RD Adam Fox (2016, 66th, CGY; traded to CAR; traded to NYR)

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Put fox in the same role on colorado qbing a PP and im pretty sure he would be doing even better than makar. I think that fox has a better offensive upside. I think makar will be a more complete player but if were talking points only, id take fox because of his unique vision.
What's scarier about Makar is that he probably hasn't reached his potential yet and we're seeing him nights out being our best D. He has basically been our secondary scoring while being stellar on the backend. Right now I'm pretty sure on paper that Rangers PP's firepower is probably close to the Avs. We have a Mackinnon-Kadri-Donskoi-Burakovsky-Makar which usually consist into Mack and Makar doing their thing while Donskoi await for the rebound. So no I don't think he would be doing what Makar has been doing in our PP maybe earlier where his confidence wasn't there yet. As for the offensive upside IMO Fox has a better chance of being a more complete player than be better offensively than him but that's my opinion though.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
How big of a homer can you possibly be....

Slight edge offensively? Are you ****ing kidding? One is barely producing 0.5 points per game while the other is literally doing something that hasn't been done in 40 years.

But ya, slight edge offensively. Jesus.

Fox was pretty good early on. The points just weren't coming but his defensive play was solid. Makar is better but not as much as some people think.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
What's scarier about Makar is that he probably hasn't reached his potential yet and we're seeing him nights out being our best D. He has basically been our secondary scoring while being stellar on the backend. Right now I'm pretty sure on paper that Rangers PP's firepower is probably close to the Avs. We have a Mackinnon-Kadri-Donskoi-Burakovsky-Makar which usually consist into Mack and Makar doing their thing while Donskoi await for the rebound. So no I don't think he would be doing what Makar has been doing in our PP maybe earlier where his confidence wasn't there yet. As for the offensive upside IMO Fox has a better chance of being a more complete player than be better offensively than him but that's my opinion though.

Maybe the powerplays are equal with Zibby in the lineup.

Makar is better. I'm happy fox can even be mentioned in the same breath as him (and Q. Hughes). But we have up 2 seconds for Fox and Makar was a top 5 pick. Hughes was a top 10 pick. Rangers got a stud without having a top 10 pick.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Maybe the powerplays are equal with Zibby in the lineup.

Makar is better. I'm happy fox can even be mentioned in the same breath as him (and Q. Hughes). But we have up 2 seconds for Fox and Makar was a top 5 pick. Hughes was a top 10 pick. Rangers got a stud without having a top 10 pick.
Weird times where Kakko was favorite before it started now Fox might even be the dark horse for Calder. Needless to say that you got a great player while giving so little for him.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I know we aren’t even a quarter way thru the season but three d men could be the favorites right now. Necas also looking pretty good lately/flying under the radar.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How big of a homer can you possibly be....

Slight edge offensively? Are you ****ing kidding? One is barely producing 0.5 points per game while the other is literally doing something that hasn't been done in 40 years.

But ya, slight edge offensively. Jesus.

I explained it pretty clearly. Colorado stacks their lineup to inflate the point totals of their best players, so that’s why I specifically mentioned how their totals would look on the same team.

And I didn’t say Fox would score more or that he’s going to be a better player. Pointing to point totals for an Avalanche player is a weak argument. That team is notorious for inflating the totals of their best players. Fox is a third pair defensemen on the Rangers. His numbers are not going to be inflated.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
I have both Fox and Makar on my fantasy hockey team so I love them both.

I have watched Makar very closely all the way through college and I thought a couple of years ago that he had the skill set to eventually be the top scoring dman in the entire league. He is definitely showing this now and he is still only getting warmed up. Wait until he gets a couple of seasons under his belt. As for Colorado stacking their power play, almost every team does this. Makar has actually been lighting it up more since Rantanan and Landeskog have gone down to injury. Makar started off a bit slow (but was still getting his points) as I think he was just getting comfortable and also deferring too much as he probably thought I have all these great players around me I should not be shooting so much or no need to take tooo many chances. Since the big boys have gone down he knows he needs to step up for them to win.

I haven't seen Fox as much, but he absolutely killed it in college scoring at quite a higher points per game pace than Makar did last year. Everything I am reading is showing that he is very cerebral, but so is Makar and Makar's skill set is what sets him apart. Cale is lightening fast, solid as a rock and has a better shot. Fox smarts is what puts him over the top, but I don't think he has the physical tools to compete with Makar.

I am incredibly happy that I have both players in my hockey pool.

Quinn Hughes gets so much hype, but I think Fox is and will be better. I live in Vancouver so I watch Hughes a lot and hear what everyone says about him. Hughes has incredible edges and skating maneuvarabilility and his shot has improved greatly (muffin before), but he is quite weak in his own zone when he does not have the puck on his stick. He is high risk, high reward. Not to say Hughes is bad by any means as I think he will most likely become the best dynamic offensive dman the Canucks ever had.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I explained it pretty clearly. Colorado stacks their lineup to inflate the point totals of their best players, so that’s why I specifically mentioned how their totals would look on the same team.

And I didn’t say Fox would score more or that he’s going to be a better player. Pointing to point totals for an Avalanche player is a weak argument. That team is notorious for inflating the totals of their best players. Fox is a third pair defensemen on the Rangers. His numbers are not going to be inflated.
Matt Calvert and Jonas Donskoi play on the 1st line. Stacks their lineup? How about not posting about things you have no idea about?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Avs players top 5 average time per game on PP this season: Mackinnon, Kadri, Rantanen, Landeskog and Makar.

Idk, to me that sounds like avs stack their PP and of course they use other forwards, if some of those players are injured...

It's normal in the NHL.
Yeah, NHL team tries to win games. Quite out of the ordinary. I have no idea what's the next nonsensical theory Buchnevich will come up with.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Matt Calvert and Jonas Donskoi play on the 1st line. Stacks their lineup? How about not posting about things you have no idea about?

Your first line is Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen. You are purposely being dishonest. I never said it’s a bad thing either, but trying to say Makar has a higher PPG doesn’t adequately account for the fact that Fox plays 3rd pair, 6th among defensemen in TOI per and has played half the season on both PP units, while Makar is third in TOI per for Colorado’s defense with PP1 all season.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Your first line is Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen. You are purposely being dishonest. I never said it’s a bad thing either, but trying to say Makar has a higher PPG doesn’t adequately account for the fact that Fox plays 3rd pair, 6th among defensemen in TOI per and has played half the season on both PP units, while Makar is third in TOI per for Colorado’s defense with PP1 all season.
Rantanen and Landeskog have been injured for quite a while oh wise one. Keep posting nonsense though.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Yup, literally clueless.

At least do even a second of research before spouting complete nonsense. The Avs top line is Calvert - Mackinnon - Donskoi.

And news flash: Good players play more minutes. Makar is playing big minutes BECAUSE HE'S A SPECIAL PLAYER. It has nothing to do with trying to inflate his points.

Man oh man what is with certain Rangers fans and the completely delusional shit they come up with. Wow.

Reactions: TeddyBare

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013

Landeskog and Rantanen have been out for the last 7 and 9 games. Makar has 8 points in his last 7 games (Same amount as Fox's point total in 16) and 10 points in his last 9.
If Fox is so good why isn't he playing on the first powerplay or a higher pairing? Maybe, just maybe Makar is playing those minutes because he is good enough to play them not because Bednar is forcing ice time on him so you lose an argument on the internet.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

AVs are ravaged with injuries. Rants missed half the season and Landy is nearly the same. Makar has been lighting up the points AFTER Landy and Rants went down.

College you can't even compare when Fox played on the most stacked team in college and Makar joined the worst team in the country that only reached the playoffs twice in their history. Not only did he beat Fox head to head, he led them to their first NCAA Finals. He easily won every single individual award by his peers.

Makar is running away with the Rookie scoring and 3rd overall in DMen scoring. He is beating Fox in every offensive category and has the higher +/- and plays on the 2nd line. Hughes is a level below and will also be a special player leading a rebuilt team. Fox is playing sheltered 3rd line minutes against easier competition and should have better numbers.

Doubt you'll find anyone beyond NYR fans that believes Fox is better than Makar or Hughes. It really isn't that close.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
AVs are ravaged with injuries. Rants missed half the season and Landy is nearly the same. Makar has been lighting up the points AFTER Landy and Rants went down.

College you can't even compare when Fox played on the most stacked team in college and Makar joined the worst team in the country that only reached the playoffs twice in their history. Not only did he beat Fox head to head, he led them to their first NCAA Finals. He easily won every single individual award by his peers.

Makar is running away with the Rookie scoring and 3rd overall in DMen scoring. He is beating Fox in every offensive category and has the higher +/- and plays on the 2nd line. Hughes is a level below and will also be a special player leading a rebuilt team. Fox is playing sheltered 3rd line minutes against easier competition and should have better numbers.

Doubt you'll find anyone beyond NYR fans that believes Fox is better than Makar or Hughes. It really isn't that close.

Whoever told you Harvard is the most stacked team in college is completely out to lunch

Reactions: UnSandvich

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

:laugh: What??? Do some research since you are completely out to lunch.

Fox scored 48 points in 33 games, the next 3 players scored 31, 29, and 23 points.
Makar scored 49 points in 41 games, the next 3 players scored 47, 42, and 40 points.

Fox was the offense on Havard, Makar had plenty of other guys putting up offense.

Bravo on your argument.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Whoever told you Harvard is the most stacked team in college is completely out to lunch

Harvard was ranked in the Top 3 all season and among the favorites this season. Fox had a huge team advantage over Makar that mostly carried his team to their high ranking. His outstanding performance reflected the voting for Hobey Baker.

Fox is a decent player, but not at the same level as Makar/Hughes.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Harvard was ranked in the Top 3 all season and among the favorites this season. Fox had a huge team advantage over Makar that mostly carried his team to their high ranking. His outstanding performance reflected the voting for Hobey Baker.

Harvard wasnt even ranked till the January Rankings and they weren't ranked top 3 ONCE all season like your claim, not even remotely close. The highest they got was I believe 11
2018–19 NCAA Division I men's ice hockey rankings - Wikipedia

Have a look for yourself
so whoever told you that, like i said is talking out of his you know what.
And again they weren't a preseason favorite this year, as long as the NCHC exists, they wouldnt have been.

Last edited:

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
:laugh: What??? Do some research since you are completely out to lunch.

Fox scored 48 points in 33 games, the next 3 players scored 31, 29, and 23 points.
Makar scored 49 points in 41 games, the next 3 players scored 47, 42, and 40 points.

Fox was the offense on Havard, Makar had plenty of other guys putting up offense.

Bravo on your argument.

So explain the large discrepancy in performance this season?

Fox was comparable or possibly better in college than Makar, the numbers should be closer. Hughes is also performing better on a terrible team that is overachieving with his efforts. Makar leading to the draft was ranked the top non-NHL drafted player in the world.

Makar is favoured by Analysts & Scouts to win Rookie of the Year. You might feel differently, but the NHL performance thus far seems to support he is the better player.

Create a Poll on HF on selecting which is the better player Makar/Hughes/Fox, voting is not going to be close.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Laughs at Fox being the product of a superior offense compared to Makar.

Having said that, I have Makar significantly ahead of Fox and the same with Hughes as well.

Fox is fantastic, but his skating keeps him from the upside the other two are showing.

(I’m a Rangers fan)

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

The 19-11-3 team that finished 4th in the ECAC was ranked top 3 all season and one of the most dominant teams in college hockey? I think you should sit this one out

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So explain the large discrepancy in performance this season?

Fox was comparable or possibly better in college than Makar, the numbers should be closer. Hughes is also performing better on a terrible team that is overachieving with his efforts. Makar leading to the draft was ranked the top non-NHL drafted player in the world.

Makar is favoured by Analysts & Scouts to win Rookie of the Year. You might feel differently, but the NHL performance thus far seems to support he is the better player.

Create a Poll on HF on selecting which is the better player Makar/Hughes/Fox, voting is not going to be close.

The large discrepancy in the first 8 games you mean? Sure. Fox was adjusting to the NHL level, Makar got a little adjustment period last season when the played in the playoffs. So it took Fox about 8 games to get settled into the NHL and since then he's putting up just under the PPG ratio as Makar over the last 8 games while playing equally just as good defense if not better. Anything else? Should we get into which team has more offensive firepower or we will leave that one out? That only works with your NCAA argument right? (which you completely wrong about as well)

These 2 players have had almost identical developmental curves in the same league prior to the NHL and now having similar rookie seasons, i'm sorry if you don't want to hear that.

Reactions: lilmaxo

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2