RD Colton Parayko (2012, 86th, STL)

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Post game clip from him last night when he scored 2 goals. Funny part at the 01:15 mark, he referred to the Oilers as "we" haha(he grew up just outside of Edmonton)...

http://video.blues.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=-5&id=846488&lang=en&navid=DL|STL|home

Had a smile/tried to contain smile on his face during majority of interview. Such a good player and good kid. Blues have a gem with him
I agree. Seems like a good kid. Nice to see someone enjoying his life so much. The Blues has an amazing rookie dman pair in Parayko&Edmundson.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
New Shea Weber?

Who knows haha. Cant rule that out. 1.5 years ago I could probaly be quoted as saying hed be a fringe #4 in 3-4 years. Hes already tracking to be that in his rookie year. Hes a guy who can exceed expectations at each stage. Thatd be totally awesome if he did, but even if he topped at at great #3 you cant be upset

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I see him having 1st pair upside easily, except as a righty, he’s obviously behind Pietro and Shattenkirk. I feel he may make the latter expandable by the time his contract is up. Guys a beauty

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I see him having 1st pair upside easily, except as a righty, he’s obviously behind Pietro and Shattenkirk. I feel he may make the latter expandable by the time his contract is up. Guys a beauty

Why would we let him go.... he's on his ELC for 2yrs and then a RFA. At no point do we let him go, assuming he hits potential, Shattenkirk would be the one to trade IF managment wants to maintain handiness

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Why would we let him go.... he's on his ELC for 2yrs and then a RFA. At no point do we let him go, assuming he hits potential, Shattenkirk would be the one to trade IF managment wants to maintain handiness

The "latter" does refer to Shattenkirk.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

haha he is talking about Shattenkirk

Umingmak

Oct 12, 2014
Wildeye Brewing
Grew up with this kid's brother. Let's just say that the two of them are night and day. Glad to see Colton doing well and making his hometown proud.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Grew up with this kid's brother. Let's just say that the two of them are night and day. Glad to see Colton doing well and making his hometown proud.

eh not really, both are doing well in different areas

Oilers home opener tonight and big game for McDavid, Parayko should see a healthy dose, so lets see if he can keep him in check like he did 1st game

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Post game clip from him last night when he scored 2 goals. Funny part at the 01:15 mark, he referred to the Oilers as "we" haha(he grew up just outside of Edmonton)...

http://video.blues.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=-5&id=846488&lang=en&navid=DL|STL|home

Had a smile/tried to contain smile on his face during majority of interview. Such a good player and good kid. Blues have a gem with him

Yup, seems like a great kid. Hard not to root for a guy like that.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
New Shea Weber?

That's a little far. He is a stud though. No question about that. He was double shifted in the game in Minnesota. Blues didn't complete the comeback, but he tried to put the team on his back. Pretty obvious that Hitch trusts him, which is pretty remarkable for a 22 year old fresh out of college. Looks like a gem.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
New Shea Weber?

you never know... I don't think Parayko has the mean-ness that Weber has but they both can run a PP, both have extremely hard shots, both right handed and both are huge... sure there are some similarities but they are both their own players.

I do see Parayko putting up similar offensive numbers as Weber though

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
you never know... I don't think Parayko has the mean-ness that Weber has but they both can run a PP, both have extremely hard shots, both right handed and both are huge... sure there are some similarities but they are both their own players.

I do see Parayko putting up similar offensive numbers as Weber though

I think he means more of the career arc. Weber was a late second round pick with meh WHL numbers and slowly be surely developed into a top pairing guy. But they share similarities in size and shot too

Not same draft range, but his NHL development reminds me a bit of Hampus lindholm, who kind of came out of nowhere as a rookie. he was a high pick, but still walked on to a good team and was #4 from day 1

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
I think he means more of the career arc. Weber was a late second round pick with meh WHL numbers and slowly be surely developed into a top pairing guy. But they share similarities in size and shot too

Not same draft range, but his NHL development reminds me a bit of Hampus lindholm, who kind of came out of nowhere as a rookie. he was a high pick, but still walked on to a good team and was #4 from day 1

How does being drafted 6th overall compare to being drafted in the 3rd round?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
How does being drafted 6th overall compare to being drafted in the 3rd round?

Not draft position, just the ability to come out of relative nowhere pre reg season and then grab a spot on a deep team. Hampus was drafted much higher, but he was seen as a reach and wasnt highly regarded

Cant think of too many guys recently who did that from rounds 2 and on, so Hampus is my closest recently

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Not draft position, just the ability to come out of relative nowhere pre reg season and then grab a spot on a deep team. Hampus was drafted much higher, but he was seen as a reach and wasnt highly regarded

Cant think of too many guys recently who did that from rounds 2 and on, so Hampus is my closest recently

Ya I like seeing a prospect that comes in and wins a roster spot out of the blue and is instantly playing huge mins.

One player that kind of came to mind that recently did this was Damon Severson on NJD. He is a very special player too but obviously their d group isn't as deep as blues and ducks

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Petteri Lindbohm. St. Louis is killing it with late drafting for defense. He was a 6th round pick.

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
hes so poised in both zones. there's been a couple times that hes made mistakes by thinking the game was a bit slower than he thought but overall playing really well. doesnt chase the puck in the D-zone, isn't afraid to shoot in the o-zone and his shot gets through, uses his huge size very well even though he doesnt make huge hits. really excited about him.

RickyR

Dec 8, 2013
Watched him closely tonight for the first time. He's going to be a great player. The offensive instincts are impressive. Very impressive that he doesn't have second thoughts about jumping into a rush. He's pretty darn fast for such a big guy too.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
It's crazy to see a huge kid like this QBing the PP haha.... he is so impressive so far and I really do think if it wasn't for this weirdly huge offensive rookie crop in the NHL, he could already be talked about as a potential Calder candidate.

I think he will be the best rookie dman this year though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad