Value of: RD David Savard

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018
who would like David Savard? No need for presentation. He’s still good.

Contract is 3,5m$/year for another year. We want to retain to maximize value.
You decided that, did you? Doubt they retain on another contract that's not ending this year. They have 1 slot remaining.

Reactions: viceroy

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Dont see Mailloux or Reinbacher in the NHL next season they should be with the Rocket and Savard will be on hes last year but even so veteran dmans are really not hard to find we can easily trade for one or sign one in the summer and magic beans really? acquiring picks is what rebuilding teams do thats why we traded so many vets for them

If a team offers a 1st for Savard at 50% you make that trade and smile anything less then that yea i rather keep him
Consider this: Ottawa has better young talent than Montreal, but have clearly been struggling to take that next step, and are now looking for good pros, veterans to help bring the kids along. We have such a player in Savard... why let him go ?

I mean, moving veterans for futures makes sense to a certain extent, but there is no reason to sell off every last one of them, and we can't only keep the anchor contracts, they aren't the pros we want kids to model themselves after.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
They should have him in Montreal for a bit to see where he's at with his development but he needs to play decent minutes.

No idea. Laval probably with a couple of NHL games to feel the pace is my bet

He had a really good camp. Wouldn't surprise me if they brought him over.

Re Savard: Short of an overpay from a bidding war, I'm inclined to keep him.

I dunno. I kinda hate bringing kids, short of all out super elite prospects (Like Bedard) up before they're ready. Seems like it hurts more often than helps.

Then again, I'm also looking at this through the lense of comparing Reinbacher to Seider, and Seider's development curve was skewed by COVID. If not for the AHL/NHL season being in question when the decision was made to send him to the SHL, he probably would've been in the NHL in his D+2.

Gaud

May 11, 2017
I think he fetches a late 1st (or equivalent) at the deadline, but not this summer.

I think there will be a few teams looking for a defensive RD with SC experience. The guy also puts the team before himself and is a plus in the locker room. Seems to me there may be a few takers. Things that are really going for him though: 1. Trade deadline = auctions and his type is rare and 2. He is a good veteran that seems to be doing wonders with the youngsters; it could be that he's more valuable to the habs than his return and that the habs arent actively shopping him.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
I dunno. I kinda hate bringing kids, short of all out super elite prospects (Like Bedard) up before they're ready. Seems like it hurts more often than helps.

Then again, I'm also looking at this through the lense of comparing Reinbacher to Seider, and Seider's development curve was skewed by COVID. If not for the AHL/NHL season being in question when the decision was made to send him to the SHL, he probably would've been in the NHL in his D+2.
I would just let him play for a few games to see where his at i don't think their would be harm in doing that and you tell him what your doing.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
next year he will only be worth a 2nd or 3rd depending on his play but this year at 50% im sure he returns a 1st which has more value to our team then keeping him for 1 more year

Agreed. He’s a guy whose value varies drastically depending on retention imo. At full cap right now, he’s a slightly overpaid veteran #5 with playoff experience. The extra year makes it hard for a contender to fit him in. It’s hard to see him getting more than like a 3rd or 4th. At 50% retention, he’s now bargain, and exactly the kind of guy a contender would want considering they’d get him for a year and a half. A 1st suddenly doesn’t seem unreasonable.

Edm needs savard. They seem to deperatly need a bih rhd man.

Hard pass. It’s debatable if he’s an upgrade on Ceci, and I’d argue no. What does he accomplish for us? We need a guy like Tanev who can play on the top pairing with Nurse if we’re getting a dman

No he's trying to downplay his value.

No, he’s making an obvious comparison to discuss his value which is what the thread is about

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
I understand his value is higher to Montreal than it is probably to an acquiring team but a world where he's worth a 1st or anywhere near that. Oilers should be selling on Ceci and Kulak.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Tanev is a far better defenseman and nobody has offered a 1st for him yet. Can't see how Savard gets a 1st plus

Agreed. He’s a guy whose value varies drastically depending on retention imo. At full cap right now, he’s a slightly overpaid veteran #5 with playoff experience. The extra year makes it hard for a contender to fit him in. It’s hard to see him getting more than like a 3rd or 4th. At 50% retention, he’s now bargain, and exactly the kind of guy a contender would want considering they’d get him for a year and a half. A 1st suddenly doesn’t seem unreasonable.

Hard pass. It’s debatable if he’s an upgrade on Ceci, and I’d argue no. What does he accomplish for us? We need a guy like Tanev who can play on the top pairing with Nurse if we’re getting a dman

No, he’s making an obvious comparison to discuss his value which is what the thread is about
Tanev is a UFA and Savard can be used for 2 playoff runs. Tanev also makes more.

The best option for The Habs is to wait until Tanev is traded and then see whats out there. If it isnt worth it then they can wait until next years deadline.....Same as they did with Monahan.....

Last edited:
Reactions: viceroy and CDN24

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Tanev is a UFA and Savard can be used for 2 playoff runs. Tanev also makes more.

The best option for The Habs is to wait until Tanev is traded and then see whats out there. If it isnt worth it then they can wait until next years deadline.....Same as they did with Monahan.....

That’s assuming they’re remotely comparable. Tanev is a somewhat significantly underpaid 2/3, while Savard is a slightly overpaid 5. The extra year isn’t a bonus when he’s not worth his contract. But as I said, with retention, his value raises dramatically. At 1.75 per, he’s underpaid and I can easily see a contender giving up a 1st like Tampa did with Goodrow and Coleman

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS

When I say really good, if they didn't have the youthful depth they have I think he makes the Habs last fall. Granted it was pre-season, but his puck poise was visibly ahead of guys like Barron and Harris.

I situation is different of course, but given MSL's already strong work with youth I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they thought it best to have him in Montreal.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
That’s assuming they’re remotely comparable. Tanev is a somewhat significantly underpaid 2/3, while Savard is a slightly overpaid 5. The extra year isn’t a bonus when he’s not worth his contract. But as I said, with retention, his value raises dramatically. At 1.75 per, he’s underpaid and I can easily see a contender giving up a 1st like Tampa did with Goodrow and Coleman
Tanev plays 19:45 a game is and 4th in average TOI on the Flames (trailing Weeger who averages 22:05 minutes a game) but he's a 2/3D. Savard plays 20:33 a game and is 3RD in average TOI behind Guhle who plays 20:52, and he's a 5D? Well. That's a take I guess

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Tanev is not a 2/3 dman.

Reactions: rve24 and viceroy

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If your team is playing the current version of Tanev as a 2D then you aren’t a playoff team.

Habs would absolutely retain on Savard which makes his contract more enticing.

Jack Spider

Jun 2, 2022
Apparently Reinbacher is coming to NA in a couple of weeks max. Trading Savard now would make sense. Call up Barron or Mailloux - whichever is more deserving and run the other one and Reinbacher in your top 4 in Laval.

At 50% retained, I expect a 1st + B prospect or a close to being ready F prospect with top 6 potential and a 2nd round pick.
Is he? Reinbacher has missed swiss league practices/meetings for work and high school. I hope he doesn’t want to go to university.

habsterr

Jan 5, 2014
Edmonton
I'd expect fair value for Savard with no retain. He got pretty good value to Tampa a few years ago.

1st rounder
B level prospect
Cap dump

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad