Player Discussion (RD) Brock Faber (Certified Stud)

Wabit

May 23, 2016
LA had Faber ~7 on their prospect list. Nuts.

That's about the same spot I have him for MN's prospect list. 3 D-men, 1 FWD, and 1 goalie ahead of him. He'll probably drop a couple more spots after the draft too.

Even at best he's 4th, behind Wallstedt, Rossi, and one of the LD.

Reactions: Minnesota and AKL

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
That's about the same spot I have him for MN's prospect list. 3 D-men, 1 FWD, and 1 goalie ahead of him. He'll probably drop a couple more spots after the draft too.

Even at best he's 4th, behind Wallstedt, Rossi, and one of the LD.

I have him in a fairly large interchangeable group that consists of Addison, O'Rourke, Hunt, Beckman and Khusnutdinov. After Rossi, Wallstedt and Lambos. And very possibly behind two more additions tomorrow.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I have him in a fairly large interchangeable group that consists of Addison, O'Rourke, Hunt, Beckman and Khusnutdinov. After Rossi, Wallstedt and Lambos. And very possibly behind two more additions tomorrow.

I have Faber well ahead of Beckman, Marat K, and Hunt.

Faber is exactly the same Peart imo.

Prior

Jan 18, 2020
I do not see Addison in the same light as others here. I also think he’s not overly long for this organization.

I would have the tiers as such:

Lambos
Faber

Peart

Hunt
Addison
ROR

Masters
Johansson
Warren

Reactions: MNRube

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
didn't we have three Captains one year? JEE, Kunin, and Kaprizov?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
How has he been looking at the WJC so far?
Best out of all our prospects. 2nd best Dman on USA, after Hughes, who might end up as a Tournament MVP. Mobile, steady on D, good with the puck, and contributes on offense. Seems smart.

Reactions: Blue Ox

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
How has he been looking at the WJC so far?
I only watched the game against the Swiss and also take this with a grain of salt as I just started following prospects and taking a deep dive into it, I also dont know too much about his game, So I dont know what to expect and what not to expect from him.

He had 2 points, a goal and a secondary assist

I didnt notice him all that much, compared to Bordeleau or Mazur (might be a forward thing compared to Dman Im not too sure yet) and even Luke Hughes and I dont think thats necessarily a bad thing either, Might just be his game

He seems smart with the puck, Especially In his own zone, Also seems like he always knows what to do with it as well, Didnt seem to make a lot of mistakes, If any

I didnt see him on the PP, Im not too sure If he has ever played on the PP or not so It may or may not be surprising

Played only a little bit on the PK, Im not too sure If Its game or not, So again It may or may not being too surprising

He had a nice goal off a face off near the blue line to re establish the lead against the Swiss, Didnt seem like there was too much mustard on the wrist shot but was a well placed shot through some traffic

He also didnt seem overly physical either, Maybe It was just the one game or the occasions where I noticed It but He seemed to shy away from it, Who knows, I could be completely off here

Just my uninformed .02 here, Take It as you will, Maybe another hoooman on here can gave you a much better analysis

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Kid is looking kind of ready, I think Faber will just step into the NHL without too much trouble, adding some nice depth and maybe being able to play above his age and allowing one of the older or less skilled defensemen to slide down a spot and really get back some of that defensive swagger we lost last season. Of course it would be nice to do that and score in bunches too but maybe we aren't there yet.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Even as a freshman in the NCAA this kid had off the charts game-sense in the defensive zone. The lack of offense is obvious but there is still some value in a player who defends and understands the game like he does. I think he can very easily have a career similar to Slavin (maybe with a bit less offense). I am convinced if things were the way they used to be and he was draft eligible after his freshman year he would have been a 1st rounder. His value was shown with the Wild targeting him in trade talks for a very good player in Fiala, he is going to be a good one for a long time for the Wild.

Reactions: MNRube

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Anyone who watches him regularly have any thoughts on the player? He's always looked good when I've seen him but the numbers make me wonder if he has enough offense to be more than a #4 defensman type.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I never know how to gauge when, or if, a NCAA player's game will translate to the NHL. Even going to the AHL is a jump that some can't make easily. From what I can see , he is a very competent all round college Dman, but there is little that makes me jump up and think that he will be ready to make the jump into the NHL next season, or at least out of training camp. He is a very young 2020(Aug B'day), so there is plenty of time for him to develop. Right now, he is an ordinary, excellent player. Everything vg+, but no one skill that jumps out.

I would think that Daemon Hunt is just as far along as Faber, if not farther, and would have as good as, if not a better chance of making the team next year. I like his skating style...seems very connected to the ice and mobile. Also makes good decisions. He doesn't look out of place at all in the AHL...in past years his playing time was truncated due to injury, or the pandemic, so it was hard to know what he was.

Neither player seems to get any PP TOI. In Hunt's case, i think that's pretty reprehensible, as he has some talent, and it's pretty obvious that some of the other guys playing in his place are AHL lifers(Mermis and Hicketts) and are never going to be in St. Paul for any length of time. I get that Motzko doesn't feel obligated to the Wild as far as developing Faber's PP skills.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
I’ve seen some analytics rubes on Twitter speculating that he’ll be NHL-ready next season.

I have my doubts, but I’ll admit I haven’t watched him.

It is nice to see his point totals trending up.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Anyone who watches him regularly have any thoughts on the player? He's always looked good when I've seen him but the numbers make me wonder if he has enough offense to be more than a #4 defensman type.
I've really like what I've seen from him. I'd be pretty thrilled if he was our own 2nd round pick... but he wasn't. So as 50% of the return for HIM, I'm still underwhelmed, even I do think he can be a very good pro.

Skates well, and always seems to make the right decision.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Might be a lazy comparison, but:

Ryan McDonagh in NCAA
Age 18: .30 ppg
Age 19: .44 ppg
Age 20: .42 ppg

Brock Faber in NCAA
Age 18: .44 ppg
Age 19: .44 ppg
Age 20: .64 ppg (so far)

Both 6'1". Both more known for defensive reliability than their offense.

Obviously that would be a pretty high NHL ceiling, but I think there's enough similarities there to keep an eye on.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Anybody know, if he does turn pro after this season, is he in line for a 1 year or 2 year deal (assuming they burn a year)?

Should be a 3 year contract as he'll be 21 or under on September 15th. That goes for if he signs this summer for next year, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad