RD Adam Boqvist, London Knights - 8th overall 2018

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Boqvist>Dobson>Bouchard. Surprised they passed up Wahlstrom but they maybe they see Jokiharju and Mitchell as having same ceiling as Dobson/Bouchard but Boqvist has superstar potential. And there’s zero chance his opportunity to play on the Hawks is three years out. He’ll get games by 2019 at the latest imo. Props to Stan though. His job security is in the air, could have easily traded the 8th and went for a roster player.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Boqvist has great hands, excellent skating and is a probable high-offensive D-man. His D needs work --- but so too does Dobson. So... we will see how it rolls. I was expecting Wahlstrom. Hmnn... No complaints, just a little surprised. Is Veleno our guy at 27? Maybe... I certainly expect a Center.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Boqvist>Dobson>Bouchard. Surprised they passed up Wahlstrom but they maybe they see Jokiharju and Mitchell as having same ceiling as Dobson/Bouchard but Boqvist has superstar potential. And there’s zero chance his opportunity to play on the Hawks is three years out. He’ll get games by 2019 at the latest imo. Props to Stan though. His job security is in the air, could have easily traded the 8th and went for a roster player.

On the flip side, it bides more time for Stan cause drafting a 17-year-old when he finally gets a top ten pick can't really be critiqued properly for a few years at the least.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
What is this about concussion history with regard to Boqvist? How many has the kid had

If he has had multiple concussions already at such a young age it should be major red flag

elvisisalive

Feb 20, 2007
Interesting. Thanks for sharing (no snark intended).

Why did you stop?
was a bit of a dirty business, got stabbed in the back. 2 players that I recommended, were both drafted and made the NHL. first player, even though he was a mid/late draft, was one of only 3 that played that year in the NHL. , the other is a number 1 goalie. but the credit for my work was taken by another. , im a bit of a hothead, and didn't react to that very well, and walked away, but looking back, lots of good memories, and very proud of the work I did, not only those 2 players, but others I scouted, that made it as well. I wasn't perfect, I really liked 2 other players, one became a star, the other didn't make it, but thats the nature of the business, so even now, as I watch junior players, sometimes I got players cased, other times im surprised at who made it and who didnt

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
It's an exciting pick. If Crawford cannot be expected to be back 100%, the rebuild starts now anyways so who cares if it takes an extra year or two? Boqvist has the most upside on D after Dahlin and it's wouldn't be crazy for Boqvist to turn out to be the best player in the draft. And I too would like to know about Boqvist's concussion history. I haven't read that consistently.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
What is this about concussion history with regard to Boqvist? How many has the kid had

If he has had multiple concussions already at such a young age it should be major red flag
Two this past season, apparently one before that as well.

If it makes you feel any better, he was higher than #8 on a lot of mock drafts before his last concussion. His stock slipped afterwards, but if there is a real belief amongst our scouts that it's not an issue, then the Hawks made the right move selecting him.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Look for much of the season Bobbitt was considered the 2nd best dman prospect I'm the draft and with an upside which IF realized was comparable to Erik Karlsson...He already put up more points that Karlsson in Sweden at the same age

I had stated that of all the den in this draft Boqvost has the best shot ...to compare I would say Boqvist Bouchard Dobson THEN DAHLIN 0n shot in that order and Hughes far far far behind (his shotbisvordobary)..So on shot aspect I think the Hawks got the best of them all..but there is more to Bachman than just shot...So Boqvost has some flaws ...Skating bis not one now them..he is not the magician skating around like Hughes is but he still skates very well ...better than Bouchard or Dobson..He of course is not a big dman so unlike DAHLIN Bouchard or Dobson you are going to have the strength issues. .And because he is so young ...not turning 28 till this August he still has a lot of developing to do ..But off what I saw at the world u-18 he is not as bad defensively as to call him just an offense man. .I thought he checked well and read plays well and engaged physically. .but against bigger stronger NHL pros he will need to get much stronger for those physical board battles as will ALL of Stan's smallish PMD types.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Look for much of the season Bobbitt was considered the 2nd best dman prospect I'm the draft and with an upside which IF realized was comparable to Erik Karlsson...He already put up more points that Karlsson in Sweden at the same age

I had stated that of all the den in this draft Boqvost has the best shot ...to compare I would say Boqvist Bouchard Dobson THEN DAHLIN 0n shot in that order and Hughes far far far behind (his shotbisvordobary)..So on shot aspect I think the Hawks got the best of them all..but there is more to Bachman than just shot...So Boqvost has some flaws ...Skating bis not one now them..he is not the magician skating around like Hughes is but he still skates very well ...better than Bouchard or Dobson..He of course is not a big dman so unlike DAHLIN Bouchard or Dobson you are going to have the strength issues. .And because he is so young ...not turning 28 till this August he still has a lot of developing to do ..But off what I saw at the world u-18 he is not as bad defensively as to call him just an offense man. .I thought he checked well and read plays well and engaged physically. .but against bigger stronger NHL pros he will need to get much stronger for those physical board battles as will ALL of Stan's smallish PMD types.

I like this as his new nickname

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Someone from NBCSN compared this kid to Karlsson? Is it just because he's a Swede?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Never assummed otherwise but his posts usually make me want to take an excedrin.
Only on prospects. When he talks about NHL players, he can be that guy on the street corner rambling about how the government is putting chemicals in the water to control your mind.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Wasn't expecting him to fall this far.

You guys were saying you wanted a home run, well, this is a grand slam.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
That is actually his ceiling from a talent perspective. He was a top 4 prospect all year.
So why are we complaining? We might as well roll the dice and see if we hit. I noticed that you can't win a Cup without a Norris Trophy calibre DMen. If Keith is on the downside, we need to replace him.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
So why are we complaining? We might as well roll the dice and see if we hit. I noticed that you can't win a Cup without a Norris Trophy calibre DMen. If Keith is on the downside, we need to replace him.

It is basically one person but they are really loud.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
It is basically one person but they are really loud.
My theory about drafting: as you noticed from the NBA draft, when selecting players, I look at:

1. Big picture - where's the league going? How will the game be played in 4-5 yrs?
2. Team - where is the team in the cycle? Rebuild? Contending? Adjusting?
3. Talent - this is obvious. Pick the player with the best value.
4. Need - this is roster mgmt. Pick players who fit the system & teammates.

Hence, it's obvious the league is moving towards highly skilled speedy DMen. Like it or not, the Hawks are kind of on a rebuild. Our DMen are kind of slow and can't QB the power play.

In the last 2 drafts, the Hawks have loaded up in skilled speedy DMen. Tonight, they rolled the dice with a potential Norris Trophy calibre prospect. High risk / high reward. It makes sense. And considering DMen take far longer to develop that forwards, it's logical to stock talented DMen first.

The reason why I questioned the pick of Wendell Carter last night ... I don't understand the Bulls long term strategy. The League is heading towards positionless athletic wings and they pick an old school center. With both Carter and Markannen on the floor, will they be able to defend isos and pick & rolls? They are not rim protectors. Finally, if the Bulls are rebuilding, why not take roll the dice on a high risk / high reward pick vs. the safe pick?

I get what the Hawks are thinking. I'm not so certain about the Bulls. They are just so scared to make mistakes. The Hawks are gambling to win championships. It feels like the Bulls are trying to be the 4 or 5 seed every year.

Last edited:

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Didn’t want Boqvist. He’s a project. If we wanted a gamble I like Kravtsov better and he’s a lot closer to NHL ready. Would have really preferred Wahlstrom.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
I like it. Joki and Mitchell are looking like safe bets to at the very least be solid NHLers. like many others said, this could be our superstar. Can never have too much depth at one position. Worst case scenario we pull a Nashville with Jones and move one of them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad