Value of: RD David Savard

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Agreed. He’s a guy whose value varies drastically depending on retention imo. At full cap right now, he’s a slightly overpaid veteran #5 with playoff experience. The extra year makes it hard for a contender to fit him in. It’s hard to see him getting more than like a 3rd or 4th. At 50% retention, he’s now bargain, and exactly the kind of guy a contender would want considering they’d get him for a year and a half. A 1st suddenly doesn’t seem unreasonable.

Hard pass. It’s debatable if he’s an upgrade on Ceci, and I’d argue no. What does he accomplish for us? We need a guy like Tanev who can play on the top pairing with Nurse if we’re getting a dman

No, he’s making an obvious comparison to discuss his value which is what the thread is about
And the value from the Habs is a 1st with no retention because it seems we don't want to trade him.

Reactions: viceroy

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
That’s assuming they’re remotely comparable. Tanev is a somewhat significantly underpaid 2/3, while Savard is a slightly overpaid 5. The extra year isn’t a bonus when he’s not worth his contract. But as I said, with retention, his value raises dramatically. At 1.75 per, he’s underpaid and I can easily see a contender giving up a 1st like Tampa did with Goodrow and Coleman
See that's where we disagree. Savard for what he would bring to a playoff team is easily worth 3.5 .

Tanev is not a 2/3 dman.
He is on the Flames.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
See that's where we disagree. Savard for what he would bring to a playoff team is easily worth 3.5 .

On an expiring deal, I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s great, but you can justify it. The problem is the extra year. I’m not saying he’s overpaid by 2 million or anything, but he’s slightly overpaid, and it’s rare to see a contender take on an overpaid player who’s deal isn’t expiring. IMO, his value is like a 3rd at best without retention, but goes up to a 1st with retention (since you get him for an extra year at a bargain), or a 2nd (@3.5) at the deadline next year.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think Savard at this age (his prime ended around 2020) is enough of an upgrade on Cody Ceci, the Oilers should look for better targets.

I'd be surprised if any team pays a 1st for Savard. I love the player but he was already slipping when Tampa paid a 1st for him, the case hasn't gotten better since.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I'd be surprised if any team pays a 1st for Savard. I love the player but he was already slipping when Tampa paid a 1st for him, the case hasn't gotten better since.
You realize most Habs fans seem fine with this, right ? A 1st and a B prospect (or a 2nd) is the point when I can't turn down callers anymore, but if the best offer just isn't that good.... well, that's just fine.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Toffoli type return. Savard will fetch a first and solid prospect with No retention. If they want retention a future 2nd included
I think that's a touch high personally.

He obviously has value to Montreal, so they're not going to trade him away for scraps, I get that. But I don't think he's had a good enough year to command a first and a solid prospect.

I think Savard fits as a solid, RH veteran, who's best as a high-end number 5D on a contender and an insurance policy if a top 4D goes down. He can also help out by playing heavy PK minutes.

I think a 2nd and decent prospect or a late 1st/equivalent prospect if retention is on the table, is likely his value. Now if a cap dump goes back, that could push things again.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You realize most Habs fans seem fine with this, right ? A 1st and a B prospect (or a 2nd) is the point when I can't turn down callers anymore, but if the best offer just isn't that good.... well, that's just fine.

Nothing in my comment disagreed with that idea. I think the Habs should keep him.

Reactions: pth2

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I swear to god if Montreal speaks another 1st into existence for David Savard…

It sounds like Montreal values his intangibles but I wouldn’t worry about not having someone to replace him. He’s literally a replacement level player!

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

It sounds like Montreal values his intangibles but I wouldn’t worry about not having someone to replace him. He’s literally a replacement level player!
2 statements:
-he's a replacement-level player
-he might fetch a first.

I think it's fair to say at least one of those is false (possibly both, though). I'm unsure on the first round value, but he's a reasonably solid defensive top-4 option, RD to boot, so to me it's certain he's above replacement-level.

EDIT: clarity. Words on screen didn't fit with thoughts in my head.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

I think HFBoards and hockey fans in general have put too much faith into jfresh cards and other advanced stats amalgamations while ignoring that those stats are literally a reflection of the team they play on. Especially when it comes to guys that don't carry the puck often. David Savard passes the eye test and his metrics would go up considerably on another team. It's not the MLB where you can build a good team entirely from statistics. He isn't built for the man-to-man defense Marty wants the guys to play, his skating is suited for zone play.

He is worth a first retained for two years, but the teams I see him a fit for aren't buyers or don't have firsts or don't even have 2 mil accrued cap space at the deadline. Like he'd be at worst the third best D in Toronto. He'd be a better vet option for Colorado than what they have. He'd fit like a glove on Boston's third pairing. St. Louis would fit as well but they're a loss away from being out of the playoffs.

Teams that are buyers on the fringe and have cap space like Detroit, Washington, Tampa, and the Rangers have very strong D cores. Tampa would be a good target with Sergachev down but they already know Savard isn't a fit for Cooper's system.

Ironically, Minnesota is probably the best fit for style and having 15 mil in dead cap next year. Can't imagine them parting with a first though with Spurgeon out for the year.

The teams I would have expected to want him are out of the playoffs.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I wouldnt trade Savard.for less than a 1st + b prospect or grade A prospect, he is exactly what teams want in the playoffs, a real warrior who can play alot of minutes.

Habs blueline doesnt look the same without him in the line-up, he is a quiet force on the back end.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Habs blueline doesnt look the same without him in the line-up, he is a quiet force on the back end.

I think it might actually be better without him.

Savard was once a great shutdown D but at this point he's not shutting anything down. The goals against rate with him on the ice are higher than for anyone else on the Habs.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I think it might actually be better without him.

Savard was once a great shutdown D but at this point he's not shutting anything down. The goals against rate with him on the ice are higher than for anyone else on the Habs.
We dont watch the same games.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
2 statements:
-he's a replacement-level player
-he might fetch a first.

I think it's fair to say at least one of those is false (possibly both, though). I'm unsure on the first round value, but he's a reasonably solid defensive top-4 option, RD to boot, so to me it's certain he's above replacement-level.
I’m sure his value is greater than his actual on-ice play warrants. I can see some GM paying something for him because he has this perceived value going back to his Columbus days. And he’s Right handed, that’s like the best thing going for him. But man, he’s straight up not good. I guess he could be a bottom pair penalty killer on a contender, but they could probably just promote someone from their AHL team and get the same results.

If I’m Montreal I’d be pleased with a 3rd round pick. They would actually be a better team if they simply didn’t play him every night. But you know, he’s a leader or role model or something something

• Haha
Reactions: pth2

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think that's a touch high personally.

He obviously has value to Montreal, so they're not going to trade him away for scraps, I get that. But I don't think he's had a good enough year to command a first and a solid prospect.

I think Savard fits as a solid, RH veteran, who's best as a high-end number 5D on a contender and an insurance policy if a top 4D goes down. He can also help out by playing heavy PK minutes.

I think a 2nd and decent prospect or a late 1st/equivalent prospect if retention is on the table, is likely his value. Now if a cap dump goes back, that could push things again.
No we not moving Savard cheap.

Reactions: viceroy

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
But man, he’s straight up not good. I guess he could be a bottom pair penalty killer on a contender, but they could probably just promote someone from their AHL team and get the same results.

If I’m Montreal I’d be pleased with a 3rd round pick. They would actually be a better team if they simply didn’t play him every night.
Gotta admire how people who have clearly never seen a player play act confident when evaluating the player. Savard is a good dman.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I think HFBoards and hockey fans in general have put too much faith into jfresh cards and other advanced stats amalgamations while ignoring that those stats are literally a reflection of the team they play on. Especially when it comes to guys that don't carry the puck often. David Savard passes the eye test and his metrics would go up considerably on another team. It's not the MLB where you can build a good team entirely from statistics. He isn't built for the man-to-man defense Marty wants the guys to play, his skating is suited for zone play.
I don’t think you need a j fresh card to realize a 33 year old Savard is a declining player. That’s just how it goes.

I can see him improving and being somewhat useful in the right situation on a 3rd pairing, sure. I don’t believe that warrants a 1st though

I also readily admit that NHL GMs probably value him higher because GMs love certain traits for the playoffs and I guess he has them (nice beard, blocks shots)

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad