Raymond/Edvinsson vs Sanderson/Eklund

Which wing and defensemen combo would you prefer?

• Total voters

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
According to one sports book, Bovada, Lucas Raymond has the 2nd best odds to win the Calder behind Cole Caufield. Seider is 5th. Wow

Odds Shark
@OddsShark

Odds to win the 2022 Calder Trophy: (Bovada) Cole Caufield +115 Lucas Raymond +225 Vasily Podkolzin +400 Nick Robertson +400 Moritz Seider +1200 Quinton Byfield +1600 Trevor Zegras +2000 Jamie Drysdale +2000 #NHLTwitter #NHL #Hockey #gamblingtwitter #sportsbetting

Yeah, it's been discussed. We believe they're looking for suckers to bet on Raymond as a "sure thing". Then they run to the bank when he's only getting a cup of coffee this year.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Seider at +1200 seems like a good bet to make…

I agree. He has the physicality to his game that will get him noticed even if he isn't the D leader in points. I could see a Zetterberg vs. Barret Jackman kind of race. I don't see any of those forwards that scream I'm going to come in and put up 50+ points to run away with it.

I highly doubt Raymond makes the team full time. I see late season callups but I think Berggren has the better chance of the two.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Seider at +1200 seems like a good bet to make…

I agree. He has the physicality to his game that will get him noticed even if he isn't the D leader in points. I could see a Zetterberg vs. Barret Jackman kind of race. I don't see any of those forwards that scream I'm going to come in and put up 50+ points to run away with it.

I highly doubt Raymond makes the team full time. I see late season callups but I think Berggren has the better chance of the two.
I put $100 on Seider through Bovada.

K36tPnT.png

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Money, meet mouth.

I think your only real concern is Cole Caufield lighting it up. That's a hell of a good bet.

I know his team isn't all that dangerous, but Zegras is still hanging out there at +1000. That could be a scary proposition if he pops. I think it's probably a 3 horse race, because for every question mark about Zegras' team has, Seider's has the same. Hell even Spencer Knight could be dangerous if Bob drags ass this year. I just envision Bob opening the door and Knight kicks it in.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I know his team isn't all that dangerous, but Zegras is still hanging out there at +1000. That could be a scary proposition if he pops. I think it's probably a 3 horse race, because for every question mark about Zegras' team has, Seider's has the same. Hell even Spencer Knight could be dangerous if Bob drags ass this year. I just envision Bob opening the door and Knight kicks it in.

These are all great reasons I never gamble. This is the dialogue of my inner anxiety, even if it's a sum I could afford to lose.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
These are all great reasons I never gamble. This is the dialogue of my inner anxiety, even if it's a sum I could afford to lose.

I bet a very small amount on Hideki Matsuyama to win the Masters this year at +3300 and this gave me so much unbridled, undeserved confidence that I’ve gone on to lose probably 95% of every bet since, no matter how much confidence I have in it. To the point where I really just stopped betting on everything.

Now when football starts up, it’ll be a bit more difficult. My fear with betting on Seider here…not to kick Ricelund in the balls on anything but…how much do we actually trust the NHL to reward a player whose impact will largely be felt defensively? How many times have we talked about how the Norris or Selke doesn’t value defense as much as it should considering the supposed history of the award? That would scare me a good amount

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
My fear with betting on Seider here…not to kick Ricelund in the balls on anything but…how much do we actually trust the NHL to reward a player whose impact will largely be felt defensively? How many times have we talked about how the Norris or Selke doesn’t value defense as much as it should considering the supposed history of the award? That would scare me a good amount
Yeah, it’s definitely a long shot but I think he has a solid chance. He’s excelled almost immediately at every level and he’s stepping onto a team where he has a chance at being the #1 defenseman out of the gate. If he logs big minutes and the Wings are competitive, I can see him getting some Calder buzz for sure.

Last edited:

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I put $50 on Zegras at +1000. He’s now the favorite at +125…

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I bet a very small amount on Hideki Matsuyama to win the Masters this year at +3300 and this gave me so much unbridled, undeserved confidence that I’ve gone on to lose probably 95% of every bet since, no matter how much confidence I have in it. To the point where I really just stopped betting on everything.

Now when football starts up, it’ll be a bit more difficult. My fear with betting on Seider here…not to kick Ricelund in the balls on anything but…how much do we actually trust the NHL to reward a player whose impact will largely be felt defensively? How many times have we talked about how the Norris or Selke doesn’t value defense as much as it should considering the supposed history of the award? That would scare me a good amount
That's in part why the payout is so large.
I'm thinking of putting a hundred on Seider but I will wait till just before the season starts. Make sure he isn't injured and I don't think the odds will change much till then.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I mean he will, but I truly don’t understand where this doubt is coming from.
I think it's a very reasonable debate. Eklund is younger and producing better. When I watch them do I think Raymond has better skills and does better on the eye test? Yes, but it's pretty reasonable to prefer the guy that's producing better

Reactions: lilidk

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I mean he will, but I truly don’t understand where this doubt is coming from.

I think they're both very comparable as prospect, which seems to be a very unpopular opinion on these boards, but I believe I've heard a couple Athletic podcasts, Goran Stubb and Craig Button also say as much. When I watched Eklund he had the kind of season that I hoped Raymond would have but if both are in the AHL next year then Raymond in GR and Eklund on the Barricuda could be fun to watch and give us a better idea of what each player can be.

Right now, to me, they both look like they could have similar impacts at the NHL level. At worst I think they're William Nylander or Nikolaj Ehlers level wingers; Legit top 6 wingers good for 60ish points a season but are the 2nd best players on their lines. At best I think they're 70-80 guys that are the drivers on their lines. Raymond is a little more puck dominant as a playmaker so he'd be good on a line with a guy that is better as a set shooter like Zadina. Eklund is probably a little more dual threat as a goal scorer so I can see him doing better on a line with a guy like Berggren that can also make plays.

Although I preferred Eklund to Edvinsson I can see the reasoning behind the pick and have become a much bigger fan after seeing Edvinsson is going to be 1st pair in the SHL this year. I still think that New Jersey and Columbus were downright idiotic for passing on Eklund AND Edvinsson for Hughes and Johnson, though.

Reactions: golffuul

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Sure, same. I was extremely disappointed we didn’t take him, I watched a lot of the SHL last season, that said, Raymond is still a better prospect than Eklund.
For not many games I watched Eklund and Holtz last year, my observation was Holtz could not be productive without Eklund. Eklund it's kinda like Aho in Carolina, something Red Wings really need

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think they're both very comparable as prospect, which seems to be a very unpopular opinion on these boards, but I believe I've heard a couple Athletic podcasts, Goran Stubb and Craig Button also say as much. When I watched Eklund he had the kind of season that I hoped Raymond would have but if both are in the AHL next year then Raymond in GR and Eklund on the Barricuda could be fun to watch and give us a better idea of what each player can be.

Right now, to me, they both look like they could have similar impacts at the NHL level. At worst I think they're William Nylander or Nikolaj Ehlers level wingers; Legit top 6 wingers good for 60ish points a season but are the 2nd best players on their lines. At best I think they're 70-80 guys that are the drivers on their lines. Raymond is a little more puck dominant as a playmaker so he'd be good on a line with a guy that is better as a set shooter like Zadina. Eklund is probably a little more dual threat as a goal scorer so I can see him doing better on a line with a guy like Berggren that can also make plays.

Although I preferred Eklund to Edvinsson I can see the reasoning behind the pick and have become a much bigger fan after seeing Edvinsson is going to be 1st pair in the SHL this year. I still think that New Jersey and Columbus were downright idiotic for passing on Eklund AND Edvinsson for Hughes and Johnson, though.

If we'd drafted Hughes and Johnson, you'd be all about them, is my guess.
Hughes as great potential.
Johnson is bit more iffy, but I think he has more development room than Beniers and could be the kind of guy who drives offense for years to come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad