Player Discussion (RD) Brock Faber (Certified Stud)

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
xga/xgf are just a % based off shot type/location. It's a more refined of corsi is all.

So in a way it indirectly speaks to quality of competition. Faber is playing against much better players than Merrill, it's going to be more difficult to limit those shots from the other team and get them for your team. Still not sure what insight to take from it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
So in a way it indirectly speaks to quality of competition. Faber is playing against much better players than Merrill, it's going to be more difficult to limit those shots from the other team and get them for your team. Still not sure what insight to take from it.

But it's not just Faber (or whoever), it's all 5 guys on the ice. Faber could have nothing to do with the play but it still counts the stats for/against him. It a team/system stat not really an individual stat for me.

faberbr02

faberbr02

This is the visual form of the xGA with/without Faber for MN. I'm not trying to take anything away from Faber, but there isn't much difference with or without him in the xGA category. It's more the Wild's team systems (which Faber fits very well) than an individual player. It's the outlier players that don't match the team good/bad that I notice.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Somebody smart just needs to create a stat like QB Rating for defense. Something that contains ~8 different stats mashed together that nobody really understands but everybody accepts as a single number.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Somebody smart just needs to create a stat like QB Rating for defense. Something that contains ~8 different stats mashed together that nobody really understands but everybody accepts as a single number.

It could be possibly be done for goalies, not so much skaters. Hockey just is too much of a team sport to separate the players individually. The QB ranking systems only really account for the passing plays, so 50%-60% of the offensive plays.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It could be possibly be done for goalies, not so much skaters. Hockey just is too much of a team sport to separate the players individually. The QB ranking systems only really account for the passing plays, so 50%-60% of the offensive plays.

AI will figure it out

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd say that's pretty fair, since that's where the QBs would distinguish themselves. Unless they can't hand the ball off to save their life.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
I am a believer. If there's any silver lining to this bad season, it was him. He might still be growing (literally) at his age. Watching him standing next to Gorg he sure looked tall (yes I know he was on skates)

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
I know Bedard will win the Calder. And I know Chicago is terrible; that he’s a rookie.
I know +\- doesn’t paint the entire picture.

But good lord. He’s minus 36? Thirty. Six?!
I had to do a double take when I saw that.

I’m trying to convince myself that would somehow level the playing field for Faber. I know it won’t, but alas.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's really a trip reading through the Calder thread with the Bedard fans. I get that he's on a terrible team without much help, but in what should be a discussion thread about a really tight race between two players, the Bedard fans will actually mock you for bringing up the fact that he's a complete liability defensively. Like really really bad. As if it's irrelevant to a center and shouldn't detract from his Calder campaign. All they look at is the points he scores with the roster they have and assume any shortcoming is overblown and must be the fault of his team. It's really sad.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's really a trip reading through the Calder thread with the Bedard fans. I get that he's on a terrible team without much help, but in what should be a discussion thread about a really tight race between two players, the Bedard fans will actually mock you for bringing up the fact that he's a complete liability defensively. Like really really bad. As if it's irrelevant to a center and shouldn't detract from his Calder campaign. All they look at is the points he scores with the roster they have and assume any shortcoming is overblown and must be the fault of his team. It's really sad.
It's a hard award for a defenseman to win.

Forwards have to be only be good at 1 thing. Defensemen have to be great at two. And even then, it's most likely a toss up.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
What were the biggest factors that pushed him into the second Rd? I see the Wild even had two picks prior to him being drafted that they still let him slide.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Excuse me? Out there in meaningless games at the end of the year…

Nothing you can do with cracked ribs. It's all about pain tolerance on what he can handle. 2 months is generally the healing time, so they're probably good to go by the time they were eliminated anyway.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Excuse me? Out there in meaningless games at the end of the year…

Wow...fractured ribs? I mean, you just tape them up, but I can't imagine the pain when you are breathing in and out heavily, never mind taking hits and twisting your rib cage.

Nothing you can do with cracked ribs. It's all about pain tolerance on what he can handle. 2 months is generally the healing time, so they're probably good to go by the time they were eliminated anyway.
If they weren't getting reinjured constantly. Normal people do this thing called "rest", so they can "heal".

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Wow...fractured ribs? I mean, you just tape them up, but I can't imagine the pain when you are breathing in and out heavily, never mind taking hits and twisting your rib cage.

If they weren't getting reinjured constantly. Normal people do this thing called "rest", so they can "heal".
I cracked my ribs playing goalie when a guy flying in lost his footing and kicked me in the chest. I played the rest of that game, but did not play again until they were healed. It was super painful going into my butterfly. I have mad respect for Faber's toughness.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad