GDT: Rd 2, Game 7: Avs @ Sharks | 7 PM MT | May 8, 2019 | Good season guys

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The problem is that blown call killed the entire momentum the Avs were building and gave it back to the Sharks. They proceeded to dominate us for another six or so minutes until Avs started gaining little by little back.
It did but one can argue atleast in these playoffs that even if that goal gets allowed that maybe that might have gotten the Sharks to wake up and go on and score three on us or something crazy. Theres really no telling how the game would have turned out with any certainty had that goal been allowed. We still had our chances to tie it right until the final minute. We couldn't. We lost.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
People in here are really STILL *****ing about the call. Like that’s the only reason they lost yesterday.

Just move on man. That’s hockey. It wasn’t even THAT cut and dry that it was a bad call to me. It wasn’t obvious and at best we’re still tied and who knows we don’t lose the game anyway. So why cry over hypotheticals?

50/50 calls didn’t go the Avs way. But they should’ve played better in multiple games and didn’t. Finished off multiple opportunities yesterday and other games and didn’t.

I'm totally with you on this. I'm not big on the what if train. Getting to the WCF didn't happen for the Avs but I guarantee you that fans on every other team are probably envious of our players, organization and and outlook. Our team has taken incredible strides over the last few years. I look at other teams with superstar players and they didn't make it as far as we did. So if that should teach us anything, it's that having that generational player doesn't necessarily guarantee you PO success. Maybe we'd be monsters if we had Kakko or Hughes. But you know, I'm pretty confident we're going to turn out all right because our team has reached its cup window. The question I have is how is Sakic going to take advantage of it?

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm totally with you on this. I'm not big on the what if train. Getting to the WCF didn't happen for the Avs but I guarantee you that fans on every other team are probably envious of our players, organization and and outlook. Our team has taken incredible strides over the last few years. I look at other teams with superstar players and they didn't make it as far as we did. So if that should teach us anything, it's that having that generational player doesn't necessarily guarantee you PO success. Maybe we'd be monsters if we had Kakko or Hughes. But you know, I'm pretty confident we're going to turn out all right because our team has reached its cup window. The question I have is how is Sakic going to take advantage of it?
He has to or he needs to leave so someone else can. Didn't seem like we learned much in the regular season compared to last season but we sure as hell learned a shit ton from losing to the Preds in the playoffs and our mini run this yr shows that. Next season the expectation should be WCF at worst or bust imo.

Reactions: BigMack29

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
A night to sleep off that loss and it still stings. My lengthy reaction to the last game of the year.

Joe Thornton must have made a deal with the devil after Pavelski got injured. After getting gifted the major that helped them come back in game 7 against the Knights, they get Pavelski back for this game 7 so he can score a big goal, MacKInnon takes himself out early in the first period and is a shell of himself after, and the refs rob the tying goal from the Avs. Can’t ask for much more than that.

Still there were obviously other things that led to this loss.

Everyone was a bundle of nerves, and playing really sloppy, reactionary hockey for the first half of the game. Just overwhelmed by the moment of game 7. You could see it in the locker room shots before the game too. Very quiet room, no happy faces, looking down at the floor. They looked the same way in their game 3 loss when they were waiting to come out on home ice for the first time in the series, and didn't look ready to playa at all. Definitely showing their experience level in some of these pressure packed games.

The defense has been the Achilles heel of this team for a long time. They’ve finally build their best D core in 15 years, but they were not good tonight, and that’s a big part of why they lost. EJ and Barrie both lost their man who ended up scoring on the first two goals, and Zadorov’s terrible backhand clear led to the third.

Grubby played great for the most part, but I didn’t like that back breaking 3rd goal. Came off his angle and left too much room for Donskoi to hit short side. It ended up being a gut punch too, robbing the team of any momentum.

Soda was terrible again. No idea if that hit early in the playoffs did something to him, but he was a complete contrast to the hard working, highly effective in all three zones Soderberg we saw in the second half of the season.

Brassard was one of the few bright spots tonight. I started laughing when they said his nickname was "big game brass" back in the day, but he came to play tonight. Didn't provide enough in his tenure, but good of him to give it his all in game 7.

Bednar has done some great coaching at the end of this year, but he deserves some heat for this as well. He’s just way too stubborn with his personnel decisions.

Jost was one of the few guys going all game. Comes up with another huge clutch goal to make it a three game goal streak but finishes with only 11:56 in ice time, and only 11 seconds in the final 7:17. That’s just a terrible decision. Do you want goals or not? How the hell do you keep the hot hand on the bench for nearly the entire final 7 minutes?

Meanwhile Kerfoot finishes with 16:45 and has 3:33 in the final 7 minutes. He was 0-4 on draws at the end of the game, but Bednar decides to put him out for multiple huge faceoffs at the end of the game, and watch him fire the puck three times into Jones pads on one of their best chances to tie the game. Decent chance Jost has the poise and hands to take a step back, roll his wrists, and chip that puck over the pad on one of the attempts.

PP was another poor personal decision from Bednar. Bennett works the tactics and deserve some heat, but Bednar makes the final decisions, especially regarding the lineups. Avs were 0 for 9 in their last two games, 1 for 20 in six games, and 2 for 23 in the series. Yet he rode the top unit into the ground, even with MacKinnon and Mikko shells of their formers selves. Should have been a no brainer to put Jost in for Wilson in the slot and give Makar some more looks to make a play. The current group just wasn't working. They basically kept the top unit out until the final 20 seconds of each PP.

Avs just got away from their physicality in this one too. They were on their heels for most of the game. They needed a momentum changing hit, but I think Bednar has them too afraid to take penalties or get out of position. Wilson had an opportunity to absolutely blow up the D man coming around the back of the net with the puck at one point, but just stopped in the corner after he passed the puck and didn’t touch him. That could have been a big momentum shifter.

Still very proud of this team the way they played down the stretch. Lots of things may have changed the Avs mind in terms of how they’ll build for the future. Both Grubauer and Barrie were the biggest reasons they made the playoffs and performed well in them. Both could have been gone but may end up being in the Avs plans now.

Congrats on a great season boys! Best in 17 years. You did all us fans that have stuck with you through the dark years proud!

Last edited:

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
I don't think they lost because of the reffing, they just came up short. They had other opportunities to get ahead in the series, but it didn't happen. Good teams don't lose because of one call a ref did or did not make.

I do hope this game is the catalyst to get rid of the offsides challenge though. I wish we were talking about the Avs' season right now, but that call was just so wrong. Really unfortunate blemish.

We don't have the resolution to conclusively overturn the call on the ice. Believe it or not the linesmen are pretty good at their job. If there's some secret angle that the replay official had, then show it. Also, and usually my main gripe with overturned goals from the offsides review, the player in question has about as close to zero impact on the play as he possibly could have. Back turned to the play, 70 feet away from the net, not even moving, hasn't touched the puck. He's not even considered a player on the ice for the purpose of rule 70. It's also not like San Jose's players just gave up on the play because they thought it was offside either, they played right up until the goal was scored.

I just don't think it's in the spirit of the game to make an interpretation (not an observation) on a blown up blurry still image. Or in other cases, do some weird math angle shit to determine a player is less than one millimeter offside when it had no bearing on the play. The game is way too dynamic and it is impossible to call it like that. Not every hooking call is a hooking call, not every too many men is a too many men, not every goaltender interference is goaltender interference, etc. If they want to keep the offsides challenge they should allow the referees and the replay official to use their discretion in a similar way they would with other calls.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacBradley

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Let's just move on, the league wants Thornton to win his cup, the call is made, Sharks win two rounds, 1st round for sure thanks to refs, I'm not gonna say this one also because that disallowed goal was only gonna be a tying goal, it wasn't a game winning goal for the Avs or anything. But sooner people put this behind them, better it would be

Reactions: Mules

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I laugh at all the comments that we just need to move on from the call, and "that's hockey" or it was a questionable as to if it was a bad call or not. To that I say f*** that shit.

What I watched last night was not hockey. The NHL wanted SJ to move on so that's what they got. I mean come on that was easily one worst attempts at calling a fair game that I've ever seen.

3 SJ PPs in the first period alone? 2 of which came off of highly suspect calls that they hadn't been making all series. To come out of that period only down one goal was a minor miracle.

But if that wasn't enough they went ahead and made one of the worst goal reversals I've ever witnessed. And still the NHL refuses to defend themselves. Don't you think if there was a clear shot of the offside being legit, they'd released it by now? Especially since there are numerous media outlets questioning the call. By them not releasing anything it's IMO an admission of guilt that they made the wrong call. Typically when you have evidence to defend your stance and everyone is calling you out why would you hide it. Release the evidence and put all your doubters and haters to rest. But guess what they don't have that evidence because it doesn't exist. And the NHL is trying to keep it hush hush so they don't look bad after the debacle of the first round gaff against Vegas. They are hoping it will all just go away if they don't say anything.

But then we can move on to the next BS part of the game when MacKinnon, injury aside, was going to walk in all alone with a good chance and all of a sudden both feet get swept away by Karlsson in a clear as day trip that couldn't possibly been missed by the refs as it was the only thing happening on the ice, no call, nothing. Apparently if your name is Karlsson the rules of hockey don't apply to you. Gaudreau in the first round gets a penalty shot for a lesser infraction, we don't even get a PP.

Sure we could have played a bit better, (although I don't feel we played all that bad) but really we had no chance what so ever. The refs were simply not going to let that happen. It's really disgusting to me that a series that I felt up to this point, had been reffed in a reasonably fair manner through 6 games came down to such a disgusting display of ineptitude in game 7. I don't feel like SJ beat us, I feel like they played well, but got lots of help from the Zebras who wanted to be the focal point of the game instead of the players.

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
Let's just move on, the league wants Thornton to win his cup, the call is made, Sharks win two rounds, 1st round for sure thanks to refs, I'm not gonna say this one also because that disallowed goal was only gonna be a tying goal, it wasn't a game winning goal for the Avs or anything. But sooner people put this behind them, better it would be
I don't think anyone is seriously saying that we were robbed the game by the call. We had our chances to overcome it, but didn't. Even the call in round 1, the Knights still had to let in 4 goals and they got the game to overtime. They had their chance to overcome the call, but didn't.

Just like the call in round 1, I think it's a disservice to the game to just brush something like this under the rug and let it continue to happen. At the very least the offsides challenge deserves to be discussed.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Exactly, it wasn't clear so there's no way they should've taken a goal away. That's completely ****ed.

It was very cut and dry that it was a bad call.

Absolutely without question they got it wrong. And sure you could say that getting it right still doesn't guarantee an Avs win last night. But it would have made a hell of a difference.

2-2 halfway through the second and all the momentum after tying it up from being down 2-0 in the 1st. Or 3-1 down after a missed call reverses your goal and the Sharks score just a couple minutes later and have all the momentum in the game again and a massive mountain to climb for the Avs.

It was a huge difference and if you get that call right you could absolutely be talking about Avs/Blues game 1 Saturday instead of what gold course the boys get to play on first this week.

End of the day it’s crying over spilled milk, lads. Playing this whole what if game is pointless.

The Vegas thing even. Ok ya the penalty was brutal. But you still don’t give up 4 in 4 minutes if you wanna make it through. But at least the gripe is fair that with no penalty there’s a 1 in a million chance of a comeback.

At best our gripe is still we’d have a 50/50 shot. We had 19 minutes to score that 3rd goal. We didn’t. It happens. It happened. It’ll continue to happen as long as pro sports exist. I don’t like the reversal either. But I’m not of the assumption Toronto wanted San Jose to win. So I believe they genuinely believe they made the right call. And I can ,and will have to, live with that.

Just move on... Half full. It was a great season. Be thankful you’re a fan of a team that has dynastic upside. Most fans never see a championship. With the right moves we may see multiple. We weren’t winning the next 10 regardless and heartbreaking seasons happen to the best teams

Reactions: The Kingslayer

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I don't think anyone is seriously saying that we were robbed the game by the call. We had our chances to overcome it, but didn't. Even the call in round 1, the Knights still had to let in 4 goals and they got the game to overtime. They had their chance to overcome the call, but didn't.

Just like the call in round 1, I think it's a disservice to the game to just brush something like this under the rug and let it continue to happen. At the very least the offsides challenge deserves to be discussed.
Bad calls happen all the time, unfortunately some end up deciding outcome of important games, but you're right, Vegas didnt have to give up 4 goals on that penalty, or Landeskog didnt have to take his sweet time getting into the bench, so you can look at it two ways, either bad calls decided the games or Sharks were better than Vegas and the Avs.

Dont think Sharks are scoring 4 goals and winning the series without that major penalty, so technically the call has dictated the outcome of the Vegas Sharks series, and perhaps the Avs series too. Its just time to move on, what's done is done, cant bring anything back

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
End of the day it’s crying over spilled milk, lads. Playing this whole what if game is pointless.

The Vegas thing even. Ok ya the penalty was brutal. But you still don’t give up 4 in 4 minutes if you wanna make it through. But at least the gripe is fair that with no penalty there’s a 1 in a million chance of a comeback.

At best our gripe is still we’d have a 50/50 shot. We had 19 minutes to score that 3rd goal. We didn’t. It happens. It happened. It’ll continue to happen as long as pro sports exist. I don’t like the reversal either. But I’m not of the assumption Toronto wanted San Jose to win. So I believe they genuinely believe they made the right call. And I can ,and will have to, live with that.

Just move on... Half full. It was a great season. Be thankful you’re a fan of a team that has dynastic upside. Most fans never see a championship. With the right moves we may see multiple. We weren’t winning the next 10 regardless and heartbreaking seasons happen to the best teams
Unless the NHL is gonna call both teams and say we need to play the game over starting at 2-2 there really is no sense complaining at this point. Nothing we can do about it now. Joe or someone else in the FO should make a public stink and thus far I have heard nothing. We were given a PP right after that goal got taken away and what did we do with it? Nothing. That play happened in the second period we had plenty of time to get back in it and what did we do? Nothing. Alot of posters in here are upset and its understandable but lets not devolve into that fan base thats gonna whine about this sorta thing. We dont have a choice but to move on because there aint a damn thing anyone in here can do it about it.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Bad calls happen all the time, unfortunately some end up deciding outcome of important games, but you're right, Vegas didnt have to give up 4 goals on that penalty, or Landeskog didnt have to take his sweet time getting into the bench, so you can look at it two ways, either bad calls decided the games or Sharks were better than Vegas and the Avs.

Dont think Sharks are scoring 4 goals and winning the series without that major penalty, so technically the call has dictated the outcome of the Vegas Sharks series, and perhaps the Avs series too. Its just time to move on, what's done is done, cant bring anything back
I dont know if I should be worried that both you and I are so calm about this lol. Moreso than some normally even keel posters on here.

Reactions: the_fan

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I dont know if I should be worried that both you and I are so calm about this lol. Moreso than some normally even keel posters on here.
Seriously, we've tortured ourselves enough being Avs fans and going through years and years of rebuild and struggles. Now that this team has shown they belong in contender conversation, I'm gonna forget that game 7, be happy with what this team did this year, and looking very much forward to the next season as I believe more good things to come

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
I laugh at all the comments that we just need to move on from the call, and "that's hockey" or it was a questionable as to if it was a bad call or not. To that I say **** that ****.

What I watched last night was not hockey. The NHL wanted SJ to move on so that's what they got. I mean come on that was easily one worst attempts at calling a fair game that I've ever seen.

3 SJ PPs in the first period alone? 2 of which came off of highly suspect calls that they hadn't been making all series. To come out of that period only down one goal was a minor miracle.

But if that wasn't enough they went ahead and made one of the worst goal reversals I've ever witnessed. And still the NHL refuses to defend themselves. Don't you think if there was a clear shot of the offside being legit, they'd released it by now? Especially since there are numerous media outlets questioning the call. By them not releasing anything it's IMO an admission of guilt that they made the wrong call. Typically when you have evidence to defend your stance and everyone is calling you out why would you hide it. Release the evidence and put all your doubters and haters to rest. But guess what they don't have that evidence because it doesn't exist. And the NHL is trying to keep it hush hush so they don't look bad after the debacle of the first round gaff against Vegas. They are hoping it will all just go away if they don't say anything.

But then we can move on to the next BS part of the game when MacKinnon, injury aside, was going to walk in all alone with a good chance and all of a sudden both feet get swept away by Karlsson in a clear as day trip that couldn't possibly been missed by the refs as it was the only thing happening on the ice, no call, nothing. Apparently if your name is Karlsson the rules of hockey don't apply to you. Gaudreau in the first round gets a penalty shot for a lesser infraction, we don't even get a PP.

Sure we could have played a bit better, (although I don't feel we played all that bad) but really we had no chance what so ever. The refs were simply not going to let that happen. It's really disgusting to me that a series that I felt up to this point, had been reffed in a reasonably fair manner through 6 games came down to such a disgusting display of ineptitude in game 7. I don't feel like SJ beat us, I feel like they played well, but got lots of help from the Zebras who wanted to be the focal point of the game instead of the players.
Love it

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019

Yes bad calls happen all the time, that is just the nature of the game. I haven't once said that the Sharks weren't the better team in the series' that they played, because I don't think those game 7 calls solely decided those games. I don't blame refereeing because I believe good teams don't let bad calls affect them, and actually thought this series was called very fairly. I'm not arguing on what ifs, because we are beyond that.

What I am saying is that there is a flaw in the NHL rulebook, and every time that this happens I will continue to call it for what it is. I would not feel different about this situation if it was the Avs getting the benefit over the Sharks. Offsides challenge is just very poorly implemented and the league needs to do something about it. A game 7 in the playoffs should be enough of a wake up call.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
Absolutely can't bring myself to blame the refs. Yes, it was a shitty call... But I was much angrier about the sequence that led to that third goal going in. Just as Vegas should've killed the god damn penalty or stopped the bleeding.

Way I see it... injuries probably killed the team's chances more than officiating could have. Rantanen - toast. Soderberg had to have been hurt. And MacKinnon VS Boards was one of the most important battles of game 7. I'm probably missing a few other key guys too. Landeskog? EJ? Speculating but neither was at their best and it was a night and day sort of difference

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah the refs were not good during these playoffs. The miss call on Mack's trip by Karlsson really ticks me off but those are missed calls. I'll be mad but I get over it. Games are usually not decided on those missed calls. But that overturned goal is something totally different. This was done by Toronto with video review. How they can overturn that goal without conclusive evidence is behind me. Furthermore there WAS evidence he tagged up as you can see the toe of his skate over the line before the puck entered the zone. There is absolutely no conclusive evidence that he put himself back offside before the puck entered. That the situation room gets this call wrong while still using video review is blowing my mind. Those are the call that I can't let go. It's 24 hrs later and I'm still fuming about it and this is coming from a guy that prior to the game I said whatever the outcome I was proud of these guys and their season. This is not about the loss itself because we might have lost the game anyway but this call altered the flow of the game.

/rant

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I laugh at all the comments that we just need to move on from the call, and "that's hockey" or it was a questionable as to if it was a bad call or not. To that I say **** that ****.

What good will it do dwelling on the call, keep talking about it? It's done, it's not the 1st bad call and wont be the last one. Moving on is the rational thing to do IMO

Reactions: UncleRisto

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
What good will it do dwelling on the call, keep talking about it? It's done, it's not the 1st bad call and wont be the last one. Moving on is the rational thing to do IMO
Of course the only rational thing to do is move on. And yes I will move on from it eventually.

I just think there needs to be some closure. The NHL needs to either release their "evidence" that the call was right or they need to come out and say it was missed. Either man up to the mistake or prove you are right. So everyone wondering or trying to figure this out and can have some closure.

It won't change anything but it would be nice to have some clarity on the issue.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Of course the only rational thing to do is move on. And yes I will move on from it eventually.

I just think there needs to be some closure. The NHL needs to either release their "evidence" that the call was right or they need to come out and say it was missed. Either man up to the mistake or prove you are right. So everyone wondering or trying to figure this out and can have some closure.

It won't change anything but it would be nice to have some clarity on the issue.
I hear what you're saying, but I doubt the NHL is gonna apologize twice in one playoffs for horrid calls. They already apologized to Vegas, doing it again will probably make them look even worse than they already are, so dont think it's coming

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I've got no interest in obsessing over the video. It's not going to change anything. If someone in the league office obsesses over it and gets the ball rolling to modify the rules, so be it, they can do something about it. We can't.

The season is over because they ended up playing a do or die game 7 in a tough place to play, and they didn't play well enough to overcome the many obstacles they faced, whether it was having to win a game 7 in the shark tank, or having a goal called back. This will fuel them next year to be in a better position, so game 7s might be at the Pepsi Center, or they are ready give their best effort in a game 7 on the road. Had they done that yesterday there might be more of a reason to isolate the call as a reason they lost. But there are so many other reasons.

That was the mindset of the 2000 team when they lost in Dallas in the WCF. Next season, home ice throughout the playoffs so any game 7 gets played at the Can.

It worked too!!

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Unless the NHL is gonna call both teams and say we need to play the game over starting at 2-2 there really is no sense complaining at this point. Nothing we can do about it now. Joe or someone else in the FO should make a public stink and thus far I have heard nothing. We were given a PP right after that goal got taken away and what did we do with it? Nothing. That play happened in the second period we had plenty of time to get back in it and what did we do? Nothing. Alot of posters in here are upset and its understandable but lets not devolve into that fan base thats gonna whine about this sorta thing. We dont have a choice but to move on because there aint a damn thing anyone in here can do it about it.
I don't want Joe to make a public stink about it.

What I do want him to do is fight like hell against the idiotic/moronic/whatever you want to call them GM's that are actually in favour of this bull**** rule being a part of the game, and to get rid of it.

The Deadspin article today was spot on. Imagine someone brand new to the game of hockey watching last night, their very first game. They see that play happen, and then they see the ensuing review and realize that a player not even remotely involved in the play is the reason the goal was overturned.

As a new fan, why the **** would you want to continue watching that sport?

The NHL needs to abolish the offside rule once and for all. I mean even the staunchest of supporters on XM Radio today, Steve Kouleas and Matthew Barnaby, are saying it has to go after what happened last night. Barnaby has been pro-review since review came out and he couldn't defend it's use after last night. It has to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->