GDT: Rd 2, Game 7: Avs @ Sharks | 7 PM MT | May 8, 2019 | Good season guys

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
Kypreos said it best "he is sick of talking about some BS review after every single game"

These reviews are getting rediculous.

Reactions: BigMack29

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
There is no point arguing about that call anymore, what's done is done. Hoping for solid offseason, improvements, coming back stronger next season. Avs need to work on not only making the playoffs next year, but finishing top 3 in division so they can have home ice advantage at some point in the playoffs. I mean if this game 7 was in Denver, Avs probably would advance to 3rd round. If home ice isnt that important in 1st round, it does get important in later rounds

Proud of this team and what they've accomplished, let's get stronger next year!!!

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I honestly would have been more upset about that call being wrong had it been a goal that would have given us the lead although tieing it up isn't awful. Even if that goal would have counted there is no excuse for the dumb turnover by Z that lead to the Donskoi goal. I know I know momentum in the playoffs is a motha but still who knows how that game plays out. Fact is we also got a PP right after and didn't do dick with it. ...actually all damn night we did nothing with the PP. That to me lost us the game more than the refs and the NHL being wrong but I might be in the minority on that.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I just finished watching it...

It's clear that San Jose deserved to win. How do I know that? Well, for whatever reason, likely the veteran status of their players, the referees decided that they can do things like trip, slash, and hold, and they will rarely get called for it. And when they do get called for it, you know the Avs will get a call against for a lesser offense because you know, we need to even it out.

Honestly, this was a microcosm of one my major issues this entire season. The Avalanche led the league in both power plays for and against. Does anyone really believe that the Avs are the dirtiest, most careless, most penalty-prone team in the league? No, of course not. Does anyone believe that MacKinnon forces other teams to hook, slash and hold him on almost every shift? Yes, because that's what happens. It doesn't get called nearly as often as it should, but the Avs get a lot of power plays because they earn a lot of power plays. And so what do the refs do? Well, they can't have one team getting 7 powerplays and the other team getting none, regardless of who actually commits penalties - so they even it out. Absolute, complete garbage, joke-level officiating in this league, and it's fitting it contributed greatly to our loss in game 7.

And yeah, we can talk about how the team didn't perform well enough, but when you see that the other team is literally allowed to trip you on a breakaway with no consequence, hold you, interfere with you, slash you, etc.. it's kinda hard to keep your energy and motivation up. When you're playing a game and the other player is allowed to cheat, but you're not, it's pretty deflating.

Honestly, the NHL needs to have a major overhaul in their officiating. And I'm not just saying that because I'm an Avalanche fan. Go ask Leafs fans how they feel about league officiating after their series against Boston - surprise, surprise, another veteran team. There needs to be greater accountability for missed calls and an end to "game management" where guys are sometimes allowed to break the rules and sometimes not depending on the situation and who the player is.

And yeah, I'm including that absolute bullshit offside call. Unless I see a camera angle the refs used that we haven't seen yet, there's no way you can convince me it wasn't bias that caused that goal reversal. For whatever reason, those refs didn't want Colorado to have scored that goal, because based on the camera angles I've seen, there's absolutely no way there's enough conclusive evidence to change the call on the ice.

So yeah, you add that to all the other bullshit going San Jose's way and I think it's impressive that the Avs got it within one and nearly tied it in the end. With our top line all battling injuries I thought they did really well.

And on that topic - can we please stop burying guys for poor play until we know what, if any, injuries they have been dealing with? No way Carl has been 100% healthy these playoffs. Same for EJ, and of course Landy and Mikko. Everyone want's to criticize Landy for not jumping over the boards - maybe it's literally extremely painful for him to do that - it would certainly explain why he was waiting for the door to open rather than just jumping over. I think the info that comes out soon about injuries will be very informative.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
I'm glad the Avs themselves are not blaming the refs. If they played their best game, they wouldn't be in a position where a questionable call might have made a difference. Plenty of teams have overcome bad calls before. We've seen the Avs do it before. Last night they they didn't. If they Avs grow from this, it will be by focusing on what they could have done to get a better result, and there is a lot to look at. Focusing on the call will get them nowhere.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
I honestly would have been more upset about that call being wrong had it been a goal that would have given us the lead although tieing it up isn't awful. Even if that goal would have counted there is no excuse for the dumb turnover by Z that lead to the Donskoi goal. I know I know momentum in the playoffs is a motha but still who knows how that game plays out. Fact is we also got a PP right after and didn't do dick with it. ...actually all damn night we did nothing with the PP. That to me lost us the game more than the refs and the NHL being wrong but I might be in the minority on that.

Thats the thing though. If the second goal counts everything after it happens differently. The game doesn't play out the same, no Donskoi goal or Jost goal, powerplays play out differently, hell we might get dominated there on out and lose 5-2. We don't get that scenario because the league decides that a 480P camera zoomed is enough proof that Landy lifted his entire skate off at the exact moment or he didn't tag up.

In a series where both teams scored nearly the same amount of goals up until that point, each goal matters and having a good goal taken away significantly changed the game. If we lost straight up I would have had no issues with SJ winning the cup (hard fought, clean series), but after losing like we did it would be a hard pill to swallow thinking it could've been us in their shoes.

Reactions: MarkT

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
Agreed. Honestly, I'm still very bitter about the outcome but there were a multitude of things the Avs could have done to help themselves:
  • Not sulking and essentially looking lifeless when MacKinnon went down for most of the 1st
  • Z staying calm instead of attempting that putrid puck clear
  • Landy actually playing defense on that Donskoi goal
  • Actually converting on a PP...
I said it in the GDT, I don't think the refs lost us the game, but they were the reason it wasn't 2-2 at the end of the second. What bugs me the most about the reversed call was that, I believe, the replay wasn't conclusive. If the NHL had clear photographic or video evidence that Landy was offside then please provide that evidence and then I can [sadly] live with the outcome. All we got, however, was a blurry photo and a statement from the NHL on twitter.

In all, though, the Avs had a better season than most of us could have hoped for - especially after that horrible 3-month stretch. Sportsnet showed footage of Sakic looking visibly annoyed and frustrated during the game, and I hope he realizes that it's not the time to sit and wait for our players to develop. We do have a ton of young players on our team, but a roster bolstered by strong depth players can also help with player development.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The problem is that blown call killed the entire momentum the Avs were building and gave it back to the Sharks. They proceeded to dominate us for another six or so minutes until Avs started gaining little by little back.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Sharks did score the 3rd goal after that disallowed goal, so technically it would still be a 3-2 Sharks. Who knows what the game would have been like if that goal is allowed, but like you said, it's not like it was a goal that gave the Avs a lead or was directly responsible for the Avs losing the game. No point in dwelling on that call

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
tenor.gif

kchan9

Oct 7, 2010
I don't get the media sometimes. Just because Thorton is a fossil and has been in the league for ages doesn't mean they need to ride his dick. There are many players that have been successful in the league and has come short of winning the cup. It's annoying hearing the story lines of "player X" riding into the sunset. Isn't a Cinderella story like the Canes or the Avs winning the cup better?

Reactions: MarkT and BrickNHL

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't get the media sometimes. Just because Thorton is a fossil and has been in the league for ages doesn't mean they need to ride his dick. There are many players that have been successful in the league and has come short of winning the cup. It's annoying hearing the story lines of "player X" riding into the sunset. Isn't a Cinderella story like the Canes or the Avs winning the cup better?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a broadcast slob on someone’s knob as much as they did Pavelski’s last night. It was ridiculous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad