RD Aaron Ekblad (2014, 1st overall, Florida)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
No I don't but he if it isn't muscle what is it? It's not fat.

Like I said, it's very rare, I'm not saying it's common, but unless Ekblad has a parasite from outer space living in him that raises his weight considerably, it's safe to say it is muscle.

Point being, of pure muscle is up to interpretation. After looking at pictures at him, he's very lean. The way some were talking, I expected to see a young Flex Wheeler-type.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
206 pounds of muscle really isn't that much anyway, he's not going to look like a body builder at that weight, but it is still surprising for his age.

He does look lean, but he's definitely all muscle.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Talked to a few scouts about Ekblad this weekend. We came to the conclusion that his potential doesn't have a ceiling at this point, which is obviously very early in his hockey career. When all is said done, he could very well be the best defencemen in the NHL, winning multiple Norris' along the way.

Next year will certainly be telling, but at this stage of his development he's doing things that not a lot of (if any) defencemen have done before. Look forward to seeing him progress.

Mustangs

Jan 13, 2008
Barrie
I watched him all season (family has season tickets) and he improved leaps and bounds from the beginning of the season, mostly his skating. Due to the injuries of Colts in the Playoffs he was over played but they had no choice but to play him.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

I know there are some quality d men that seem like locks for world juniors, is there any chance he gets a shot? is it even allowed being he is a 96?

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I know there are some quality d men that seem like locks for world juniors, is there any chance he gets a shot? is it even allowed being he is a 96?

If a 12 year old was good enough he could play.

But team Canada doesn't take 16 year old on principle unless they're clearly head and shoulders above nearly every player eligible.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I happened to notice that Ekblad wasn't at the Ontario U17 camp this past week, could this mean that Hockey Canada has informed somebody in Ont. that Aaron will get an invite to the U20 selection camp in early December for a possible trip to Russia and the WJHC?

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
206 pounds of muscle really isn't that much anyway, he's not going to look like a body builder at that weight, but it is still surprising for his age.

He does look lean, but he's definitely all muscle.

Considering a human male of average height has roughly 25lbs of bones, 20lbs of internal organs, 6lbs of skin, and at least another 14lbs worth of essential fat, hair, etc... (66lbs), 206lbs of pure muscle would make him a 272lb beast. To say he wouldn't look like a body builder is not only wrong, its foolish as well.:sarcasm:

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
I happened to notice that Ekblad wasn't at the Ontario U17 camp this past week, could this mean that Hockey Canada has informed somebody in Ont. that Aaron will get an invite to the U20 selection camp in early December for a possible trip to Russia and the WJHC?

I wouldn't think too much into it.

He was already in the camp last year, and has already played in the U17s. He's also at the U18s next month.

McDavid won't be there next year either.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Full beard at 16? He's probably not going to physically develop too much more. Just a prediction. He looks like a man already.

WestCoastWild

Jul 9, 2009

My gosh, what 16 year old has a goatee... And he looks huge!

Is it me or in those clips he looks like he's an awful skater and he bends over a lot like he's hunching... He seems kinda slow in that regard also.. I hope its just me though and maybe just the clips.

He sounds like a badass prospect for '14

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
i've asked the same question in a cursory way in a couple of other thread - but i'll just beat the dead horse - does anyone have any comments re how he compares to Seth Jones at the same age?

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I call he goes 2nd overall behind one of Virtanen or Reinhart

What makes you think Virtanen is going to be so great... really don't know if the high-end offense will be there but I guess this season will be interesting. Could be more of a Gaunce/O'Reilly type mold than a #1 overall type. But again, we'll see, he is 15 right now.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
i've asked the same question in a cursory way in a couple of other thread - but i'll just beat the dead horse - does anyone have any comments re how he compares to Seth Jones at the same age?

The people who saw Jones at that age probably didn't see Ekblad at that age, but for how advanced Jones is at a young age, Ekblad seems to be even more advanced at 15 than Jones was (Just judging on comments on the both of them).

On his size, he looks even bigger than he did when TSN interviewed him right after he got exceptional status. It's stupid how much attention the Justin Bieber look-a-like in Connor McDavid gets from TSN and they talked about Ekblad only twice.

Mustangs

Jan 13, 2008
Barrie
I watched him a lot this season and people have been right to point out that he is hunched over while he skates. He was night and day in terms of his skating at the beginning and the end. He ended up double the player at the end and in the playoffs. I am very curious as to what this up coming season is going to be like for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad