RD Adam Boqvist, London Knights - 8th overall 2018

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Just don’t love it. He’s far away. Struggled in the SEL. If you wanted a project, I felt Kravtsov had more upside. Would have loved to move back and get Denisenko. I think Boqvist is 3 years out.

While I agree about the time frame, his low TOI in the SHL makes his stats very misleading if you just look at games played. I expect Boqvist to explode statistically in Brynäs once he gets first pairing minutes and actual PP time. That is, if the concussions aren't going to affect him.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Wanted Wahlstrom but this pick can turn out to be good. Will probably be with another generation of players though, we'll see.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Forsling - Boqvist
Carlsson - Jokiharju
Beaudin - Mitchell

Likely never gonna see that but that gives you some perspective of the potential of our Dmen. I think that mesh well on paper.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
From the Hockey News ( re concussions ) :

"Staying healthy would help, too. Boqvist sustained two concussions this past season and one the year prior, though he said he hasn’t experienced any lingering effects. The son of a coach, he’s also the younger brother of New Jersey Devils second-rounder Jesper Boqvist, so there are some nice bloodlines there. Given how the defenseman plays, it’s probably not surprising who his NHL influence is, though the kid also wants to be his own player.
“I try to play (like) Adam Boqvist,” he said. “But of course I look up to Erik Karlsson; how he plays and everything.”
In a draft that is flush with talented defensemen, some team is going to get a very nice prospect in Boqvist. If he happens to slide because of the skilled blueliners ahead of him, it’s not so much an indictment of his play as it is a bonus for the franchise that does call his name out tonight."

So 3 concussions ... of course he is going to say he has no lingering effects but I am still concerned. I like the pick in relation to the potential for a home run with this kid ( albeit 3-5 years from now ) but he is not going to help with this aging core so are we looking to rebuild?
Oh and Stan .. when are you going to take a C?! Round 7?!!

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Three concussions in two years is a huge red flag. Troublesome to say the least. Definitely talented offensively, but by all accounts needs a lot of work defensively.

Lots of dmen in the pipeline now...too many of them same type? Too many overall? Leaves Murphy as our only physical presence. Don’t care what the trend is regarding offensive dmen, but still have to have someone big and strong (with skill of course, for those who will jump in and paint the broad brush of big=slow-footed) who can belly up to the big skilled forwards coming into the league.

Anyway, would have preferred Wahlstrom in that spot, with a center at 27. Perhaps, as I said a week or two ago, we can get a second from Montreal for Anisimov and a late rounder, and pick up Wise.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Three concussions in two years is a huge red flag. Troublesome to say the least. Definitely talented offensively, but by all accounts needs a lot of work defensively.

Lots of dmen in the pipeline now...too many of them same type? Too many overall? Leaves Murphy as our only physical presence. Don’t care what the trend is regarding offensive dmen, but still have to have someone big and strong (with skill of course, for those who will jump in and paint the broad brush of big=slow-footed) who can belly up to the big skilled forwards coming into the league.

Anyway, would have preferred Wahlstrom in that spot, with a center at 27. Perhaps, as I said a week or two ago, we can get a second from Montreal for Anisimov and a late rounder, and pick up Wise.
Would be great to get Monteal's 2nd to pick up Wise or a similar player!

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Awesome, finally get a pick in the top ten then go after a guy with concussion issues, one or two more concussions and this kid is most likely done, great job Stanley :)

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
It will be interesting to see not just which of Boqvist Bouchard or Dobson plays an impact role in the NHL first (the immediate or soon help angle)but even more impractical, which has the greatest career impact. ..because we had our choice of any of the three RD and we chose small over large and 3 concussions over no concussions ...so maybe He is the next Karlsson but he could be only the next Jake Gardiner ...We will not know for 3-5 years how he really turns out ..but if Bouchard or Dobson impact far earlier and also prove better defensively,then Boqvist had better be Karlsson of Norris Tage. ..not the Karlsson of last season who struggled (albeit back from his injury which obviously meant he was never at full recovery and might never recover hiscspeed) ...Edmonton cannot believe their luck getting Bouchard at #10 and NYI incredulous they got Whalstrom and Dobson because NYR surprised with taking Kravtsov at #9... ...all because Montreal taking Kotkaniemi at #3 and Arizona surprising everyone by taking Hayton at #5 pushed down some expected to go much earlier ...do Hawks could have had any of those going 8 9 10 11 or12 and of these 5 obvious BPA guys remaining we chose Boqvist as the best according to Stan's list ..Stan had better be correct or at least 3nd in greatest career impact from this group of five...If he is just 3rd of these 5 then Stan gets a mere padding grade on this..but if Boqvist is the 2nd worst of then or Hortons the worst of then,then he really blew it .But who expects Stan and Kelley to still be there as GM and Head of Amateur Scouting in 5 years when we will know if we made the right decision or not?It seems we went for upside potential..but probably made the riskiest choice ..All have done flaws or issues despite their talent .but when you are small it will always be an issue ..whereas maybe the others can more easily fix some of their issues...

Reactions: BK and BobbyJet

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
About the same number of concussions Jonathan Toews had coming out in his draft year. But hey, keep on with the narrative. Kid is a freakin beast.

They do medical exams on these kids so it is not like they are picking blind. I am willing to bet most hockey players unfortunately have sustained a concussion or had their brain rattled enough to impact them by the time they are 18.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Would have preferred Rasmus Sandin @ 27 ... Sandin was Boqvist D partner .... If Hawks had taken Sandin they could have developed as a D pair together and eased their North American transition / familiarity and game

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
They do medical exams on these kids so it is not like they are picking blind. I am willing to bet most hockey players unfortunately have sustained a concussion or had their brain rattled enough to impact them by the time they are 18.
Of course they have. It’s just more under the microscope these days (and rightfully so).

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I think Bouchard is the first to the NHL as the Oilers need him but long term he has the lowest ceiling to me. Ceiling wise it s Boqvist -> Dobson -> Bouchard but the risk is reversed.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I like it. Joki and Mitchell are looking like safe bets to at the very least be solid NHLers. like many others said, this could be our superstar. Can never have too much depth at one position. Worst case scenario we pull a Nashville with Jones and move one of them

Spot on. Boqvist should be a legit #1, if not a superstar. Wanted Wahlstrom, but am completely good with our choice.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Forsling - Boqvist
Carlsson - Jokiharju
Beaudin - Mitchell

Likely never gonna see that but that gives you some perspective of the potential of our Dmen. I think that mesh well on paper.

That D looks great. Something, something, the waiting is the hardest part.

Reactions: migi

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I know the game is starting to lean this way of the smaller PMD players, but between the Knights and Caps, was there a dman under 6 feet playing top 4 minutes for either team? did either team have a guy under 6'0?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad