Player Discussion (RD) Brock Faber (Certified Stud)

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Nice defensive play springs Cooley and Snuggerud on a 2v0. One of the situations where the secondary assist is basically responsible for the goal.

Side note: I REALLY hope Ohgren is good.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Looks pretty solid. 6 game point streak as well.
Yeah. I don't think we secretly traded for Adam Fox 2.0 or anything, but I think he has decent offensive instincts, to go along with really solid defensive + 1st pass abilities.

Should be noted with his point totals, is that he gets zero PP time (even 2nd unit). The defenseman he's trailing in points (LaCombe) QBs the PP1 unit.

Surpassed his prior year point totals in 14 fewer games as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
81 on the gophers can shoot. Hope this doesn’t turn into another Ek vs Boeser debacle

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
81 on the gophers can shoot. Hope this doesn’t turn into another Ek vs Boeser debacle

I don't know, kinda looks like we won Ek vs Boeser at this point. Wouldn't mind winning Ohgren vs Snuggerud too.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Brackett does have a few balls in the air right now though:

Rossi/Lundell
Peart/Knies
Ohgren/Snuggerud
Wallstedt/skaters picked after him

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Rossi/Lundell
Peart/Knies
Ohgren/Snuggerud

This one still gets me more than any of the rest. Knies is a big bodied power forward with skill and grit, and we take the 5'11 left handed offensive defenseman. Knies would be a menace on a line with Boldy in the next few years, and Peart is gonna be competing with four other guys for his spot.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
This one still gets me more than any of the rest. Knies is a big bodied power forward with skill and grit, and we take the 5'11 left handed offensive defenseman. Knies would be a menace on a line with Boldy in the next few years, and Peart is gonna be competing with four other guys for his spot.
I found the problem

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Rossi/Lundell
Peart/Knies
Ohgren/Snuggerud

I don't see that one being much of an issue since Lambos was picked 6 picks later.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
*skaters picked between Wallstedt and Lambos.

And taking goalies in the 1st have their own unique issues.

I don't disagree with this at all. If Wallstedt doesn't turn into a solid NHL starter then it's going to be a bad pick in hindsight.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Rossi/Lundell
Peart/Knies
Ohgren/Snuggerud

Most would have selected Rossi over Lundell. Lundell was seen as more of a Koivu type of center, good at everything but not elite at anything. Rossi was seen as an elite center - top 15/30 in his prime that was ready for the NHL now. It's going to be hard to compare the two of them because of Rossi and his Covid injury.

Peart was a dumb pick. Don't care if he was in their top picks - with Brodin signed long term and with a bunch of left-handed defensemen already in the system and with defensemen not having a lot of slots, picking yet another left-handed defenseman was dumb.

Ohgren vs Snuggerud and Gaucher. Hard to tell at this point due to the different leagues.

Wallstedt is going to be a hard one to decide on because goaltenders have such a weird trajectory and a weird development path than many skaters.

Lambos vs whoever was picked after him.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I don't know, kinda looks like we won Ek vs Boeser at this point. Wouldn't mind winning Ohgren vs Snuggerud too.
I think we won it too, but it was endless bitching (i certainly played a part at one point)

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
Why doesn't Faber play on the PP? When I have watched him play, he seems like a good skater, passer, and is mobile. He seems relatively similar to Calen Addison in terms of not being a great shooter/big shot but can do everything else and see the ice well. I'm not sure if he has the same hips as Addison and what that means as a skater and the angles he can change... but at the college level?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Why doesn't Faber play on the PP? When I have watched him play, he seems like a good skater, passer, and is mobile. He seems relatively similar to Calen Addison in terms of not being a great shooter/big shot but can do everything else and see the ice well. I'm not sure if he has the same hips as Addison and what that means as a skater and the angles he can change... but at the college level?
Question of best use of his TOI. Gophers are already loaded with offensive talent, and Faber is needed for his ability to defend, and move the puck out of the zone. Lacombe is very talented offensively, but is known for making mistakes defensively.

He will probably find himself in the same situation on the wild, if he ever makes it that far. His value will be as a shutdown, puck moving D, rather than heading up the PP. Somewhere in between a RH Brodin, and a Spurgeon with size, both of which are pretty intriguing possibilities.

Oh, and btw, Peart has a higher PPG than Faber this year, and is also known for his defensive play.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Wildabeast

Jan 28, 2022
Faber looks unbelievable, honestly. He is absolutely ridiculous when it comes to speed / edgework. I have yet to see 1 player beat him this entire season on the defensive end. He is definitely skilled and more than capable of bringing offense as well; Gophers just don't need it from him w/ lacombe and all the offensive guys they have on the team.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Faber looks unbelievable, honestly. He is absolutely ridiculous when it comes to speed / edgework. I have yet to see 1 player beat him this entire season on the defensive end. He is definitely skilled and more than capable of bringing offense as well; Gophers just don't need it from him w/ lacombe and all the offensive guys they have on the team.
The whole defense is pretty impressive. Lacombe is big, and has unbelievable tools. Koester might be the best skater of all of them, but Johnson is right up there. Chesley looks rock solid, and is very strong for a first year player. Faber is probably the glue that holds them all together, but this is the best defense I've ever seen on a Gophers team.

Wildabeast

Jan 28, 2022
The whole defense is pretty impressive. Lacombe is big, and has unbelievable tools. Koester might be the best skater of all of them, but Johnson is right up there. Chesley looks rock solid, and is very strong for a first year player. Faber is probably the glue that holds them all together, but this is the best defense I've ever seen on a Gophers team.
I wish Lacombe played with the same intensity of those other guys.... he's a good dude, there is no question about it. But he does half a$$ it too much and it bites him a lot. Stuff that could hold him back from playing in the NHL.

Love chesley; grew up by me. He was always highly skilled but really tiny. Until he grew into a beast. Obv off topic for the thread but he was definitely struggling over-thinking little plays but seems to have gotten confident pretty quick.

But yeah, I love faber. He honestly might even stay next year too based on rumblings pre-season. I would be shocked just because of how good he is, but he doesn't seem to care about jumping into professional hockey until after he's graduated.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wish Lacombe played with the same intensity of those other guys.... he's a good dude, there is no question about it. But he does half a$$ it too much and it bites him a lot. Stuff that could hold him back from playing in the NHL.

Love chesley; grew up by me. He was always highly skilled but really tiny. Until he grew into a beast. Obv off topic for the thread but he was definitely struggling over-thinking little plays but seems to have gotten confident pretty quick.

But yeah, I love faber. He honestly might even stay next year too based on rumblings pre-season. I would be shocked just because of how good he is, but he doesn't seem to care about jumping into professional hockey until after he's graduated.
It would be a mistake for Faber to stay in college, especially considering his pro team plays about 10 miles away, and will have a spot open at RHD, more than likely. You can always get your college degree by going to school part time over the next few years.

Bdub

Mar 27, 2021
Is Faber good enough to jump into the lineup and produce in the playoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad