale plays a steady solid, high IQ 2 way game like Fowler. He'll be a good mentor for him.

Both will be top pairing defenders.

I mean you're dead wrong. What the guy said was at this point he's the best defenseman from that draft, which he 100% is.

I know there might be some bias coming from your posts but 2 of the top 10 scouts in Bob Mackenzie's final list had Sanderson 3rd (ironically could be Ottawa and Anaheim) no one had Drysdale that high. That alone means your posts are dead wrong. The Leaf fans post above is hilarious, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad