Player Discussion (RD) Brock Faber (Certified Stud)

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Dean makes up the lineup. If we are more or less set with our playoff spot, i will be impressed with any lineup that keeps Brodin and Spurgeon rested and healthy.

I don't know if Faber is ready, but migod, could we use a solid RHD. Klingberg has obvious talent, but calling him an adventure defensively is putting it mildly.

I think if Billy wants to see Brock he simply tells Dean to play him

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
While Faber hasn’t been promised a game, it wouldn’t be surprising. If the Wild don’t have a chance to win the Central (their recent 0-2-1 streak and the fact Colorado and Dallas won’t stop winning has impeded that hope), it would make sense to start resting defensemen. After losing center Joel Eriksson Ek last week to a leg injury that has sidelined him week to week, the Wild have to be worried about possible injuries to top-4 defensemen Jared Spurgeon, Jonas Brodin and Matt Dumba.
Faber’s parents are expected to attend Tuesday’s home game against Winnipeg, so perhaps that’s a tell. Or at a minimum, debuting him in the regular-season finale in Nashville on Thursday makes a lot of sense. He is eligible to play in the playoffs if needed.

Southern Minny

Nov 29, 2021
If you're burning a year of his contract, then by all means see what you got, give some guys a rest, he may be better than some right now. who knows.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
If you're burning a year of his contract, then by all means see what you got, give some guys a rest, he may be better than some right now. who knows.

Plus it’s important to give him a reality check and let him know what the next level is like. If he’s the right kind of player that will be the motivation to take the next step and work harder.

Reactions: Southern Minny

Roman Maroni

Prepared to be underwhelmed
Sponsor
Dec 7, 2019
Faber……Faber…..Faber

Jumping on the bandwagon. Well, you know what I mean!
79910D5C-8DDA-42EE-94BC-B5FC52FB1171.gif

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Goligoski, Merrill, Addison and Klingberg Is already a lot of options for 3rd pair. I’m picturing that scene in “Miracle” where Eruzione and others tell Herb Brooks they don’t want the ringer from the U disrupting team chemistry.

Reactions: 57special

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Goligoski, Merrill, Addison and Klingberg Is already a lot of options for 3rd pair. I’m picturing that scene in “Miracle” where Eruzione and others tell Herb Brooks they don’t want the ringer from the U disrupting team chemistry.
Rest and injury insurance if you are planning on a long run mean integrating him can only be a good thing. He also plays a very different game than Addison and Klingberg, who both play the kind of game that can blow up if they are playing poorly, and while Merrill plays the traditional #6, its not like he has been playing at an exceptional level, I don't think Faber gets into the playoffs without a deep run happening, but even having him around is great experience for someone that the organization seems to have high expectations to contribute next season and in the future.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I don't think Faber gets into the playoffs without a deep run happening,
I go back to that Vegas series and the decision to not play Boldy at all on a team that was desperate for more scoring punch. Hard to see a path for Faber unless he just blows everyone away with his composure.

I do hope Evason is more flexible this postseason with his lineups. This is a very deep team and he has plenty of options for the bottom 6 and 3rd pair and even in net. His rigidity cost us against St. Louis & Vegas IMO

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I go back to that Vegas series and the decision to not play Boldy at all on a team that was desperate for more scoring punch. Hard to see a path for Faber unless he just blows everyone away with his composure.

I do hope Evason is more flexible this postseason with his lineups. This is a very deep team and he has plenty of options for the bottom 6 and 3rd pair and even in net. His rigidity cost us against St. Louis & Vegas IMO
I'm assuming you mean the 20-21 post season?

There's a vast difference between the Boldy and Faber situations.

Boldy hadn't really played in the NHL for much of the regular season. Bringing him up strictly for the playoffs would have put him in a situation to fail. One could argue that they should/could have brought him up before the post season.

With 2-3 (I'd have to look) games left in the post season, there's an opportunity for the team to try out Faber before the post season. I do NOT see Faber playing in the post season unless something goes really sideways, OR he REALLY impresses.

Not to mention they play different positions (obviously). As a defensemen, Faber can play a safe game and not really be a detriment to the team. If Boldy plays a safe game as a forward, he's literally negating the reason you stated. He's not really going to generate offense.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, they can really use a guy with Faber’s game. Just think it might be a while before he is an effective NHL’er….which is completely normal. What would be abnormal is if he was thrown into the NHL right away, and he excelled. Some young D can step right in and have an offensive impact. It’s playing D that is the big adjustment.

Hope I don’t come across as wishing Faber ill. I don’t…can’t wait to see the last of Merrill and Goligoski, and even Dumba. Blows my mind that Foligno and Dumba are the two guys picked to be assistant captains on this team. One guy is a marginal player, the other a guy full of mistakes who refuses to fix them.
Guess they both can drop the gloves, and Dean thinks that is the important thing, as opposed to playing hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Well, they can really use a guy with Faber’s game. Just think it might be a while before he is an effective NHL’er….which is completely normal. What would be abnormal is if he was thrown into the NHL right away, and he excelled. Some young D can step right in and have an offensive impact. It’s playing D that is the big adjustment.

Hope I don’t come across as wishing Faber ill. I don’t…can’t wait to see the last of Merrill and Goligoski, and even Dumba. Blows my mind that Foligno and Dumba are the two guys picked to be assistant captains on this team. One guy is a marginal player, the other a guy full of mistakes who refuses to fix them.
Guess they both can drop the gloves, and Dean thinks that is the important thing, as opposed to playing hockey.
That's not why they're captains and we both know it.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Both know what? Speak for yourself. I have no idea why those two are assistant captains.

They both arr very charadmatic and by all accounts, great guys. Dumba hasn't been as bad as you're making him out to be in a long time and Foligno is a very useful piece as well. Wouldn't be surprised if he is dealing with something.

But I get it, dean bad, guerin mean.

Last edited:

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Boldy hadn't really played in the NHL for much of the regular season. Bringing him up strictly for the playoffs would have put him in a situation to fail. One could argue that they should/could have brought him up before the post season.
I’m not saying the Faber situation is identical but Evason can’t get schooled for the 3rd straight postseason, not with all the options he has. If we lose to a hot goalie or a better team, that’s one thing but he has to be willing to make the proper adjustments this time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad